Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Companion plantings Toplef10Companion plantings 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Companion plantings I22gcj10Companion plantings 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Companion plantings Toplef10Companion plantings 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Companion plantings I22gcj10Companion plantings 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Companion plantings

+7
camprn
dizzygardener
FarmerValerie
Barkie
shannon1
blue_elle
sistabelle
11 posters

Go down

Companion plantings Empty Companion plantings

Post  sistabelle 4/7/2011, 8:34 pm

This is my first year doing square foot gardening. I'm well on my way, have several boxes and have some plants in already. I have read and know that certain plants have benefits for another.
I just read in Mother Earth NEws that although this is a great way to garden, most charts come from a scientific experiment done in the 40's where they used the chemical makeup of plants instead of the plants themselves growing in a garden to do the research. It also states that some of the vegetables in most charts aren't actually good together.
THe person writing the article has experience and could give some ideas of plants that are actually good together to keep off bugs or attract them. whichever you want.
My question is.... does anyone have real experience in the companion plantings that actually work well?
sistabelle
sistabelle

Back to top Go down

Companion plantings Empty Re: Companion plantings

Post  blue_elle 4/7/2011, 11:32 pm

It's been my experience that basil planted next to tomato really thrives, though I don't know that it made the tomatoes taste better like the nursary said it would (to be fair though we'd never tried that variety of tomatoes, so we have no basis for comparison).
blue_elle

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 4/8/2011, 3:18 am

I stick a few onion sets around my pepper and tomato plants they don't take much space at all and seem to do a great job of confusing pests like aphids ect. I am trying it with my eggplants too this year.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 4/8/2011, 5:28 am

I saw an article recently saying that a guy trialled it in his garden and at Ryton in 1998 on 2 4x4 beds and found that

"
this is not a big problem. However, Dwarf French beans planted next to a square
of onions did not do well, while another square of beans 2ft from the onions
thrived.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicgardening/gh_sqft.php

Personally I trust Geoff Hamilton who recommended mixed planting to confuse pests that find their target by sight or smell. My experience with Nasturtium was a plague of blackfly which attracted ladybirds. Personally I'd rather have ladybirds first then aphids but it doesn't work that way round.

Thanks for starting the topic, I'll keep an eye on this thread cyclops
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/8/2011, 9:04 am

I'm not trying to be ugly here, and not attacking anyones opinion or views, just voicing my 2 cents.

The studies may have been done in the 40's but there are those who have been doing it for centuries like the 3 sisters method.

Man has to have an explination for everything, why do bean and corn play nice in the garden. I'll admit, it's nice to know that beans and peas are nitrogen fixers, and root crops don't do well with too much nitrogen, but there comes a time in my mind when I really don't care about the whys and hows. Just knowing it works is fast becoming good enough for me. If I can save space by planting my climbing peas and beans next to the corn, great, works for me.

I'm currently reading a book on food, "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollen, they are now learning that while fruits contain antioxidents, when we remove the antioxidents from the food and use them as a suppliment they are not as effective, and in most cases don't work at all. I don't care what it is in the fruit that is good for me, I just know it's good for me to eat it. Same with the plants and companion planting, using parts of the plants instead of the actual plants, in my mind defeats the purpose and nulifies any results.

I personally take everything I see, hear, and read with a grain of salt, we have been sold so many bills of goods it's unreal. However, way to many who have been planting and growing successfully for generations have had good results with companion planting, so in my mind that's good enough for me.

However, let me add, last year the squash bugs took over my garden, they even infested my marigolds. Yet I am planting marigolds again as I have heard what discourages them is actually in the roots, and it takes a season or two to establish that deterrent in the soil, where the squash bugs overwinter.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/8/2011, 9:24 am

Valerie makes a good point.

I'm trying out companion planting for the first time this year. The way I look at it is that humans had to develop ways to cope with what nature threw at them before we had the benefit of scientific studies, disease resistant hybrids, chemical fertilizers, and pesticides. Since we know they were able to farm effectively some of what they did had to have worked out for them. A lot of those techniques have been passed down through the generations. Further, a lot of it was also trial and error.

I try to do things as organically as I possibly can, so really I rely on things like companion planting and farmscaping to make my job as gardener a lot more manageable. I'm willing to give things a try. What works I will continue to do, What doesn't I won't.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  sistabelle 4/8/2011, 11:18 am

I agree with the comments and appreciate the tips on what has worked for you. It just makes sense to intermingle plantings! And it would seem onions and chives next to sweeter veggies would repel those insects.

I have put in lettuce and spinach and put onions and chives on lines in between the squares. I'll find out how that works this year!
Thanks to all comments!!
sistabelle
sistabelle

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/8/2011, 3:12 pm

I had way to many onions this year, I stuck 2 in each cabbage square, just to see what happened. The onions are not getting much sun (good thing down here most of the time) and so far no cabbage problems. I figured the onions would come up before or right at same time as cabbage so no big deal. I also (experimenting again) stuck 3 onions in 4 squares that tomatoes will go in. Onions are at the opposite edge of square and will come up way before tomato gets big. They look far away enough that when it is time to pull them, they will not distrub tomato roots. I'll try to remember to share results.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/30/2011, 8:01 pm

An interesting write up about companion planting, history and science and charts.
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/complant.html
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 5/30/2011, 9:11 pm

Camp, you are always at the ready with a great reference!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/30/2011, 9:22 pm

Great link Camprn, it has a simple chart for common companion planting and a brief description of some of the reasons for the specific companions, like trap crop, deterrent, etc.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/31/2011, 10:40 am

Great reference to pin to my favorites bar. A big thanks to Camprn. Companion plantings 109486
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cynergist 5/31/2011, 2:09 pm

sistabelle wrote:
My question is.... does anyone have real experience in the companion plantings that actually work well?

I don't have any actual experience, but here's a thought: Is it possible that what we would eat together would grow well together? Like tomato / basil or onion / garlic? etc.
The Cynergist
The Cynergist

Female Posts : 141

http://adf.ly/115253/gardenblog

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/31/2011, 3:19 pm

Well, the Native Americans have been companion planting corn, squash and beans together, The Three Sisters. Apparently it worked very well for them for over 2,000 years. I've only done it once, and got a good harvest of all but the beans, but that was mostly the result of not doing a good job of harvesting from the bean plants climbing up the corn stalks. Laziness: it was an easier harvest in the beans-only bed.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down