Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Flower bulbs that should have been planted in the fall Toplef10Flower bulbs that should have been planted in the fall 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Flower bulbs that should have been planted in the fall I22gcj10Flower bulbs that should have been planted in the fall 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Flower bulbs that should have been planted in the fall Toplef10Flower bulbs that should have been planted in the fall 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Flower bulbs that should have been planted in the fall I22gcj10Flower bulbs that should have been planted in the fall 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Flower bulbs that should have been planted in the fall

+6
Selandra
miinva
Old Hippie
camprn
sully
middlemamma
10 posters

Go down

Flower bulbs that should have been planted in the fall Empty Flower bulbs that should have been planted in the fall

Post  middlemamma 1/30/2011, 2:58 am

Hey everyone!

I was at Wal-mart the other night and they had bulbs for all kinds of flowers that should have been planted this PAST fall to come up this spring. All the $5.00 packages are 1/2 off at 2.50 each...

Would these SAVE until Fall of 2011? Or could they be planted this year?

Love,
TVI
(The Village Idiot)
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Flower bulbs that should have been planted in the fall Empty Re: Flower bulbs that should have been planted in the fall

Post  sully 1/30/2011, 6:46 am

Last year I planted tulips the first week of Feb.. They all bloomed Spring.
sully

Male Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Flower bulbs that should have been planted in the fall Empty Re: Flower bulbs that should have been planted in the fall

Post  camprn 1/30/2011, 8:59 am

Hey Middlemamma! I have a bunch of bulbs that didn't get put into the ground in the fall too. They are sitting on the cold porch waiting for me to pot them up.
If the ones you bought are things like daffodils, tulips, hyacinths, etc. you can either put them in the fridge for a about a month and then put them in pots or you can pot them up and put them in a place like your garage. They need a period of cold and rest. Well they have been resting in the store for ages, so, put the chill on 'em, plant them in pots and hopefully they will bloom for you in the spring time. In the summer after the flowers and foliage have gone by, you can plant the bulbs in the ground.
HERE is a thread that has some links about spring flowering bulbs. flower
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 1/30/2011, 3:05 pm

THANK YOU!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 1/30/2011, 4:25 pm

I quite often buy stuff like that. You may find that some of the bulbs have dried out and won't grow but you will probably have some that will. I plant them in pots and then put them in the fridge for a couple of weeks. Then brought them out and started watering them. It worked fine. They bloomed at a different time than the ones in the flower bed but that was fine with me.

I love getting those bargains. It is fun to see what happens.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 1/30/2011, 4:31 pm

I actually didn't buy them because I wasn't sure what would happen....but I will go back and pick some up. They had tons of them.

Thank you everyone for your help on this.

Jen
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 1/30/2011, 5:07 pm

I'd love to hear what kind of results you get. I bought two boxes of crocus bulbs Thursday because they were only $1 Smile I've planted irises and daffodils, but this is my first time with crocus. My plan is to put them in pots and see what happens. I don't know why pots didn't occur to me... I had a bunch of bulbs last year that I could have done that with but I just didn't think of it, duh!

My son and I planted a bunch of bulbs this fall that will hopefully give us lovely flowers this year flower
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/30/2011, 8:50 pm

The other place I have gotten bulbs and plants is after flower shows. Very often the displays are broken down and many pots of plants and flowering bulbs are sent to the bin. Sadly our local flower show that ran for 25 years was discontinued 2 years ago, so I no longer lurk near the dumpsters of the arena. sobbing
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Selandra 1/30/2011, 10:45 pm

I did that last Spring, I had bought a bunch of discounted bulbs the fall before and then stuck them in the garage and promptly forgot about them. It was almost Spring by the time I saw them again so as soon as the ground thawed enough I threw them in. The crocus did great as did the daffodils and hyacinth but only one tulip showed. I'm already seeing shoots for this year so I'm very excited. I also know where some have naturalized in a corner of my property--- so this fall I'll be getting free bulbs!!
Selandra
Selandra

Female Posts : 123

http://www.asfggardenerstale.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/31/2011, 11:35 am

Or not plant. As I was walking the yard this morning, I spotted something in the grass. Looking closer I found 5 tiny jonquil bulbs laying on their sides half buried. And they had all sprouted. They must have fallen out of the basket when I dug a bed and replantedn early last fall. No telling how many time the lawn mower went over them. Because they all had roots and sprouts, I decided not to disturb them, but I did set a cinderblock over the area to protect them. And I'm going to put an inch of compost over them as well. After they die back, I can relocated them.

Amazing how plants will survive against all odds. But not so funny that all the one's I replanted have not come up. Hmmmm wonder if I got them too deep.

Kay
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 1/31/2011, 12:50 pm

I don't know about jonquils specifically, but I know that irises and daffodils like to be very shallow. You never know, your jonquils may not have broken ground yet, but they may be sprouting too and will make a late appearance Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 1/31/2011, 1:41 pm

I have found some of my small bulbs like grape hyacinth that don't get planted very deep "heave" out of the ground in spring when the ground thaws. Could that be what happened? Like yours, mine will sometimes be sprouting and have small roots, so I just push them back in and they seem to be fine.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 2/8/2011, 12:17 am

I never did go back and buy these for the 50% off price of $2.50.

I went tonight to go get some supplies I need for the Girl Scout Daisy meeting this Wed night and they were all clearanced to 2 CENTS!!!!

I bought 2 of every kind they had, I think I bought $0.36 worth.

Does anyone know if there is any way for me to save them until Fall 2011?
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2/8/2011, 2:07 am

My experience with bulbs is that they dry out or rot if you try to keep them that long. I would put them in peat moss in baggies in the frig for a few weeks, then take them out and plant them and see what happens. At 2 cents each you can't lose.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 2/8/2011, 2:20 am

and it feel SO good to take home some little orphan from the clearance shelf and have it thrive.

My best friend rescued a cherry tomato last year, and the horizontal surfaces in my house are filling up with my charity cases...all of which are doing well!
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Flower bulbs that should have been planted in the fall Empty BUMP! Plant those flower bulbs for Spring!

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/2/2022, 6:25 pm

Now is the time to plant tulips, daffodils, Narcissus, hyacinths, etc. for Fall blooms!  My squirrels think I put the tulips in for them, so they will go out by the pool.  Everything else is pretty good and can go anywhere!! 

Let’s take advantage of the last nice weather and get those bulbs in!  You will love it in the Spring!!!!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/2/2022, 7:54 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Now is the time to plant tulips, daffodils, Narcissus, hyacinths, etc. for Fall blooms! 

Let’s take advantage of the last nice weather and get those bulbs in!  You will love it in the Spring!!!!!

Assuming you mean "Spring blooms", instead of Fall.  Shocked 

Last weekend I planted a bag of 45 Allium bulbs that I picked up at Sam's Club.  Can't wait to see how they do next Spring!

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down