Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 Toplef10April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 I22gcj10April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 Toplef10April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 I22gcj10April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

April in the Middle South garden...

+8
Goosegirl
mcddeb
Weatherkid
Furbalsmom
FarmerValerie
staf74
BackyardBirdGardner
dizzygardener
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 Empty Re: April in the Middle South garden...

Post  mcduff 4/11/2011, 4:20 pm

I've harvested my mesclun and Romaine several times for salads. My head lettuces are coming right along and my broccoli is finally forming its head (or whatever it is called) My kale doesn't look very good but I'll keep trying. Beans are all up and looking good. None of my asparagus were thick enough to harvest but they look healthy and it's only year 1 & 2 so I'll wait. Tomatillos are already blooming and my tomatoes look healthy. My cucumbers are all started. And best of all we ate our first strawberry yesterday! Very yummy.
mcduff

Back to top Go down

April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 Empty Re: April in the Middle South garden...

Post  staf74 4/11/2011, 4:28 pm

I have to echo Furbalsmom post. Those pages mentioned really nail down those dates for you and are all you need to know. I do the hoop house thing and so can cheat a little and get my crops in a few weeks earlier. Broccoli transplants at the end of Feb / First week of March. Lettuce and Spinach in then also.

You got all your summer stuff planted in good time it sounds.

Remember you don't have to wait next year!!! Plant Broccoli, Peas, Lettuce, Spinach etc (all the other cool season crops) again in the fall. You'll get a great crop as most of the bugs are out of season by then and they grow in the warm late summer sun and mature in the cooler temps of fall.

Just how they like it !!!!
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/12/2011, 12:24 am

Mimi,

I based my planting schedule in part on charts in the All New SFG book, in part on local custom, and in part based on my impatience and desire to plant SOMETHING even if it was a bit too soon!

So far everything is coming up gangbusters except the Collards which are WAY too early, but I wanted to experiment.

Next on my planting schedule is to plant Nantes carrots in April 15 for carrot week! In a couple weeks I'll put my celery seedlings out. After that, it's on to planting my warm season crops and perhaps another round of radishes.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  sheslostit 4/23/2011, 9:59 pm

greetings for the ATL. Figured i'd give an update..hopefully pics to follow this week. I have to admit, due to a ton of things going on in my life, i did not grow seeds this year for transplants. Most of my plants are transplants from the garden shop. I did uses seed for some of the cool weather things.

Right now my strawberries are looking great..however while i was away for a week discovered that the birds absolutely love them. Had to get bird netting this week. I've had only 4 strawberries so far but they are sweet and tasty.
English peas are doing well. I have two squares with them. Growing tall but still no flowers yet. I hope they do something before the weather decides to get up into the 90's soon.

I planted a brussel spout to later find out its probably better to start the seeds in the ground in july. Oh well hopefully the sprouts aren't too bitter
i've already harvested one round of muscelin lettuce. And i have several squares of butterleaf and salad bowl lettuce growing strong.

My asparagus i planted last year are doing well but still need some maturing, some are growing like you would expect some are growing more like the first year ferns....so since its the only second year, i've really only harvested a handful. But i guess if i'm patient, next year i'll have an abundance of asparagus and can harvest until my heart is content.

yesterday i planted all my transplants. picked up four types of peppers, red, green, banana, and jalapenos. 4 types of tomatoes, better boy, super100, cherokee purple, and a grape tomato (forgot exact name). I also planted two okra (may be a little early for them but i'm trying) and one water melon.

In several squares, i have typical herb seeds which are slowly sprouting including basil, oregano, sage, and chives.

I also have swiss chard seeds growing pretty well.

Also, not SFG, but i planted two blueberry bushes and another blackberry bush. Hopefully my garden run over this summer barring any major disasters.

I'll try to post pics soon!

sheslostit

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/24/2011, 12:07 pm

It sounds like you are having a pretty good season shelostit.

Life happens and not everyone has the set ups to sucessfully grow seedlings indoors. Don't worry about it. Some purchased transplants and some seeds is still a great way to grow.

Speaking of your strwberries, I think we all would love to have access to SFG babysitters when we have to go away.
Perhaps there is a market for someone who would cover the strawberries, water the SFG beds, keep an eye out for pests, just general short term care. Very Happy

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  sheslostit 4/24/2011, 9:17 pm

April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 Img_4412

one of my gardens this am.

April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 Img_4413
the other garden on the other side of my house. The large fern looking this is my aspargus

April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 Img_4415
My true 4x4 sfg.

April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 Img_4416
one of my blackberry bushes (no SGF just due to location etc)
April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 Img_4417
my lettuce starting to do pretty well
April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 Img_4418
my english peas doing well right next to my sprouts. not really the right time for them...but i messed up. oh well hopefully they won't be too bitter.
April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 Img_4419
I cheated on this one. Just bought this mater plant from the garden shop this week...it was already large but figured i'd get a jump on it. My hubby really loves his tomatoes
April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 Img_4420
My dog not guarding the garden but enjoying the sun and trying to figure out my obsession with this gardening crap
April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 Img_4421
My strawberries finally protected from those pesky birds. You would think if i gave them a bunch of food (i have multiple bird feederers ) they'd leave my berries alone...but no...they love the yummy morsel and i don't blame them. They are sweet and yummy!!!!

sheslostit

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/25/2011, 8:39 am

Great pictures! Thanks so much for the update! Your gardens are looking great.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/25/2011, 10:58 am

Wonderful

Glad you got protection for those strawberries.

That 'mater looks so good. April in the Middle South garden... - Page 2 88662 (green with envy) We can't even plant tomatoes on the Oregon Coast until mid May at the earliest. While our average last frost date is mid March, the soil takes forever to warm up and we don't really have much heat all summer long Sad
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  sheslostit 4/25/2011, 6:38 pm

thanks guys...this is the first year doing SFG and i feel like its such a better and easier concept already! Very Happy
sheslostit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2