Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Updates from the battlefield Toplef10Updates from the battlefield 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Updates from the battlefield I22gcj10Updates from the battlefield 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Updates from the battlefield Toplef10Updates from the battlefield 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Updates from the battlefield I22gcj10Updates from the battlefield 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Updates from the battlefield

2 posters

Go down

Updates from the battlefield Empty Updates from the battlefield

Post  Weedless_ 8/25/2010, 8:46 am

Well, folks, looks like the vine borer and pickle worm invasions are over with.
We were able to recover cucumbers happily, squashes marginally, and pumpkin died. Melons are doing great, you'd never be able to tell they were attacked. I snipped all the damaged vines, and that did more good - now the side shoots are growing so fast it's almost scary.
Tigger melon is growing a little fruit at almost every leaf junction. Those are pretty little fruits, and they don't grow large, so I am still hoping for some sweet dessert.

We have harvested our first cantaloupe, it was delicious! It was mature enough to withstand pickleworm attack, they couldn't get inside, so we happily devoured it ourselves. Two other cantaloupes perished in the invasion.
Watermelons are going crazy and growing in all directions, threatening to take over the yard and neighbor's yard. I had to snip some of the vines, and all of the suckers. We had lots of rain lately, so watermelon is in hog heaven.

Squashes were badly damaged by SVB, and after several BT and pesticide applications I was ready to check them off as dead, but they started setting new roots on the side vines, and now we are seeing some vigorous new growth. I tied them up on taller poles, and Odessa squash is doing especially great - I see lots of fruit coming out - almost all flowers are females, and bees just can't get enough of them. Amazing, amazing, that's all I can say. I was majorly depressed over the loss (or potential loss) of all my cucurbits, because they are all great performers and we've harvested tons of stuff off them.

I finally pulled my bush beans. Pole beans aren't doing that great - I see lots of beans, but they are all tiny and curled up - heat doesn't do well for them. But I'll be able to plant some fresh ones for fall, and hopefully they'll do better.

Tomatoes are now blooming like no tomorrow. Those are store bought ones, and took forever to set.

The only thing that didn't suffer from ANY attack, whether severe heat or super rain, or myriads of bugs - was basil. It's a tall bush now, I snipped the flowers off it, and it's going strong. Not a shred of a leaf was taken - it's clean and happy. You'd never think it will do so well, judging by how long it took for it to start growing.

Overall, I am very happy with my garden, and I certainly learned a ton this season.
Weedless_
Weedless_

Female Posts : 233

http://www.eatalready.com

Back to top Go down

Updates from the battlefield Empty congrats

Post  ander217 8/25/2010, 9:06 am

Congratulations on your cucurbit harvest. I am in awe. We managed to get a few butternuts, baby pumpkins, pickling cukes, and one zucchini and yellow crookneck squash before the bugs ruled.

We harvested two small Charentais muskmelons - tiny but good. They had a buttery texture. One more nearly ripened before something - probably a SVB ate right into it. (Or maybe it was a pickleworm? I'm not familiar with those.) Another Charentais plant came up volunteer in our deep SFG box - how in the world did it get there??? I let it run since we'd already harvested most of that box, and it was setting melons but yesterday I saw that the largest one was covered in young squash bugs. I don't know if I have the heart to keep battling them.

The only melon we had really good luck with was our Moon and Stars watermelon. They weren't bothered by any pests at all, knock on wood. (They grew in a different area of the garden, so maybe the bugs liked the other plants better and stayed in the other section.)

Glad you had a good year.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down