Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
April in the Middle South Toplef10April in the Middle South 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

April in the Middle South I22gcj10April in the Middle South 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
April in the Middle South Toplef10April in the Middle South 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

April in the Middle South I22gcj10April in the Middle South 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

April in the Middle South

4 posters

Go down

April in the Middle South Empty April in the Middle South

Post  MidTNJasonF 4/1/2010, 9:04 pm

April is here and much of the Middle South is experiencing some fantastic weather for a change. With the Good Friday and Easter Holiday upon us I know many are out in their yards and gardens. Many of us are just weeks away from our last frost dates, some in the lower section of the region have already passed their last frost date. So what are you up to in your Square Foot Garden?

Personally I have a couple days off from work. We are currently slow but expecting a huge boom in April and June so this was a chance to give the crew a long weekend before the 60 hour weeks start. I spent nearly the entire day in the yard and garden after a quick trip to Home Depot this morning.

I mixed up a wheel barrow full of Mel's Mix for some container planting and filled some hanging baskets with new Coco fiber mat and the mix. I planted a few marigolds and spread some creeping thyme in the baskets. I also managed to clean out a few flower beds of old growth and dead leaves. All that clean up of the flower beds gave me a nice new pile of material for the compost pile so I added it and turned that over a bit.

I have actually been very behind in my garden work in this spring. I just got some seeds started indoors a week or so ago. I had nothing started in the garden so I broke down and bought some butter crunch lettuce to transplant in the garden today. I also planted some marigold transplants in a couple squares and trimmed some dead twigs out of my rosemary plant. I should have more time in the garden on Friday and hope to plant a few new things as well.

My trip to Home Depot was interesting. I found they had a number of items perfect for us Square Foot folks. They had three different 4'x4' raised bed kits at reasonable prices. They had one in pine (pressure treated), one in cedar, and one in vinyl. They also had two nice rain barrel kits complete with down spout diverter hardware. They even had some composting items including a very economical recycled plastic bin for composting. I will detail these finds a little better in a separate post in the general forum.

Please share a little report of your own April projects and experiences in the garden. A few pictures would be great. I will share a few myself as soon as I can get them re-sized and uploaded.
MidTNJasonF
MidTNJasonF

Male Posts : 99

Back to top Go down

April in the Middle South Empty Re: April in the Middle South

Post  Cathyegar 4/4/2010, 8:52 pm

I am in NE Alabama. I built my boxes yesterday and was hoping I was not jumping the gun by planting my tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, etc too early. I also have okra, rattlesnake gr beans, and squash seeds. This is my first sfg so not sure when to plant.
I am going to get my soil mixed tomorrow and hopefully plant tues or wed. Hope it goes well.
Cathy in AL
Cathyegar

Female Posts : 31

Back to top Go down

Post  MidTNJasonF 4/4/2010, 9:07 pm

You may be a touch early but probably not. We do get some late frosts here some years though. I lost a few plants and a tree to a late April frost two years ago.

If you do not have anything planted yet you can certainly keep them inside for a couple weeks to be safe or if you have the ability to protect them from frost you can get them in the boxes sooner. A bit of clear plastic over the plants may be enough for a light frost. If you fear a harder frost you could try other common methods like buckets set over the seedlings or tent type A frames that can be used in a mini green house fashion.

I have a number of things already in my beds and will have more over the next week. I will just keep an eye out for cold forecasts and be ready to protect everything.
MidTNJasonF
MidTNJasonF

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbies 4/6/2010, 10:29 pm

Who can figure 7B weather? Last avg. Frost date here in upper SC is 4/1, and on 4/5 we hit 87! So much for spring, summer is full on. I've got lettuces, carrots, radishes & sweet peas from seed that have sprouted. Cabbage, broccoli, & brussels sprouts transplants went in on 3/23 and I'm praying they won't bolt by May Day.
Waiting til the waxing moon to put in tomatoes, cukes & melons, pole beans, okra & corn. They should love the heat!
Don't feel like doing much outdoors anyway... stand still for 5 minutes and you're yellow with pollen. (If there was a sneeze smiley...)
kimbies
kimbies

Female Posts : 27

Back to top Go down

April in the Middle South Empty FROST DATE?

Post  MEGAN1 4/7/2010, 1:03 pm

I live in Woodbury, TN...close to the McMinnville side....and the last frost date is considered for me April 19th? I just realized I was wanting to try radishes and possibly onions which are to be planted about now...is that right? This is my second year, but first year really doing it right...with the book and all. So my head is spinning!
MEGAN1

Back to top Go down

Post  MidTNJasonF 4/7/2010, 8:39 pm

Yes Radish and onions can and probably should be in the ground now in your area. I have onions, shallots, radish, and several lettuce varieties in the ground now in Smyrna. Also have Potatoes in the ground and bean seeds in the ground but not yet up. The potatoes are in movable containers so I can shelter them if we get a late frost. I will have to settle for covering anything else.

I heard rumor of lows back in the 30's at night in the next week so I might have to drag out a couple sheets to cover a couple beds.

Welcome by the way Megan. I have a few co-workers that live in Woodbury and commute into Murfreesboro to the shop. I often ride out in that area as well. There is a some really pretty land out that way.
MidTNJasonF
MidTNJasonF

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down