Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Deformed cucumbers Toplef10Deformed cucumbers 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Deformed cucumbers I22gcj10Deformed cucumbers 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Deformed cucumbers Toplef10Deformed cucumbers 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Deformed cucumbers I22gcj10Deformed cucumbers 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Deformed cucumbers

+2
OhioGardener
rdhwyalane
6 posters

Go down

Deformed cucumbers Empty Deformed cucumbers

Post  rdhwyalane 6/19/2022, 8:28 pm

Deformed cucumbers B9ee9010
Hi everyone.  I’m hoping to get some advice about my cucumbers.  They are the pickling variety so I expected them to be small, but they’re all deformed. 😕 I have them growing up a tomato cage in one of my squares, Mel’s mix, plenty of sun.   Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks,

Alane
rdhwyalane
rdhwyalane

Female Posts : 18

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Deformed cucumbers Empty Re: Deformed cucumbers

Post  OhioGardener 6/19/2022, 8:49 pm

There are a number of things that can cause deformed cucumbers such as the ones in your picture.  In adequate pollination is a frequent cause of that condition. Not enough water can also cause that, since cucumbers are 96% water, plants need a lot of water during the formation of the fruit. Another frequent cause of such deformity can be too much fertilizer, but that should not be a problem with your gardens if you are using a good blend of composts -- that is assuming your MM does not include too much manure or worm castings.

Can you shed a little more light on the condition of your beds, the watering, etc.?

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson and Hip2B like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rdhwyalane 6/19/2022, 9:29 pm

I'm guessing I probably don't water enough.  It usually rains here about once a week, and I try to water with the hose in between (I don't have an irrigation system).  How often do you water?

I did add a handful of black cow to the spot where I planted.  Not sure about the pollination.  Can you hand pollinate the way you can with squash?
rdhwyalane
rdhwyalane

Female Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/20/2022, 9:08 am

rdhwyalane wrote:I'm guessing I probably don't water enough.  It usually rains here about once a week, and I try to water with the hose in between (I don't have an irrigation system).  How often do you water?

It is important to know when to water, and how much. Vegetable plants need 1" of water per week.  Do you get one inch of rain per week? If not you need to add enough water to bring it up to 1". For example, if the rain gauge says you got 1/4" inch of rain, you need to add 3/4" of water. I use a moisture meter to periodically check the soil for the moisture level - if it is moist, leave it alone, but if it is dry add water.

Can you hand pollinate the way you can with squash?

Yes, they can be hand pollinated.  Check your plants early in the morning to see if there are bees busy pollinating the plants. The bees are most active in the early morning, before the sun gets too hot, so you should see a lot of activity on the plants at that time of the day.  If you are not seeing bees on the flowers, and you may need alternative pollination techniques. 

Be sure to interplant flowers in your gardens to attract pollinators. Vegetables alone are not enough to attract pollinators, they need an abundance of flowers.

This honeybee is enjoying a cucumber flowerDeformed cucumbers Cucumb28

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 6/20/2022, 11:54 am

I get those deformed fruit on some zucchini and cucumber varieties that are bred to produce a profuse amount of fruit by having a super-high ratio of female flowers to male flowers. The female flowers outnumber the males enough so that if there is not enough male flowers to pollinate them all; you get either the "morphed" fruit, or a shriveled little stub with an anemic appearance that will just atrophe and rot on the vine. You can hand pollinate, plant flowers that attract bees, or think about next year's cucumber varieties that are self pollinating and really push out the cukes.

Parthenocarpic Cucumbers:   Watch and learn
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/20/2022, 1:17 pm

Hi Alane, You have already been given some good information on possible causes of deformed cucumbers. You are not alone with deformed fruit. I grow Munchers and Beit Alpha, the later having been developed in the Mediterranean for climates such as mine. Some are absolutely beautiful and others are deformed, most likely from incomplete pollination in my case.

Just a thought. I grow 16 cucumber plants in a 2'x4' bed and another 12 in a 2" x 3" bed. When a pollinator visits these 2 beds, the only flowers available are cucumbers. Most of my beds are a mono-crops. I know some folks interplant crops but I have to work with the few pollinators I have. Just throwing this out.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 6/21/2022, 9:49 pm

OhioGardener wrote:There are a number of things that can cause deformed cucumbers such as the ones in your picture.  In adequate pollination is a frequent cause of that condition. Not enough water can also cause that, since cucumbers are 96% water, plants need a lot of water during the formation of the fruit. Another frequent cause of such deformity can be too much fertilizer, but that should not be a problem with your gardens if you are using a good blend of composts -- that is assuming your MM does not include too much manure or worm castings.

Can you shed a little more light on the condition of your beds, the watering, etc.?
Ok, if I can piggy back on this thread,  what was supposed to be my pickling cukes are shaped like this, too. 

I put 1/5th manure (mostly Black Kow but a bit of Epsoma chicken) and 1/5th home produced worm castings in my compost mix.  Then, my own veg compost, another's veg compost, and Black Velvet mushroom compost.

It's a self-wicking bed.  I don't think it's gone without water.  I did however not cut the fruits soon enough, and the cuke plants started to turn yellow. I cut the fruits and the plants started to turn green again by the hour. There were other mini cukes started. 

So if the compost is okay, then I'm left with incomplete pollination. But I think we've seen bees on them in the morning.
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/22/2022, 1:13 pm

I grow small parhtenocarpic cucumbers so I do not have to worry too much about pollination.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum