Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to plant after corn is finished? Toplef10What to plant after corn is finished? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to plant after corn is finished? I22gcj10What to plant after corn is finished? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to plant after corn is finished? Toplef10What to plant after corn is finished? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to plant after corn is finished? I22gcj10What to plant after corn is finished? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 2:00 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What to plant after corn is finished?

+5
Megan
kimbertangleknot
dhhatfield52
chocolatepop
dixie
9 posters

Go down

What to plant after corn is finished? Empty What to plant after corn is finished?

Post  dixie 6/29/2010, 10:31 am

My first 4 x 4 of corn was pulled out last night - I pulled 35 ears last night, don't remember exactly how many we had already pulled to eat. That ain't bad for a 4 x 4 piece of ground. I planted mine 4 to a square. I would have had a few more ears if I had put wire around it BEFORE the wind blew it over. There were several stalks in the center that never would stand up as tall as the others & didn't get pollinated. (why does pollen have an E and pollinated have an I?)

I can't decide on what to plant next. In my area I have time for most anything to mature, except probably peppers from seed, but I want to try several fall crops. It's too early to plant the fall crops so I want to save enough space for them, but then again I hate to have any unplanted spots. I'm going to plant some carrots now & see how they do and I have several tomato suckers that are rooting in water & almost ready to go out. I am also going to do 2 verticals for delicata squash & take a chance on some melons.

Fall crops will be: Parsnips, rutabagas, cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, snap peas, carrots & lots of lettuce.

Any suggestions for something that matures quickly & will grow in hot weather?
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

What to plant after corn is finished? Empty Re: What to plant after corn is finished?

Post  chocolatepop 6/29/2010, 11:21 am

bush beans?
flowers
herbs
turnip
radish (a faster grower type suited for heat)
more onions

you said melon and squash.
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

What to plant after corn is finished? Empty Re: What to plant after corn is finished?

Post  dhhatfield52 6/29/2010, 12:21 pm

any suggestions for which kinds of radishes do well in heat?
dhhatfield52

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 6/29/2010, 2:20 pm

Here is a paragraph that might help you with how to grow radishes in the summer.

Radishes prefer the cool temperatures and short days of spring and late summer. Long-rooted types can tolerate heat and long days better. Plant in cool to warm soil (50-80F), 1/2 inch deep in rows 8-12 inches apart. Thin to 2 inches once germinated. Radishes are best grown quickly with plenty of water, and harvested promptly when ready as they do not 'keep' well in soil. Fertile soil, cool temperatures, and consistent moisture will yield the best crops. Plant in succession for an extended harvest.

Here is a link to a seed place that has a decent variety of seeds. A lot of organic, sales, and what not. If you decide to order from them for anything, I found an online coupon TJGSI it's only for 5% off your order, but it's better than saving nothing.
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/29/2010, 5:09 pm

kimbertangleknot wrote:
Radishes are best grown quickly with plenty of water, and harvested promptly when ready as they do not 'keep' well in soil.

Just a note about radishes "keeping" in soil: I have let a few of mine stay in ground as a trap crop. The one that got the most sun has sent up branches that are nearly shoulder-high (!!) and it is merrily blooming away, lots of flowers. Really pretty pink-purple flowers, too, on something that looks vaguely like a triffid. flower

And, @ Dixie, WOW. My corn is nowhere near producing yet, though it's a little ahead of the "knee high by 4th of July"! For fall I am planning on lettuce, parsnips (for overwintering), mustard, celery, pumpkins, cabbage, chard, kohlrabi, rapini, and more radishes. Probably more carrots, too... and plant some garlic if I can find sets.

(Hubby was bemused by my choice of pumpkins. "You want to plant ANOTHER monster vine?!")
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 6/29/2010, 5:25 pm

Jaybird: I have had good luck with grocery store garlic. I've planted the elephant garlic and the white garlic (2 bulbs in a box) from the grocery section at Walmart. I bought some of the more expensive purple garlic ($3.58 a pound) this week. I just don't know when to plant it. I'mt too cheap to buy from the garden guys, but I'm sure it would do better. I'm going to grow parsnips this year for the first time - any words of wisdom about them?
dixie
dixie

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 6/29/2010, 5:40 pm

Never grown parsnips, Dixie, but oh, we love them here -- Roasted with carrots in the oven, or boiled and mashed with some potatoes. Yum.

They have a slightly sweet/peppery flavor that we just love.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/29/2010, 5:59 pm

My dad used to grow parsnips. They are delicious. Sweeter after frost, and you can leave them in the ground and dig as needed.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 6/29/2010, 6:05 pm

Hmmmm.... I have one end of my 3x6 box empty, and I have the materials for a riser. I think I will do a riser for parsnips and carrots... it's probably too early to plant for fall and winter, though. (I think in my area, end of July is when to start the fall garden.)
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 6/29/2010, 8:16 pm

just remember parsnips take about 100days to mature....
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/29/2010, 8:32 pm

100 days from today is October 7.... which is probably before frost before most people... and parsnips taste better after frost. So......???

(This website is my new friend: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 6/29/2010, 8:41 pm

How about some edamame? They get about 2-3 feet high and are great served green. Very good for you too!
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 6/29/2010, 10:03 pm

I'm going to try some baby broccoli from seed when I pull up the sugar snap peas.

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/11070/broccoli_seed

And I know I said before that I didn't think the yield was worth it, but I'm also plant some edamame (also from Territorial Seed. Later on I'm going to plant some baby pak choi. Can't stand to see empty squares!

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 6/29/2010, 11:14 pm

Problem solved - DH found some really nice, large bell pepper plants in individual pots at the hardware store. They were 2 buy one, get one free. There 2 plants in each pot & I was able to tear the peat pots apart & separate them without messing up the roots too much.

I thought I planted plenty of bell peppers, but I must have mislabeled because I have LOTS of hot pepper plants - Jalapeno, serrano, hot banana, hot hungarian, ancho, pepperoncini & cascabella (these little devils are very hot).
dixie
dixie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down