Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I feel like a troll Toplef10I feel like a troll 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I feel like a troll I22gcj10I feel like a troll 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I feel like a troll Toplef10I feel like a troll 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I feel like a troll I22gcj10I feel like a troll 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by sanderson Today at 3:39 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

I feel like a troll

+6
kerriejo1961
boffer
Glendale-gardener
Old Hippie
BackyardBirdGardner
slotti
10 posters

Go down

I feel like a troll Empty I feel like a troll

Post  slotti 4/7/2011, 10:32 pm

I've been reading the forums but never introduced myself (or posted for that matter). Oops. Smile

Hey! I'm in Ohio and I'm new to being in charge of a garden. We always had a garden growing up (we had more garden than lawn!) and I was in charge of the rose row, the mailbox row (random flowers and bushes), and the bushes near the house. We all helped with the food garden. I have wanted a garden ever since I left home but haven't done it yet. Now I live in a house and I'm TOTALLY READY for a garden. It's April and I still don't have my beds made. But I made a list of supplies I need including the stuff for Mel's Mix. My seeds list is started but I have no specific garden plan yet. I feel a little overwhelmed but I'm so excited to be starting and be able to eat homegrown, fresh vegetables this year.
slotti
slotti

Female Posts : 13

Back to top Go down

I feel like a troll Empty Re: I feel like a troll

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/7/2011, 10:44 pm

Welcome aboard, troll.......errr, slotti. (My sarcasm got the best of me there.)

It's good to have you posting. I'm sure you know your way around. And, I'm sure you realize how friendly everyone is. Feel free to add questions or contributions as you see fit.

I can remember when I made the plunge and built my first garden. I was so excited! Like you, I had waited YEARS to jump into the waters. I never looked back, and I'm sure you won't either.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/7/2011, 10:56 pm

Welcome Slotti!! I feel like a troll 396615 I am not in your area or anywhere close to it. I am over the border to the north and west of you in British Columbia, Canada. But I wanted to welcome you to the forum. This is a great place to hang out as you have discovered. Thank you for introducing yourself to us. We LOVE getting to know our new members.

It is wonderful to live in a place where you can have a garden....even a small one. If you are feeling overwhelmed, may I suggest that you start small this year. Maybe only one box and a couple of container pots. Maybe you are not at all like me. I start off with lots of enthusiasm and energy and grand ideas and it is not too long before I find I have plans and ideas that I don't have the time or the energy to carry out. Then I get discouraged and end up feeling like a failure for wasting money and product and so on.

But I would suggest that for this year you keep it small to see how you like gardening this way. I have a sneaking suspicion you will be totally hooked on it but there is always next year too. I would encourage you to follow the book closely. Use genuine Mel's mix for your boxes so that you don't have to worry about weeds and so on. Sometimes just rounding up all the ingredients for the mix can be a bit of a chore and depending on what is available in your area can be pricey too. But it is only the first year that you will have that expense. And it is worth it.

Make a list of the veggies you like best and plant some of those. When we are converting from row gardening to sFG it can be tempting to still plant the same way but it is not necessary. Follow the planting charts in the book and you won't go wrong.

Feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations. The more the merrier. And if you can post pictures, that would be wonderful.

Thanks for introducing yourself.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 4/7/2011, 11:05 pm

Welcome Slotti!

From your neighbor to the South!
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  slotti 4/7/2011, 11:07 pm

Thank you for the welcomes!

I think the overwhelming feeling is more from... oh, how to explain. I've never really thought about it. I'm super gung-ho about the garden. I am VERY motivated to start with more than one 4x4 but I am limiting myself at three boxes and I have a suspicion that I will want to increase next year. I have Mel's book in hand (and I've read it about three times in the past six months). I am so following him to the T. I guess it is the plant placement that stresses me. And my mind hasn't quite wrapped itself around crop rotation. But hey, that's what I'm on the forums for. For HELP! Tomorrow (hopefully) I am sitting down with my list of vegetables that I want and try to figure out good placement for them.
slotti
slotti

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 4/7/2011, 11:11 pm

Good luck. I am in the same spot as you. I have an overwhelming desire to plant stuff! I'm starting with 3 beds and a bunch of pots, I have MM out the wazoo, I just need to figure out the seasonal crop stuff and grid location!
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/7/2011, 11:11 pm

Welcome. Old Hippie is just full of it...full of the right advice, I mean!

For me, the last line of your post is the most important.

...I'm so excited to be starting and be able to eat homegrown, fresh vegetables this year.

That's why I grow veggies. That's why I'm hooked on SFG. It's simple and fool proof.

Happy gardening the SFG way!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  kerriejo1961 4/7/2011, 11:18 pm

Welcome! I am new here, too, and can relate to Old Hippie about starting with grand plans and not having the time or energy to follow through! SO... I started with ONE... just ONE... 4x4. I don't get crop rotation or succession planting yet either, but am counting on having time to read about it before actually needing to do it, lol... I still have a couple squares to fill... but I've got a start. Anxiously excited!!
kerriejo1961
kerriejo1961

Female Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/7/2011, 11:26 pm

kerriejo1961 wrote:Welcome! I am new here, too, and can relate to Old Hippie about starting with grand plans and not having the time or energy to follow through! SO... I started with ONE... just ONE... 4x4. I don't get crop rotation or succession planting yet either, but am counting on having time to read about it before actually needing to do it, lol... I still have a couple squares to fill... but I've got a start. Anxiously excited!!

Well, welcome aboard to you, too, if I haven't said so yet.

Succession requires some experience imo. But, it can be done with some note tracking until you get into a rhythm. You'll look back in a couple of seasons and think it's no big deal. But, until then, it requires a little concentration......every two weeks....lol.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 4/8/2011, 7:19 am

If it makes you feel any better, your not a troll, you were a lurker ... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

A lurker is a person who reads discussions but rarely or never participates actively.

A troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum

So welcome to the forums; we're glad you were never a troll and glad you are no longer a lurker ..LOL Wink
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  slotti 4/8/2011, 8:08 am

Oh, yes, I quite like that distinction. Plus, lurkers are just dirty and need a shower. Trolls start o ugly so there's no hope for them anyway. Laughing
slotti
slotti

Back to top Go down

Post  kerriejo1961 4/9/2011, 8:07 am

Thanks for the welcome, BBG!! I feel like a troll 109486

Nice definition of lurker and troll! I hadn't even heard of a troll... don't wanna be one!!
kerriejo1961
kerriejo1961

Back to top Go down

I feel like a troll Empty troll

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/9/2011, 12:24 pm

Kerriejo, off subject question: Are there still huge rose gardens in Tyler? I've not been there for over 30 years.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 4/9/2011, 12:43 pm

Yes, Acara, thanks for the distinction - and Welcome Slotti-never-a-troll-no-longer-a-lurker!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  kerriejo1961 4/10/2011, 11:26 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Kerriejo, off subject question: Are there still huge rose gardens in Tyler? I've not been there for over 30 years.

Yes, there are!!! It's beautiful here in the spring!! Here are a couple links:

Tyler Municipal Rose Garden Center

Tyler Azalea Trail
kerriejo1961
kerriejo1961

Back to top Go down

I feel like a troll Empty ...feel like a troll

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/10/2011, 11:39 pm

Kerriejo, thank you so much for the link....memories, you know. It was a good time in my life, living in Texas. So far I've not had much luck raising roses here in Oregon. Deer considered them hors d' oeuvres as they meandered on to the vegetable garden. Now with a deer fence around the garden, hmmmm, may have to have one or two roses inside the fence......just for me.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/11/2011, 1:40 am

Was sitting trying to figure out why Tyler sounded so familiar lol...My family is mostly around Dallas.
But my son lived in Joaquin for a year or so then move to Tyler for a short time. I feel like a troll 601593 thought I was losing it lol...
I left Texas in 1973 and have only been back for a brother's wedding in 1982 I feel like a troll 889526 He and one sister still live in the Dallas area. Nope I aint never going back lol....I grew up from El Paso to Galveston, and all around the darn state lol....

CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/11/2011, 10:05 am

Ah, yes, CindiLou, El Paso, that town sitting half way between Galveston and Los Angeles and still in the State of Texas!
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  kerriejo1961 4/12/2011, 2:00 am

You're welcome!! I hope you can get your roses to grow!!

LOL about never coming back to TX...
kerriejo1961
kerriejo1961

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down