Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Conduit elbow question Toplef10Conduit elbow question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Conduit elbow question I22gcj10Conduit elbow question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Conduit elbow question Toplef10Conduit elbow question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Conduit elbow question I22gcj10Conduit elbow question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Conduit elbow question

+8
Megan
cautery
FarmerValerie
boffer
camprn
BackyardBirdGardner
jerzyjen
davep763
12 posters

Go down

Conduit elbow question Empty Conduit elbow question

Post  davep763 2/6/2011, 10:46 am

Hi!

I couldn't find (and neither could the employee) the 1/2" conduit elbow to build the frame for the netting. The 90 degree elbow in the book looks like it just uses screws to tighten it? So what I ended up with was 3 different pieces (per side) to rig together so I could fit my frame together....which seems like too much trouble. This was at Home Depot.

I'm wondering where I could purchase an elbow like the one in the book to save some hassle?

Thanks!
Dave

davep763

Back to top Go down

Conduit elbow question Empty Re: Conduit elbow question

Post  jerzyjen 2/6/2011, 10:51 am

I can't answer your question, but I can say that my two conduit trellis' I made was the 3 straight pipes with the 90 degree elbows and they were very easy to put together and held up for 2 years with no problems. They are just set screws to hold it tight, it doesn't go through the pipe. It took me all of 5 minutes to put them together.
jerzyjen
jerzyjen

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/6/2011, 11:08 am

I found the elbows at my local HD. But, Lowe's also should carry them...if not an ACE Hardware will carry, or special order, them for you without a problem. Usually, where there's a HD, a Lowe's isn't far away.

If not, I wondered myself about the PVC elbows. They are a good deal cheaper, and I wonder how much weaker they would be holding the metal conduit? Might not be a bad $1.50 experiment.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/6/2011, 11:32 am

I got mine at HD too. Maybe someone else at HD can find or order them for you.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/6/2011, 11:38 am

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202241091/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

THis is what you want.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/6/2011, 11:45 am

I think it also depends on the employee, unfortunately when you have a big company, product knowledge is not always great due to employee turnover. My husband is in construction, and he has had to give lessons to the employees, and helped customers that the employees could not. Lowe's definitely should and does have these, as does home depot. You can look online for what you want, get the part # and go in with your list. Hubby and I also find all our pieces and assemble right there in the store to assure a fit for things we need. If you are fortunate enough to have an Ace hardware, although you probably will pay more, you will have a better chance of getting a more knowledgeable person to help you, as most are locally owned.

I hope to get some of these set up one day, but we are currently using what we have on hand, shelving brought home from a job, t-posts and zip cords. If you want a look here are some pictures. Conduit elbow question Img_1010Conduit elbow question Img_1011
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cautery 2/6/2011, 11:51 am

Yes ma'am, you are right there... I spend MOST of the time I am in HD and Lowes teaching the staff and helping customers (and teaching the staff ABOUT helping the customers)... Used to tick me off that customer service had declined so much in retail, but I've finally accepted it as reality, and now I try to help as much as I can... It works... they all know me, and I am never without assistance now. I'm sometimes ashamed that it took me so many years to change my outlook on how to handle poor customer service. Wink

Sorry for the thread drift...

FarmerValerie wrote:I think it also depends on the employee, unfortunately when you have a big company, product knowledge is not always great due to employee turnover. My husband is in construction, and he has had to give lessons to the employees, and helped customers that the employees could not. ...
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/6/2011, 12:32 pm

It does help to realize that in stores like this, not everyone is there so they can one day open their own store, most of them are only there until they find a regular job or career. Looking online before you go, or just spending an hour or two scoping out the store helps. I spend a lot of time in Lowe's just looking while waiting on hubby to get parts for a job.

Also, don't be afraid to ask, I asked about dead plants one day, and their containers, they have to account for every plant, so Lowe's does not give the containers away, however they do give away the trays they come in, I've pulled them out of the trash before. They also sell half dead plants for half price or lower, and you can sometimes make a deal with them on price, also Lowe's, HD, and Wal Mart, all have a guarantee on plants, so save your receipts and take back the ones that die.

Sorry I rambled, but I just wanted to pass along some tips.

On a funny note, my dad is so well known at his Lowe's, they run and hide when he comes in and they refer to him as Yes Sir Mr. Louis, and they give him a contractor's discount, 10% off most of his purchases just to get him out of the store.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/6/2011, 12:33 pm

Clay,

Last spring I spent a few weeks pricing various conduit options. I didn't want to buy a conduit bender (nor could find one to borrow) and have no welding skills. The following is what I determined to be the least costly solution in my neck of the woods. I don't remember the proper name for it, but you should hopefully be able to identify it by sight.

Conduit elbow question Photo-782549

I DID finally find an electrician who knew what they were doing in the electrical department of the big box store I was at. He gave me a few pointers which ended in me arriving at this decision.

The most important point I found was flat to threaded transitions. Some people have used the (flat) conduit with (threaded) corner pieces with no problems. In that sort of set up, you are depending on gravity and the pressure of the set screw to hold it in place. I was anticipating a very heavy load on my trellis (how heavy, I had no idea!!! LOL) so I was determined to do it the "right" way, with a flat-to-threaded transition piece before the bend. This cost a little extra, but the trellises will last me for a lifetime, and I know after last year that they will hold up. (They are only as strong as the rebar, though.)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  davep763 2/6/2011, 12:48 pm

Thanks for all your help! I thought there was an easier way, but the 2 employees at HD didn't help out that much unfortunately. I should've gone to my favorite local hardware store but it was less convenient at the time.

Regardless, thanks for your help!

Dave

P.S. By the way I'm new here....I've had gardens for about the past 15 years but this is the first year I'm trying SFG, I'm excited to give it a shot!
davep763

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/6/2011, 12:51 pm

Welcome Dave! glad you\'re here Your gardening experience will be very much appreciated here, and we will do our best to help you out with SFG!
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/6/2011, 1:32 pm

Absolutely welcome aboard, Dave.

I will tell you that getting an SFG set up IS an up front investment. And, it isn't all that cheap when compared to just tilling up some rows and sticking seeds in the ground. However, as you are finding out I'm sure, soil amenities are a constant cost the old way, and once the initial investment is out of the way, SFG is incredibly practical.

My tip would be to spend the extra money and do things right. Short cuts just cost more down the road. The one "short cut" I am taking this year, as I am building new boxes for a new house, is using white pine instead of landscape timbers or vinyl or concrete blocks. The difference in expense is enormous! So, I opted cheaply....for now. I only need something to hold the dirt for a couple years.

Once established, I will start replacing my wood with landscape blocks. Those blocks will never go away....and they look pretty. I am not moving again, so I don't care about an ongoing cost......where there really is no more when it comes to SFG.

Sorry that got long-winded. To summarize.....do it right the first time....and enjoy it for a lifetime.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  sully 2/6/2011, 3:39 pm

Dave, thhanks for the question. Like you I am new to SFG. Have been gardening fo quit some time the other way. I find this to be alot more practical. And my grand kids are having a good time helping me set up.
Welcome aboard. So far I have gained a wealth of information.
sully

Male Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/6/2011, 4:15 pm

Hey there Sully, welcome! Wow, there are so many newcomers it is getting hard to keep track of our welcomes. Very Happy

I grew up on a small far, but was new to SFG last year. My big dollar items were: Vermiculite, trellis frame parts, irrigation system, and seeds. (I spent more than I needed to on seeds.... Baker Creek is a VERY addictive place! Shocked ) I also spent some on "friendly" pesticides (Neem oil, diatomaceous earth) and soil amendments.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/6/2011, 10:10 pm

We found DE for $1 a pound at our local feed store.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 2/6/2011, 11:05 pm

Speaking of DE.....

I saved a few containers to "shake" it on. I had a large cinnamon container from Costco, and we put the DE in there and opened the shaker side of the lid, worked like a charm.

I also kept a couple of the Kraft Parmesan shaker containers and did the same thing.....worked great. Very Happy
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/6/2011, 11:17 pm

Neat idea, thanks!!!

Last year my husband got out his Hopper, it's what you use to blow acoustic on the ceiling, loaded it with DE and sprayed the entire garden in under 30 seconds. For you guys this may be fun.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 2/7/2011, 7:18 am

Generally I have better luck doing the following;

Know what I need, or have a printout of SKU's = HD or Lowe's

Need some "design options" or not sure what I need = ACE or other local hardware store.

The ACE by me is locally owned & there are a bunch of retired contractor types that work there part time. These guys just rock.

Can't say enough about the customer service & they spend whatever time it takes to get me what I need (even when I don't know what that is).
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Conduit elbow question Empty elbows

Post  ander217 2/7/2011, 8:06 am

Welcome to the forum, Dave.

We had a long thread last summer about different options for the conduit corners. My husband made ours from outlet boxes. They were much cheaper than the curved elbows.

Conduit elbow question Sfg_bo10
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  cautery 2/7/2011, 8:17 am

Maybe it's just early, but what is DE?

FarmerValerie wrote:We found DE for $1 a pound at our local feed store.
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/7/2011, 9:47 am

cautery wrote:Maybe it's just early, but what is DE?

FarmerValerie wrote:We found DE for $1 a pound at our local feed store.

Diatomaceous Earth, it works great for most garden pests, but be careful in you have bees, it may harm them too. We hope to have honey bees soon, so the only place we will be using DE is in the dog area.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down