Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
rampicante - CONTEST:  Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash! - Page 2 Toplef10rampicante - CONTEST:  Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

rampicante - CONTEST:  Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash! - Page 2 I22gcj10rampicante - CONTEST:  Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
rampicante - CONTEST:  Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash! - Page 2 Toplef10rampicante - CONTEST:  Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

rampicante - CONTEST:  Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash! - Page 2 I22gcj10rampicante - CONTEST:  Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

CONTEST: Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash!

+16
trustinhart
Retired Member 1
Furbalsmom
WardinWake
Garden Angel
quiltbea
boffer
acara
pattipan
Blackrose
Patty from Yorktown
Wyldflower
CarolynPhillips
Chopper
camprn
Megan
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

rampicante - CONTEST:  Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash! - Page 2 Empty Update!

Post  Megan 10/1/2010, 7:59 pm

Okay, I have gone back through this thread and summarized guesses to date in this spreadsheet. Come on, folks, you have until Monday night! cheers

Guesses so far!

If I missed anyone, please let me know. Thanks all for making this so much fun. Very Happy

Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

rampicante - CONTEST:  Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash! - Page 2 Empty Re: CONTEST: Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash!

Post  Furbalsmom 10/1/2010, 8:25 pm

Megan, I think you should set up the Rampicante Ramp per Acara's idea, then aim at %$^&*(those who shall remain nameless)
My guess is 287 feet.

By the way, was their problem just the rampaging rampicante, or the whole idea of a vegetable garden in the front yard?
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

rampicante - CONTEST:  Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash! - Page 2 Empty Re: CONTEST: Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash!

Post  Megan 10/1/2010, 8:35 pm

I think it was the whole front yard thing. But knowing them... who knows. I have grown both tomatoes and squash in the front yard before with no censure. Granted the rampicante got much bigger than I ever dreamed it would, and in all fairness, it wouldn't do for everyone's yard to look like that. But they should have warned us first before sending a certified letter...
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 10/1/2010, 8:44 pm

Megan wrote:I think it was the whole front yard thing. But knowing them... who knows. I have grown both tomatoes and squash in the front yard before with no censure. Granted the rampicante got much bigger than I ever dreamed it would, and in all fairness, it wouldn't do for everyone's yard to look like that. But they should have warned us first before sending a certified letter...

I can't believe they would complain about such a lush looking plant! If it were here in Texas, you'd be the town star, with photos in the local newspaper. Was this just one plant?
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 10/1/2010, 8:48 pm

I'm going with 58 feet. I can't believe you had to pull it while it was still blooming!
Retired Member 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 10/1/2010, 8:54 pm

belfrybat wrote:
I can't believe they would complain about such a lush looking plant! If it were here in Texas, you'd be the town star, with photos in the local newspaper. Was this just one plant?

Yes ma'am. That was just one squash plant. (There is a pumpkin but the vine is less than 2 feet long.) I am sad, too. I pulled close to a couple dozen blossoms with a hope of eating them, but given the huge climate changes we've had in the last day or so, I don't think they will last. Lots of little (and BIG Shocked ) rampicante fruits, though.... and a whole bunch of lima beans as well.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

rampicante - CONTEST:  Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rampicant vines

Post  trustinhart 10/1/2010, 9:24 pm

What a fun idea Megan,! at least they waited until the fall before lowering the boom

92', 6"
trustinhart
trustinhart

Female Posts : 165

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/1/2010, 10:15 pm

It's killin' me! How long? H o w l o n g ? rampicante - CONTEST:  Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash! - Page 2 Smiley-vault-character-026
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 10/2/2010, 9:14 am

I'm changing my guess since I realised this includes all stems, not just the main one (yeah, I know -- read the fine print!). 123 feet.
Retired Member 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 10/3/2010, 8:05 pm

Monday's the last day for guesses, everyone! I'll post results Monday night. Good luck!
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

rampicante - CONTEST:  Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash! - Page 2 Empty My guess

Post  ander217 10/3/2010, 8:20 pm

I have no clue, but I'll go with 126'.

Did they tell you which regulation you were in violation of? No offense to your neighbors, but from what I could see of their yards in your photos, I'd take your bountiful, full-of-life yard any day over their sterile-looking plots.

You can't keep a SFG'er down. I predict your garden will be better than ever next year.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 10/3/2010, 8:56 pm

99' Very Happy
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 10/4/2010, 12:46 pm

97, such a waste. Stupid HOA
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

rampicante - CONTEST:  Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash! - Page 2 Empty Contest ends tonight!

Post  Megan 10/4/2010, 4:48 pm

Thanks folks! Any more takers? We've got about 3 hours left. flower
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 10/4/2010, 5:18 pm

If it isn't too late I will guess 222 feet.

What a shame you had to take it down. I can see if they said, don't do this next year but to have to take it out right away. By all means fire the "torpedoes" at their houses, heads, cars or whatever.

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 10/4/2010, 5:27 pm

Yes, it really does stink and what kills me the most is that it wasn't done yet. I've had some luck with forcing the peppers to mature, at least. But thank you! (And cut-off is at 8pm EST tonight.)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 10/4/2010, 7:43 pm

Isn't it close enough to the time to go ahead and announce the winner?! Wink
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 10/4/2010, 7:45 pm

I'm not making you stay up past your bedtime, am I? Smile
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

rampicante - CONTEST:  Guess total vine length of my rampicante squash! - Page 2 Empty And the winners ARE....

Post  Megan 10/4/2010, 8:19 pm

It took me quite a while to cut that monster plant up into measurable portions!

Total length: 272 feet, 2 inches (82.9 meters)
That includes the 15" that actually attacked the house and grew up between the framing and the siding! affraid There were actually 4 tiny light-starved fruit growing inside the siding... oh my gosh.

Winners! cheers

1st place: Furbalsmom @ 287'
2nd place: Blackrose @ 253'
3rd place: Wyldflower @ 317'

hb

Thank you very much, EVERYONE, for making this so much fun. Love ya for it! BIG hug
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden Angel 10/4/2010, 8:23 pm

Wow ! congrats to the winners ! this was fun ! and thanks Megan for doing all that work !

Last edited by Garden Angel on 10/4/2010, 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 10/4/2010, 8:24 pm

golly gee whiz golly gee whiz golly gee whiz

congrats winners!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 10/4/2010, 8:28 pm

If I were the HOA I'd be careful what I said around that killer squash...
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 10/4/2010, 8:34 pm

If anyone's curious, here's the breakdown.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvKybWIO3JQGdDExUzVPcm9mNnJhbkJpMENJRkRNdVE&authkey=CLmroJgK&hl=en#gid=0

The longest segment (242") is actually not the longest single vine... I had to cut it up further because it was becoming unmanageable to stretch out for measuring.

The main stem was pierced completely through, about 18" up from the ground. I looked but I didn't see any bugs inside. The interior of the stem looked like it sort of ballooned out into little white pillows inside the lesion, if that makes any sense.

I also noticed that the stems put out secondary roots in at least 4 places where they hit the ground. One of those places was inside my other SFG bed, and that one had significant root development. But what I found striking was that even the original sprouting place, the roots were much smaller than my pole beans or tomatoes.

P.S. I cooked up this contest on my own; it is not sponsored by the SFG foundation.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 10/4/2010, 8:57 pm

Wow! This was a great idea Megan and so much fun!

way to go thanks
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 10/5/2010, 1:22 am

What fun, Megan! I'm so glad you were able to take the lemons handed to you by the HOA and make lemonade!

I'm surprised that I was one of your winners... Of course, I'd love to have some of your Rampicante seed!!!! see PM for a longer message.

Thanks so much!
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next