Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Alaska Garden Toplef10Alaska Garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Alaska Garden I22gcj10Alaska Garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Alaska Garden Toplef10Alaska Garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Alaska Garden I22gcj10Alaska Garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Alaska Garden

+3
BackyardBirdGardner
Goosegirl
kpreston46
7 posters

Go down

Alaska Garden Empty Alaska Garden

Post  kpreston46 4/23/2011, 7:55 pm

I am just getting started on my SFG. The book cautions about placing the box too close to a tree. The only place I have is 3-4 feet from a birch tree. I am considering putting a plywood bottom on my box and putting it up on cinder blocks, however I am worried that having the box open underneath will allow cooler air to circulate and cool the soil temperature particularly in the spring and fall. I need every growing day I can get and don't want to lose days on either end of the season.

There is no forum for Alaska, but parts of Canada have very similar conditions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Karin
kpreston46

Back to top Go down

Alaska Garden Empty Re: Alaska Garden

Post  Goosegirl 4/23/2011, 9:01 pm

Alaska Garden 396615 flower Alaska Garden 396615 flower Alaska Garden 396615

I'm not in Alaska or Canada, but I do have a similar growing season. I am in NE SD, and until I looked up your climate zone and compared it to mine, I had always thought I was in 4B, but I am in 4A! It looks like you are on the line between 3 and 4. Ain't it wonderful?!Alaska Garden 695909 There are LOTS of members from Canada with LOTS of experience that will be able to help you. I am on my first year with SFG and this is all new to me, but definitely an adventure!

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/23/2011, 10:13 pm

Welcome aboard, Karin! Love Alaskan members.

You are right...every growing day matters up there. Have you started seeds inside before? It may be worth looking into to get the most of your growing season. I would also look into covers and hoop houses someday for extending your growing season a bit longer. They aren't that expensive when compared to the initial startup cost in building a bed from scratch.

Please do post some pictures when you get the chance. I would love to see both your garden and some Alaskan surroundings.

Ask any question that comes to mind. We are here to help. Hope to see more of you around.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/24/2011, 12:04 am

Alaska Garden 396615 Hi there. There are a few of you on the forum from Alaska. I grew up in the Yukon right next door to you! Now I live in central British Columbia.....Prince George to be exact. We have about three weeks more frost free days here than we did in Whitehorse. It is amazing though how many wonderful gardens there are up north there. Even with the fewer frost free days than they have down south, the perpetual daylight up there for June and July, makes a huge difference.

You are right about trying to conserve heat, especially at the beginning and the end of the season. If I were doing SFG om Whitehorse, I would attach a slab of 2" styrofoam on the bottom of the boxes. I have done that here for the inside of my cold frame and for some of my planters that I keep stuff in all year round. You may have to figure out something for drainage but obviously drilling holes in the styrofoam will be counter product. You know how they put insulated skirting around mobile homes up there. Perhaps you could adapt that idea for your raised boxes.

Hoop houses for the top are an excellent idea. The trick with using the hoop houses, cold frames, etc. is getting the stuff uncovered during the day. I lose more stuff due to things getting too hot during the day than I do to the cold. Clear spring weather has such a wide variation between overnight lows and daytime highs. Today we had a 22 degree difference. It was minus 6 Celsius this morning when I got up. Still -1C when I left for work and up to +16 C this afternoon.

Others might have more ideas.

Nice to see you here.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/24/2011, 12:15 am

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get more information that will help you.
I, too, understand the long daylight hours of summer are a big advantage for those in Alaska making plant growth exceptional.
Good luck.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Alaska Garden Empty Reply from Alaska Garden

Post  kpreston46 4/24/2011, 12:27 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome and helpful advice. I think adding skirting around the raised bed may solve the problem of cold nights. Apparently in warmer climes, having a raised bed is used because it heats up faster. With the skirting, maybe I can take advantage of this and prevent too much cooling at night. I still have a few weeks before there is only a 10% chance of another frost.

BTW - how can I find out what zone I am in?

Thanks again.
kpreston46

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/24/2011, 12:56 pm

Here's a link that you can check to see what gardening zone you are in. Where in Alaska are you? I am familiar with a fair bit of Alaska since we spent a lot of time vacationing there while we lived in the Yukon. My favourite area ever is the Kenai Penn. I love Soldotna. We have spent time in Haines, Skagway, Anchorage and Fairbanks. The Matanuska valley had a fairly large dairy production if I remember correctly. I have fond memories of a high school trip to university in Fairbanks. A couple of friends and I got in some trouble and got ourselves suspended from school when we got back home over partying in the men's dormitory. Wink It was in the days before co-ed dorms. It is kind of a good thing they didn't discover the Canadian beer we smuggled in to Alaska in our suitcases or it might have been an international incident.

Anyway, about the gardening.......besides the skirting to keep the cold from the bottom of your planter, don't forget to cover it by sunset in the evening in the spring and in the fall. That helps to keep the heat in over night.

Best of luck.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/24/2011, 4:53 pm

Alaska Garden 654548 Karin Alaska Garden 654548

You can check out your zone on the links listed in the following post REGIONS AND ZONES (I think Gwynn got so caught up in her story about playing in the men's dormitories, she forgot to insert the link Razz )

So glad you joined us. Many of us try to push the envelope and use the 50% average last frost date for planting, especially if we are able to use hoops and covers to help store a bit of warmth overnight. As BackyardBirdGardener said, hoops and covers are not very expensive.

Please keep us updated on your progress, and yes, we I love you pictures.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Alaska Garden Empty Alaska Garden

Post  kpreston46 4/24/2011, 8:33 pm

I am in Anchorage, Alaska. Thanks for the links. It looks like I am in Zone 4. I have lived in several places in Alaska. I had a large row garden when I lived in Eagle (a small community on the Yukon River) and a smaller one when i lived in Fairbanks. I even grew cucumbers in the house when I lived in Nome. This will be the first time I have tried in Anchorage. We have a lot of cloudy, cool days here, but I am hopeful I can get the plants that like cool, shady days to grow. Of course I will have to try one of the varieties of tomatoes that have been developed for this area. Everyone has to try at least once. Smile

I will probably get things started in about 2 weeks when we hit the 50% chance of no more freezing nights. I will have a cover for the beds.

Thanks again.
Karin
kpreston46

Back to top Go down

Alaska Garden Empty Alaska garden

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/24/2011, 9:09 pm

kpreston, you might want to get acquainted with some gardners just to the north of you. Folks in the Matanuska Valley grow tons of vegetables, i.e., cabbages so big one can't carry but one at a time. Part of it's the long hours of sun, but probably some veggie varieties have been bred to be especially successful in your area. Looking forward to more posts from you and your garden!
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down