Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My first beds. Not sure where to place them Toplef10My first beds. Not sure where to place them 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My first beds. Not sure where to place them I22gcj10My first beds. Not sure where to place them 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My first beds. Not sure where to place them Toplef10My first beds. Not sure where to place them 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My first beds. Not sure where to place them I22gcj10My first beds. Not sure where to place them 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

My first beds. Not sure where to place them

5 posters

Go down

My first beds. Not sure where to place them Empty My first beds. Not sure where to place them

Post  retired member 2 3/26/2011, 11:22 pm

i am making my first 3 SFG beds and am not sure where I should put them. Near the house I have vrey little topsoil. We live on a hill and there is about 1/2 inch soil then it is slate. There is no shade at all. I have another choice but it is quite a distance from the house. It is flat, and near a stream. In the years I had a regular garden, I never had to water even in a drought. Had a lot of trouble though, with coons that near a creek. Tore the garden up. Which would be better? I think that if I put it near the house where there is no shade I could probably employ some shade of some sort. The temps get in the high 90's and can be pretty dry in the height of the summer season. If I put it on the hill near the house there is no way I am getting rebar in the ground for the trellis. I will have to clamp the conduit to the outside of the frame with clamps. You would need a jack hammer to get through the slate. Same with any supports for shadecloth. This hill has always been such a challenge for growing stuff on. I have a few tradtional raised beds but keeping them moist and everything from wilting has always been a huge problem.
retired member 2

Female Posts : 100

Back to top Go down

My first beds. Not sure where to place them Empty Re: My first beds. Not sure where to place them

Post  milaneyjane 3/26/2011, 11:37 pm

That is a tough one. But I think once you battle the building issues (I am sure there are some on this forum that could offer suggestions) you would be happier having it closer to the house. Racoons are the last garden pest I would want to battle----they are way too smart and you would be forever waging war with them. If you built near the house you would just have to worry about watering.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

My first beds. Not sure where to place them Empty Re: My first beds. Not sure where to place them

Post  Megan 3/26/2011, 11:45 pm

I vote for near the house. With raised beds filled with Mel's Mix, you do not need to be concerned with the thickness of your topsoil. You might be able to stretch some shadecloth if sunshine is a problem? For supports, maybe you could use a covered wagon approach where the shadecloth is laid onto 1/2" pvc that is held into shape by your boxes. Maybe a few simple conduit clamps to keep it still. Just an idea... hopefully we will have more comments here soon. And welcome! glad you\'re here
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 3/27/2011, 5:12 am

I agree with Megan. I am a near the house voter. If only for convenience and the thrill of stepping out the back door and grabbing the veggies for dinner.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/27/2011, 2:54 pm

clb58,

I also agree with Megan. Near the house, you will be more likely to visit every day and maybe several times a day. Even though there is not a lot of maintanence required once the beds are built and filled with Mel's Mix, it is important to check on your plants and make sure there are no pests trying to have their way with your crops. You will also need to help your vining crops attach and grow up your trellis.

Covered wagon or dome supports can be used for shade cloth or deer netting to help keep varmints out of your box. They can also be used to extend your season a bit if you cover them with plastic to create a hoop house or unheated green house.

Trellises are another matter, you can use the conduit clamps, but understand, they are not as strong and secure as using rebard to support the trellis. You may need to add guy wires from the trellis to the opposite side or the box or something similar as additional support. Check your book ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING, chapter 8, for additional clarification on trellises.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/27/2011, 4:28 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:Trellises are another matter, you can use the conduit clamps, but understand, they are not as strong and secure as using rebard to support the trellis. You may need to add guy wires from the trellis to the opposite side or the box or something similar as additional support. Check your book ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING, chapter 8, for additional clarification on trellises.

I really should proofread befroe before I hit send. My first beds. Not sure where to place them 46987

I meant to say, conduit clamps are not as strong and secure as using REBAR to support the threllis.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/27/2011, 4:34 pm

Good point, FB. I still think the added trouble of stringing guy wires is far preferable to a long hike and close proximity to coons, though!
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down