Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - I really want strawberries... Toplef10strawberries - I really want strawberries... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - I really want strawberries... I22gcj10strawberries - I really want strawberries... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - I really want strawberries... Toplef10strawberries - I really want strawberries... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - I really want strawberries... I22gcj10strawberries - I really want strawberries... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:09 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:13 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» Cabbage worms
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:07 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:34 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 5/11/2024, 5:24 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I really want strawberries...

+4
boffer
Lavender Debs
timwardell
jjphoto
8 posters

Go down

strawberries - I really want strawberries... Empty I really want strawberries...

Post  jjphoto 3/16/2010, 6:48 pm

But I've received a lot of conflicting advice from people on how to do it (all local people). Some said plant them in the ground, some said a raised bed, some said in a strawberry pot. Now I have no clue what to do.

When I was little, my dad made a pyramid type raised bed and put it in the corner of the yard. Bottom layer was about 6 feet, middle layer 4, top layer 2 feet. I think he filled it with mostly sand if I remember correctly.

He put some strawberries in there and never did much with them (he's not a big gardener, flower, or plant person). They exploded into a giant mass of berries and we ate off of them for years until we moved.

Is that generally a good way to go about it or did my dad just have some dumb luck with that bunch?
jjphoto
jjphoto

Male Posts : 125

http://www.lifewithduchess.com

Back to top Go down

strawberries - I really want strawberries... Empty Re: I really want strawberries...

Post  timwardell 3/16/2010, 7:26 pm

In another thread, someone posted a pic of the type of "strawberry pyramid" you described. My (limited) experience is that strawberries are relatively trouble free and don't need a lot of attention. Mine take up 9 (3x3) squares in my SFG and do just fine so long as I keep them shielded from the birds.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

strawberries - I really want strawberries... Empty Re: I really want strawberries...

Post  Lavender Debs 3/16/2010, 8:04 pm

That may well have been dumb luck or there was work done on that garden when you were not about (if years means more than 3 years). My life is testimony that dumb-luck happens.

Strawberries really are not tough. Keeping them under control takes a weekend or two of work to make sure the sisters end up where you want them rather than where they want to spread.

All of the methods you mentioned work for strawberries.

Strawberry Pots are cute but the yield will be low and next year’s crop (which comes from the sisters) will be dicey. I like to save strawberry pots for herbs.

Most Strawberry gardens in the PNW are grown on lowland near flood zones. The raised garden is to keep the roots dry after heavy rain or floods. They can be grown on level ground if they are not subject to flood in the off season (one reason a pyramid garden is nice is dry roots.) For high yield berries lots of well composted manure gets worked into the bed before the original plants are put in. For many people this makes a raised bed. The reason many beds are only good for about three years is that the bed gets less fertile and the yield goes down. It is easier to move the bed to a more fertile place then to keep trying to coax fruit from the old bed.

My best guess for SFG would be to plant one plant per sq ft in a checkerboard pattern then train the sisters (the new starts) into the empty squares. The third year you may need to pull up the original

I'm old and these days I just keep strawberries in pots on the deck. Not much yield but a few red gems for my cereal bowl in spring. Better yet from a hanging basket with sphagnum moss that I can stick berry plants through the sides as well as the top and make a massive ball of berry foliage. (late for starting one this year.)

Does that make sense?
Deborah ....who likes to go to farmers markets for berries.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/16/2010, 8:25 pm

Here's Theresa's new planter, I believe she was talking in the neighborhood of 100+ plants

strawberries - I really want strawberries... Berry_10
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  jjphoto 3/16/2010, 8:51 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I may try to build something like a 3'X8' box with a 1'x4' box on top of it, load it with plants and see how it goes.
jjphoto
jjphoto

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 3/16/2010, 9:30 pm

did Theresa ever put up an order form for her strawberry pyramid? strawberries - I really want strawberries... Icon_biggrin
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/16/2010, 9:46 pm

Now that you mention it, since he is retired, and she thinks he has nothing to do....
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  choksaw 3/17/2010, 1:09 pm

I have a pdf file from the University of Florida which explains how to build and grow strawberries in a 55gal barrel but i cant figure out how to load up the pdf file i can always email it to you if your interested.
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 3/17/2010, 7:51 pm

I just purchased this http://gurneys.com/strawberry-bed-and-berries-bonanza/p/14075/
strawberries - I really want strawberries... Strawb11
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 3/17/2010, 7:52 pm

That bed also includes 50 plants. It was only $48, plus if you spend over $50, you get $20 off. I haven't received it yet, so I can't recommend it yet
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 3/17/2010, 8:42 pm

Howdy Gardeners:

In the "ALL NEW Square Foot Gardening" book Mel recommends 4 strawberry plants per SF. I ordered 4 types of ever-barring strawberries from Stark Bros and have planted the first 50 in a table top SFG following the 4 per SF recommendation. Last year I tried growing some in hanging 5 gallon buckets with little success. Those plants are still in the buckets and are looking better this year.

God Bless, Ward.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  choksaw 3/17/2010, 11:34 pm

Ok i found the website that i got the pdf file from for growing strawberries in a barrel
http://alachua.ifas.ufl.edu/lawn_and_garden/fact_sheets/strawberries_barrel.shtml

although the guide recomends and old wiskey barrel which would look awesome as anything when searching for the barrel i found out alot i didnt know about them

1. Wiskey barrels can only be used one time befor haveing to be destroyed or sold off for other purposes
2. Not all wiskey barrels are the same wood type
3. The cost of these things is insane

although an old wiskey barrel (jack daniels old #8)would look awesome in any gardeners back yard the plastic type might be more cost efficient you can usualy find them on craigs list in your local area if not try your local car wash all of thier soaps and cleaners come in these barrels and as long as you rinse them out thuroughly (god my spelling sucks lol) they should work just fine. Some resturaunts also get stuff in these barrels and they are food grade plastic as well so bonus there hehe.

Most of these places usualy throw them out or have to pay someone to come get them im sure if you ask nicely they will be glad to save themselves the money on the pick up and give them too you for free or at minimal cost.

I talked to a guy at the Florida starwberrie festival last year who informed me that the 3 barrels he had growing produced approx. 40 flats of strawberies (i say approximate because he his wife and kids were constantly eating them as they picked them)

If your crafty or inventive you can possably even paint the plastic to look like a real wooden barrel let your imagination free and be sure to post up pics if you do.

Last edited by choksaw on 3/17/2010, 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : emoticon keeps poping up instead of number 8)
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

Post  jjphoto 3/18/2010, 9:43 am

I think I'm going to try a 3'X4'X6" box with a 1'X2'X6" box stuck on top of it. Of course, that means driving AGAIN an hour to a store that has the lumber... so I may just get lazy and throw some in the existing SFG.
jjphoto
jjphoto

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down