Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can aphids slow/stop the growth and production of my tomato plants? Toplef10Can aphids slow/stop the growth and production of my tomato plants? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can aphids slow/stop the growth and production of my tomato plants? I22gcj10Can aphids slow/stop the growth and production of my tomato plants? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can aphids slow/stop the growth and production of my tomato plants? Toplef10Can aphids slow/stop the growth and production of my tomato plants? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can aphids slow/stop the growth and production of my tomato plants? I22gcj10Can aphids slow/stop the growth and production of my tomato plants? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Can aphids slow/stop the growth and production of my tomato plants?

4 posters

Go down

Can aphids slow/stop the growth and production of my tomato plants? Empty Can aphids slow/stop the growth and production of my tomato plants?

Post  stevenfstein 7/3/2023, 9:43 am

My tomato plants were doing quite well and then I noticed a pretty bad infestation of aphids. Been using the dish soap method and put some of the yellow sticky pads out and the numbers have drastically reduced. Before planting I mixed in some composted manure, mushroom compost and leaf compost. Also sprinkled on Mycorrhizal Fungi Root Enhancer on the root ball before planting. Hardly any tomatoes and thin spindly stalks. Using the string method for support and pinching off all the suckers I can find. I live in NY so has been a pretty wet summer so far. Suggestions appreciated.

Best... Steve
stevenfstein
stevenfstein

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Can aphids slow/stop the growth and production of my tomato plants? Empty Re: Can aphids slow/stop the growth and production of my tomato plants?

Post  OhioGardener 7/3/2023, 10:07 am

A lot of things can cause a temporary pause or slowdown in the growth of the tomatoes. Aphids is certainly one of them, but so is too much water (rain) or a sudden cool down in temps. If the aphid population has decreased, that is a good sign. Heavy rains can leach nutrients away from the roots temporarily, too.  Patience is the best remedy at this time.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4524

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Can aphids slow/stop the growth and production of my tomato plants? Empty Re: Can aphids slow/stop the growth and production of my tomato plants?

Post  sanderson 7/4/2023, 4:06 am

Instead of dish detergent, it is gentler to use a Castile soap, such as Dr. Bronner's Liquid Peppermint Soap. Dish detergents contain surfactants that can remove the natural waxes and oils of leaves.

https://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/care/pests-and-diseases/pests/management/soaps-detergents-and-pest-management.html?fbclid=IwAR3qNr9Qt9B03knyqAjODIR07GCGyu8JPKBp8dbtJn9ZxhuUWMEmC25x4d0

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/4/2023, 8:47 am

sanderson wrote:Instead of dish detergent, it is gentler to use a Castile soap, such as Dr. Bronner's Liquid Peppermint Soap.  Dish detergents contain surfactants that can remove the natural waxes and oils of leaves.

In addition to that, dish detergents often are anti-bacterial, which destroys the beneficial microbes in the garden.  And, the peppermint scent of the Castile soap repels many pesty insects.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  stevenfstein 7/4/2023, 10:06 am

much appreciated - quick questions, does the peppermint smell linger? Will it affect the taste of the tomatoes or would I simply wash it off? Also, do I use straight or dilute a couple of teaspoons in a gallon of water like I have been doing?

Best... Steve
stevenfstein
stevenfstein

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/4/2023, 11:00 am

stevenfstein wrote:much appreciated - quick questions, does the peppermint smell linger? Will it affect the taste of the tomatoes or would I simply wash it off? Also, do I use straight or dilute a couple of teaspoons in a gallon of water like I have been doing?

No, the peppermint smell does not stay on the plant nor the fruit, it dissipates over time.  Only spray plants in the early morning or early evening, never during the heat of the day when the sun is highest in the sky - spraying soap when the sun is hot will burn the plants.

Don't spray straight, but mix 1 Tbsp per quart of water.

There is a short article and video by Lisa Bronner on using Castile soap for garden pests:  https://www.lisabronner.com/castile-soap-spray-for-garden-pests/

Can aphids slow/stop the growth and production of my tomato plants? Bronne11

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson, Scorpio Rising and stevenfstein like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/4/2023, 10:40 pm

What OG wrote.

Just rinse the veggies like you would have done if you had used dish soap or other pesticides.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/15/2023, 1:54 am

Can aphids slow/stop the growth and production of my tomato plants? Bronne11
Love the Bronner's. The group may find this interesting.
The Five Soapmaking Locations of Bronner Family Soaps

https://www.lisabronner.com/the-five-soapmaking-locations-of-bronner-family-soaps/
has55
has55

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/16/2023, 6:50 pm

Fascinating!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down