Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - getting strawberries ready for winter Toplef10strawberries - getting strawberries ready for winter 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - getting strawberries ready for winter I22gcj10strawberries - getting strawberries ready for winter 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - getting strawberries ready for winter Toplef10strawberries - getting strawberries ready for winter 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - getting strawberries ready for winter I22gcj10strawberries - getting strawberries ready for winter 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Yesterday at 5:24 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

getting strawberries ready for winter

+4
Chopper
Aub
Old Hippie
laurainwinona
8 posters

Go down

strawberries - getting strawberries ready for winter Empty getting strawberries ready for winter

Post  laurainwinona 9/24/2010, 12:47 pm

Does anyone know what to with strawberries during the winter? Do they need mulch? What kind? I have several plants that a friend gave me which are in containers waiting to be transferred to a 4x4.
laurainwinona
laurainwinona

Female Posts : 86

Back to top Go down

strawberries - getting strawberries ready for winter Empty Re: getting strawberries ready for winter

Post  Old Hippie 9/25/2010, 1:04 am

I wouldn't mind knowing what others do either. I don't do much of anything with mine for the winter. But it spring I give them lots of compost. When I grew them years ago I would put aged manure on them and they always seemed to do really well.

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

strawberries - getting strawberries ready for winter Empty Re: getting strawberries ready for winter

Post  Aub 10/3/2010, 12:01 am

I'm bumping this up... And adding a question or two!

I have my strawberries in a regular raised bed (no MM, just our poor soil). They weren't too bad vegetation wise but I never got one berry off it. The chipmunks or rabbits got to them before I did.

If I want to redo that bed what do I need to do to the strawberries? And when should I do it?
Aub
Aub

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 10/3/2010, 12:21 am

Strawberries are the worst for being stolen by critters. The first thing I do is cover them with birn netting. It is that or grow strawberries for every living thing in the neighborhood but me.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dac_cincy 10/30/2010, 11:30 pm

I am actually in the upper south region, but I thought I would hop over and anaswer.

For me- I now have one 4x4 bed that is 80% filled with strawberries. For the winter, I cover them with straw each night it drops into the 30s. Once the nightly temps drop and stay there all the time (which looks to be this week for my area), I never uncover them during the day. I do not compost them until the spring as I have usually composted around them during the time after they stop producing. At this time of the year, as I am covering them, I also check to make sure there are no daughter plants that have escaped from the box. If there, I put them back in the box under the straw.

My dad usually has bags of leaves for me this time of year, I hold off 1 bag to mulch on top of the straw once the daily temps are down into the 40s all the time - which is usually mid December. This gives the plants an added layer of protection during the freeze thaw cycles that are the norm in my area.

it works for me and my plants, not sure if it correct. But I am looking forward to a good crop next year due to the amount of plants in the box this year.

dac_cincy

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 11/1/2010, 11:57 am

laurainwinona wrote:Does anyone know what to with strawberries during the winter? Do they need mulch? What kind? I have several plants that a friend gave me which are in containers waiting to be transferred to a 4x4.

Howdy: I found the following info on the web and will be looking for more. We planted 175 strawberry plants this spring and the runners produced over 600 daughter plants that we now have put into various sized pots so we need the winter info as this is our first year growing strawberries. God Bless, Ward and Mary.

Winter Protection
Strawberries need winter protection in the northeast in order to provide peak production. Straw is an excellent winter
cover because it doesn’t form a hard mat or throw around lots of weed seeds. Plus, you can pull it off the plants once spring
arrives and use it around the plants to retain soil moisture and protect ripening fruit.
Cover your strawberry plants with 5 - 6" of straw just when the ground begins to freeze and temperatures dip down into the
low 20’s to high teens. Be sure to leave the mulch on all winter and don’t be tempted to pull it off on the first warm day in
March or April. The tender flower buds are very susceptible to late spring frosts.
40 River Street, Troy, NY 12180
518.274.8685 CDCG@juno.com
www.cdcg.org
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 11/1/2010, 6:54 pm

Thanks Ward! My strawberry project is much smaller than yours -- 4 wild yellow strawberry plants grown from seed, plus a red strawberry plant that was given to us and at least one runner off it. I am thinking I'll need to transplant them all into my SFG for the winter. The biggest trouble I have had so far is that everything I have found that is called "straw" is nothing of the sort! It has a lot of seed in it and sprouts all over the place. While I don't mind the extra plant matter to enrich the soil, I would just as soon not have to cope with that if I could avoid it.

Also, I am still getting berries. Do the plants go dormant on their own in winter, or do they just keep on going until frost shuts them down? If they go dormant I'd rather wait for that to happen before transplanting, if that makes any sense. I feel foolish asking that, especially as we grew lots of strawberries when I was little, but I don't recall how it worked.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 11/2/2010, 5:18 pm

Megan:

This is a learning year for us and as usual I jumped in with both feet. I had also accidentally put in a double order for plants last spring. I have removed all of the plants from their original SFG and replanted most of the spring plants into new SFGs. The runners that had taken root we put into various size containers depending on root mass and the containers we had on hand or could dig out of the county recycling bin. All were put into new/renewed Mel's Mix. I will try to visit the local extension agent and seek his advice on how to over winter the plants in the pots and will post what info he gives me. Our ground does not freeze hard enough to heave but the pots might, so it may be that we will bring them into the house for the hardest winter days. Again we are learning this year and if anyone can help please do so.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.

Megan wrote:Thanks Ward! My strawberry project is much smaller than yours -- 4 wild yellow strawberry plants grown from seed, plus a red strawberry plant that was given to us and at least one runner off it. I am thinking I'll need to transplant them all into my SFG for the winter. The biggest trouble I have had so far is that everything I have found that is called "straw" is nothing of the sort! It has a lot of seed in it and sprouts all over the place. While I don't mind the extra plant matter to enrich the soil, I would just as soon not have to cope with that if I could avoid it.

Also, I am still getting berries. Do the plants go dormant on their own in winter, or do they just keep on going until frost shuts them down? If they go dormant I'd rather wait for that to happen before transplanting, if that makes any sense. I feel foolish asking that, especially as we grew lots of strawberries when I was little, but I don't recall how it worked.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 11/2/2010, 7:11 pm

Thanks Ward. I have a sneaking feeling we are going to have a very cold winter here, even if not a lot of snow.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

strawberries - getting strawberries ready for winter Empty thanks

Post  laurainwinona 11/7/2010, 4:56 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. My strawberries are now safe in a 4x4. I just need to find some straw!
laurainwinona
laurainwinona

Female Posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 12/3/2010, 5:39 pm

oh, wow! i'm glad i stumbled on this thread! hadn't even thought about babying the strawberry beds! i will look tomorrow for straw. i sure hope the freezing temps here haven't permanetnly affected my little babies.

thanks wade et al for the insights!

i am definitely going to put a note in my november garden 'to do' list to protect strawberries next year! Smile
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down