Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Oops!  Botched Mel's Mix.  Now What? Toplef10Oops!  Botched Mel's Mix.  Now What? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Oops!  Botched Mel's Mix.  Now What? I22gcj10Oops!  Botched Mel's Mix.  Now What? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Oops!  Botched Mel's Mix.  Now What? Toplef10Oops!  Botched Mel's Mix.  Now What? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Oops!  Botched Mel's Mix.  Now What? I22gcj10Oops!  Botched Mel's Mix.  Now What? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Yesterday at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising 5/9/2024, 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Oops! Botched Mel's Mix. Now What?

4 posters

Go down

Oops!  Botched Mel's Mix.  Now What? Empty Oops! Botched Mel's Mix. Now What?

Post  Finch 5/26/2010, 10:06 am

I have Mel's old SFG book, so this winter when I was planning my garden I got online and learned of all the updates. Such as Mels' Mix. Unfortunately I didn't see (or I overlooked) the fact that he says never to use only one kind of compost, use FIVE. I bought the vermiculite, peat moss, and lots of mushroom compost. That's it.

I had a very lush spring garden, lots of gorgeous greens and lettuce, etc. Carrots fine, beets fine, most things fine. I've had some issues with my tomatoes (lots of growth but tough and gnarled, with little fruit). Pole beans are lookoing that way now, too. So I'm on the look-out for problems. Been doing research online and no one thing seems to be the cause.

Yesterday I bought the new book to give a neighbor (who LOVES my garden Oops!  Botched Mel's Mix.  Now What? Icon_smile Oops!  Botched Mel's Mix.  Now What? Icon_smile ) and of course had to read it before giving it to her. Saw I had done it wrong. Oops!  Botched Mel's Mix.  Now What? Icon_cry

So I'm pretty sure my Mix could use some help. I've started using fish emulsion. Any other ideas out there?
Finch
Finch

Back to top Go down

Oops!  Botched Mel's Mix.  Now What? Empty Re: Oops! Botched Mel's Mix. Now What?

Post  plb 5/26/2010, 10:18 am

Mix 5 types of compost, or as many as you can find. Then add a scoop to each of the squares that are empty, or add one every time you harvest a square (as recommended by the book). That should amend your mix.
plb

Back to top Go down

Oops!  Botched Mel's Mix.  Now What? Empty Re: Oops! Botched Mel's Mix. Now What?

Post  semiuseless 5/26/2010, 11:27 am

Adding a scoop of compost to each square every time you replant will go a long way toward getting the kind of mix you need.

If you are really worried, then over the winter add a bag or two of mixed compost to each box and mix it in.

If you make your own compost, you will far exceed 5 sources without even trying. In the last week I have added the following to my compost pile: dried leaves from hedge clippings, grass clippings, two bunches of cut flowers, garden leaves from pruning, at least a dozen kinds of vegetable peels, two watermelon rinds, egg shells, mushrooms, and peanut shells.
semiuseless
semiuseless

Male Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 5/26/2010, 2:13 pm

All good suggestions for improving your mix. The Mel's mix I made up had 5 kinds of compost but one bed is still not doing well, so I use a Miracle Grow for veggies clone. There is a certified organic one if that is important to you. Your plants need help now as you enrich your soil for the future.

I also found rabbit manure and spread the pellets around. The combination of that plus fertilizer has helped tremendously.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down