Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Toplef10eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? I22gcj10eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Toplef10eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? I22gcj10eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Yesterday at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising 5/9/2024, 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Little black dots under sunflower leaves?

+5
jenjehle
junequilt
SFG in Chicago
camprn
middlemamma
9 posters

Go down

eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Empty Little black dots under sunflower leaves?

Post  middlemamma 7/30/2010, 11:08 pm

And the ants are insane under there. Any ideas on what the black stuff might be and why the ants are loving it?

Im clueless.

We have treated all the bark around our boxes with ant be gone stuff and it hasnt made a dent in them. I have done DE on my plants and didnt notice a difference.

I have pretty much handed all my strawberries to the ants because I dont know what else to do. The ants are eating them off the plants before they are even ripe.

Ants appear to be my only pest problem.

Jennie
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Empty Re: Little black dots under sunflower leaves?

Post  camprn 7/30/2010, 11:52 pm

I'm not sure about the spots but if you know where the ant nest is may I suggest dousing it with boiling water. That may work.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Empty Re: Little black dots under sunflower leaves?

Post  middlemamma 7/31/2010, 12:50 am

Do all ants make a hill? We found two hills...and mowed them both down and poured enourmous amounts of ant killer on them. One hill was rebuilt and we did it again, it has no movement now. Seriously this was THE LARGEST ant hill I have ever seen in my life. It came up past my knees.

We have some trees on the property and some of them are just covered in ants. How far from their nest will they travel? I ask this because I have 3 kinds of ants. I have huge black carpenter ants. Since we did the granules in the grass at summer beginning we havent seen too many of those. Then we have black ants but bigger than a sugar ant, and they have a little brownish red near the head, this is what in in my garden. Then we also have a larger ant, smaller than carpenter but bigger than small black ant and these are WEIRD. They have a black head, and middle, but the rearend is brown with stripes of black on it, and they are longer and skinnier than what a normal ant looks like.

The granules in the grass seemed to take care of all but the ones in my garden. Is it possible they ahve made a nest somewhere in my squares and I dont see it?

They steer clear of my tomato plants, havent seen them on my beans, cukes, or zukes, but man my strawberries and sunflowers are just invaded. and my sunflowers have not opened up yet.

I would definetly try the boiling water...if I had a clue where to look for a nest or what to look for besides a hill.

Jennie
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago 8/2/2010, 1:06 am

Are you sure you don't have aphids? They secrete a sticky substance (honeydew) that ants love. The honeydew can get moldy which could cause the black spots you're seeing.
SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 8/2/2010, 1:25 am

Im not too sure of anything. Smile But I don't see many aphids. Maybe 1 a week or so.

I guess time will tell. I am trying to treat the ant issue and go from there. Here's hoping! Smile
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Empty Ants eating strawberries

Post  junequilt 8/2/2010, 5:56 pm

Here's some info on the strawberry-eating ant issue: http://www.ehow.com/how_4836339_rid-of-ants-eating-strawberries.html
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  jenjehle 8/2/2010, 11:46 pm

middlemamma wrote:And the ants are insane under there. Any ideas on what the black stuff might be and why the ants are loving it?

We have treated all the bark around our boxes with ant be gone stuff and it hasnt made a dent in them. I have done DE on my plants and didnt notice a difference.

Ants appear to be my only pest problem.

Jennie

OMG... I am so glad you started this thread! I have noticed the same, exact thing! These black spots and little "herds" or "gatherings" of ants. It's like an ANT PARTY on the under side of the sunflower leaves! I put DE on my sunflowers and the area, but how in the world do you get DE on the under side of the leaves?? Didn't notice any change in the ant activity either after the DE.

Looking forward to hearing more replies!

Thanks again!!
jenjehle
jenjehle

Female Posts : 248

http://picasaweb.google.com/107169543203897472824?feat=email

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/3/2010, 12:08 am

Sounds aphidy to me, too. The black spots could be mold from the nectar the ants herd the aphids for. But that is a guess.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jenjehle 8/3/2010, 12:24 am

Chopper wrote:Sounds aphidy to me, too. The black spots could be mold from the nectar the ants herd the aphids for. But that is a guess.

Ok, lets say it is aphids... never had them that I know of. What do we do to get rid of the ants hanging out UNDER the leaves?

T/U! (oh... sorry, stands for "Thank U") eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Icon_lol eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Icon_lol eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Icon_lol eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Icon_lol
jenjehle
jenjehle

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/3/2010, 2:01 am

Spray the little suckers with a very strong stream of water. More than once if needed. They should give up soonest. Alternately, people spray with insecticidal soap or a homemade dilute soap spray (I don't have any recipes - would google it if I needed one - or just fake it.)
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  outsideasy 8/3/2010, 3:26 am

Could it be black aphid, I had them so bad on my corn I just pulled my corn up to keep them from spreading.
outsideasy

Male Posts : 103

Back to top Go down

eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Empty LITTE BLACK DOTS

Post  graficow 8/3/2010, 7:06 am

I have large black ants under the leaves of my eggplants - they dont seem to
be eating anything tho - could they be eating some kind of tiny bug that might be
there? Ive tried to spray them away with the pressure of the hose water but
they hold on tight.
graficow
graficow

Female Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Empty Ants under eggplant leaves

Post  junequilt 8/3/2010, 11:06 am

If you have ants hanging out under eggplant leaves, they are farming aphids. You may not be able to see the aphids with the naked eye, but they are there -- trust me on this. If soap spray didn't get rid of the aphids, you may not have gotten the spray ON the aphids. You might want to try dusting the plants with diatomaceous earth. I was able to get some at Lowe's this past weekend for a flea beetle infestation, so it's readily available. Aphids are soft-bodied and easily killed by the microscopic sharp edges of diatomaceous earth, and unlike soap spray, it remains effective until rain washes it away. Once the aphids leave, so will the ants.
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  jenjehle 8/3/2010, 11:09 am

junequilt wrote:If you have ants hanging out under eggplant leaves, they are farming aphids. You may not be able to see the aphids with the naked eye, but they are there -- trust me on this. If soap spray didn't get rid of the aphids, you may not have gotten the spray ON the aphids. You might want to try dusting the plants with diatomaceous earth. I was able to get some at Lowe's this past weekend for a flea beetle infestation, so it's readily available. Aphids are soft-bodied and easily killed by the microscopic sharp edges of diatomaceous earth, and unlike soap spray, it remains effective until rain washes it away. Once the aphids leave, so will the ants.

But the problem for me is.... how do you get the DE on the underside of a leaf? Dusting from the top only gets it on the top... obviously. How do you coat the underside?

Thanks!
jenjehle
jenjehle

Back to top Go down

eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Empty Ants under eggplant leaves

Post  junequilt 8/3/2010, 1:37 pm

Got any old, unmatched socks? Put some of the DE in the sock and swing it around under the leaves. Hit the sock with your fist if you need to. The dust will get there! Make sure to wear a bandana or dust mask.

Another method is to put some DE on a plate, hold the plate under the leaves, and blow on it through a tube. I've used a straw and a piece of PVC. You just have to be careful not to breathe in through whatever you use. eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Icon_tongue
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Empty THANK YOU for all the replies...

Post  middlemamma 8/4/2010, 12:06 am

I am trying various methods and will report which I had luck with. If the ants are farming aphids then I'm going to get rid of ants and have aphids LOL.

Smile It's a learning curve...hang on tight!

Jennie
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  jenjehle 8/4/2010, 10:15 am

I sprayed top and bottom of leaves last evening with Garden Safe Insecticidal Soap. We'll give it a few days and see what happens!

Thanks to all who have chimed in with advice!

Oh, btw, I tried the sock method to get DE on the underside of the leaves. That didn't go so well for me. May try it again later.
jenjehle
jenjehle

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/4/2010, 12:33 pm

jenjehle wrote:I sprayed top and bottom of leaves last evening with Garden Safe Insecticidal Soap. We'll give it a few days and see what happens!

Thanks to all who have chimed in with advice!

Oh, btw, I tried the sock method to get DE on the underside of the leaves. That didn't go so well for me. May try it again later.

If you have a smallish plastic bottle - like a hair color applicator,with a small opening, try that. Just give it a good squirt. Otherwise, think like an engineer. You have powder you want to distribute under leaves. What would be the most efficient method to do so?
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 8/4/2010, 4:34 pm

I had a problem with ants earlier in the year. I put one outside ant trap in each of my boxes (where a trail was) and sprayed a few times with insecticide soap. The problem has almost entirely gone away (I am very happy to say).
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  junequilt 8/4/2010, 6:19 pm

Are we talking explosives, LOL?
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  jenjehle 8/4/2010, 7:34 pm

junequilt wrote:Are we talking explosives, LOL?

hey, now that's an idea that might actually work! eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Icon_lol eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Icon_lol eggplant - Little black dots under sunflower leaves? Icon_lol
jenjehle
jenjehle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down