Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
critter - Modesto, Central Valley, CA... - Page 11 Toplef10critter - Modesto, Central Valley, CA... - Page 11 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

critter - Modesto, Central Valley, CA... - Page 11 I22gcj10critter - Modesto, Central Valley, CA... - Page 11 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
critter - Modesto, Central Valley, CA... - Page 11 Toplef10critter - Modesto, Central Valley, CA... - Page 11 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

critter - Modesto, Central Valley, CA... - Page 11 I22gcj10critter - Modesto, Central Valley, CA... - Page 11 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 10:20 am

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Modesto, Central Valley, CA...

+31
Triciasgarden
FamilyGardening
sanderson
audrey.jeanne.roberts
RoOsTeR
llama momma
Denese
cienfuegos
barmstr
MarcyG
dianamarie03
Goosegirl
mrsfish94
FarmerValerie
jumiclads
LaFee
CarolynPhillips
Megan
acara
elliephant
camprn
Furbalsmom
Old Hippie
outsideasy
Ha-v-v
boffer
Shoda
Chopper
ander217
Wyldflower
PNG_Grandma
35 posters

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down

critter - Modesto, Central Valley, CA... - Page 11 Empty Re: Modesto, Central Valley, CA...

Post  Kelejan 12/18/2015, 12:16 am

One could always cover the outside with something like vining plants so that it would look "pretty" using trellis etc to support the vines.  Or surround it with bushes that could be kept neat.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

critter - Modesto, Central Valley, CA... - Page 11 Empty Re: Modesto, Central Valley, CA...

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/18/2015, 8:12 am

Or paint them.  They need to be painted a dark color anyway to prevent mold, etc. from growing inside.  Paint it a dark green or blue background with flowers, etc....
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 12/18/2015, 3:46 pm

KelejanOne could always cover the outside with something like vining plants so that it would look "pretty" using trellis etc to support the vines.  Or surround it with bushes that could be kept neat.

AtlantaMarieOr paint them.  They need to be painted a dark color anyway to prevent mold, etc. from growing inside.  Paint it a dark green or blue background with flowers, etc....

Thanks for the suggestions, you gave me a smile  Very Happy

Planting around the barrels is not an option unless we plant in containers. In the Apollo Garden everything must be within the garden boxes. This is a "temporary" garden area, although it will probably be very long term, but nothing gets planted in the ground.

As for painting the barrels ... we'd need to use paint that wouldn't harm the barrels. We used the blue barrels on the west side of our house because they get full sun for several hours. We used white barrels on the east side of the house because they are under a lattice and vine covered area with no direct sunlight. We haven't seen any algae  in either set, but we've been told a small amount of bleach will take care of any green yucky growth.

happy hi

Last edited by PNG_Grandma on 12/18/2015, 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : The quotes failed to appear!)
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 297
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/18/2015, 5:46 pm

Both of our 330-gallon water totes sit in the sun.  We used a black paint that was specifically for plastic.

Someone help me out here.....  Bonds to plastic, comes in a spray can....  Major paint name...  also has magnetic & chalkboard paints...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/18/2015, 8:54 pm

I cheated and looked at my cans. RustOleum has a spray paint for plastic. Just make sure the plastic is really clean.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/18/2015, 9:38 pm

Rust-O-Leum!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/19/2015, 6:59 am

THAT'S it!  Rustoleum!

Thanks, guys...  

(Man, this memory stuff as you get older....  Um.... what were we talking about?)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 4/7/2016, 2:00 pm

Hi to all of you! Just a short update on both the Apollo Garden and our rain barrels. Both are continuing to do well. No more leaks with the barrels and they stay full with the brief rains we've had here in the Modesto area in the past 3-4 months. Our lakes in the more northern part of the State are looking so much better, but from the Modesto area southward through the valley down to Bakersfield - the growing part of Ca - we could be better. 

The gardeners in the Apollo Garden are in transition right now, beginning to plant all those summer things we love so much ... like tomatoes, squash, peppers, and more! Al is planting some seeds directly in the garden instead of starting them indoors or in the greenhouse, but I'm a bit concerned they'll be washed away with the rain headed our way this weekend and into next week. We won't get much but ... ???

We've been eating greens until I think we're about to turn green! Various types of lettuce, also kale, spinach, Swiss chard, collards, mustard greens, beets and more. Yeah, Al gets a bit carried away but he gives away many bags to delighted friends and neighbors! The snow peas and sugar snap peas are great to just eat, almost like candy!

Good to see so many long time friends here! Just spent the last almost 2 hours scrolling through the posts, wow, how time flies!!
happy hi
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/7/2016, 3:42 pm

Hi PNG_Grandma!

So happy to see you again!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/7/2016, 4:28 pm

Hi PNG_Grandma, It's good to hear from you and know everything is going good for you and Al.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/7/2016, 11:21 pm

I was talking about you a couple weeks ago trying to explain your rain barrel system to to a friend.  So glad to hear all is well  Very Happy
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 3/16/2018, 3:06 pm

Hi to all of you! I just read through many of the posts in this topic - WOW! What a great journey Al & I have had with our Apollo Garden. The garden is still here, a few new gardeners, a few changes in the feel of the garden but overall it's still the same. Al has reduced the number of boxes he has by giving them to new neighbors. We've been through three changes of ownership of our senior community and so far all of them have liked the garden idea, whew! We'll eat some Kale, Swiss Chard, and Spinach with our dinner tonight fresh from the garden. Last year Al didn't plant any of the Butternut Squash or the Spaghetti Squash - things we both really love to eat! When he bought some at the store for too many $$s p/pound he decided he will plant them this year - Yay! 

In our "community" herb box we lost the two thyme plants and one sage plant. Al said he's replanting those this year. The bees are loving the flowers on the Rosemary right now, hoping to keep those little guys around all year. 

Oh, almost forgot to mention the rain barrels - we still have all 14 of them, still use water from them when the water in our senior community is turned off for repairs (this is an old senior park) and we use the water to flush toilets and water the outside plants around our yard and porch. We're getting quite a few days of rain right now, but we're still in the dreaded drought and limited on watering here in Modesto. 

Just thought I'd update everyone that my idea from 2010 is still going well!
happy hi
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/16/2018, 3:13 pm

PNG Granda, So good to hear from you. happy hi Good to hear that the rain barrel set up is still working. critter - Modesto, Central Valley, CA... - Page 11 3170584802 It looks like another water restriction year. Sad

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/17/2018, 7:03 am

Hi PNG_Grandma! Good to see you & hear that things are going well!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 1/30/2021, 7:47 pm

sanderson wrote:PNG Granda, So good to hear from you.  happy hi  Good to hear that the rain barrel set up is still working.   critter - Modesto, Central Valley, CA... - Page 11 3170584802  It looks like another water restriction year. Sad
Hi to all of you - again!! It's been a few years since I've posted.
Update - Al and I are still kicking, though not as hard as we did when we built the Apollo Garden in 2010! We're healthy, for the most part. Al had Thyroid surgery a year ago to remove the cancer in some lymph nodes and his thyroid but is doing so well, even with a tiny bit of cancer still in one lymph node. Docs say not to worry. We're not.
My mom died last March, the day we went into lockdown for this COVID-19 pandemic. A blessing for all of our family that she left us that day. So far, Al and I are safe and healthy.

About our beautiful Apollo Garden - it's just that, Beautiful! Some new gardeners and a few of the originals still hanging around!

About our rain harvesting - still working well! We've just had a couple of rainstorms, one was a real doozy of a storm this past week so the barrels, all 14 of them, are completely filled again. If we continue another year of California drought here in the Central Valley, or Northern San Joaquin Valley as the news stations keep calling us, we'll have enough water for all the plants around our yard.

We've missed all of you. Al has only one 4x4 box this year and right now he has Snow Peas and Sugar Snap Peas planted. The horrendous winds we had a few nights ago didn't destroy the plants Al has growing up on twine. I hope he plants the butternut and spaghetti squash seeds in the same box like he promised. We love both types of squash and I just hate to pay the price in the grocery stores when they grow so well in our Apollo Garden!

Wow, we started the Apollo Garden in July 2010 and it's still giving gardeners and our neighbors on their daily walks past the garden such joy. The birds love the garden as to do the butterflies, dragonflies, and other critters too. 
Mother Nature sure puts on a great show in our beautiful garden, and it carries over into our front yard.
happy hi happy hi  from the two of us to all of you!!
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/31/2021, 2:35 pm

So glad for the update!  Glad you are here!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/31/2021, 11:24 pm

PNG,  I'm so glad you checked in with us.  happy hi The rain we just received in the Valley was wonderful, and I'm glad your rain barrels are full.  You and Al did a great job building the set up.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 4/25/2021, 9:06 pm

Hi Sanderson! As you can see, life still gets in the way of me posting regularly.
Al and I are still healthy, Al's still driving the school bus for special needs kids and absolutely loves his job and his kids. I'm still working on genealogy for other people and we're both enjoying the delicious peas that grew in the garden this season. Oh, yeah, we're both fully vaccinated with no issues, whew!

I spent some time in the garden today talking with one of our newer gardeners and told him the history of our Apollo Garden. What a journey it's been from when we began back in June 2010 until now. 

Still such a peaceful place to be.

happy hi
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11