Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds Toplef10Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds I22gcj10Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds Toplef10Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds I22gcj10Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds

5 posters

Go down

Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds Empty Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds

Post  sanderson 5/3/2022, 4:49 pm

Yukon Gold Potatoes.  I planted the seed potatoes in 6-7" of Mel's Mix in 3 squares in a table top bed mid-February.  I harvested them yesterday, May 2.  They were getting leaf spot so they had to come out of the bed, ready or not.  (Not early blight, thank goodness)  They are an early variety and supposed to be easy to harvest.  I cooked one in the air fryer, coated with olive oil and sea salt. 🤤

3/17/22
Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds Potato24

4/3/22
Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds Potato25

Harvest 5/2/22, 5/2/22
Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds Potato26

Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds Potato27

For breakfast 5/3/22.  I poked holes and baked them in the air fryer with olive oil and sea salt.  First 90 seconds in the microwave and then 7 minutes at 390*F in the air fryer.  Just a tad under cooked but still uncommonly good.
Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds Potato28

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

WhiteWolf22, Soose and Hip2B like this post

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds Empty Re: Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds

Post  sanderson 10/12/2022, 4:24 pm

Aust 26, I planted 9 small Yukon Golds from the early April harvest.  Yesterday this beautiful show of flowers appeared.  I have no idea of the significance of flowering, but I hope it's a good sign. I expect to harvest sometime in November. ?? Never grown a fall crop before.

Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds Potato31
Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds Potato32
Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds Potato33

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Scorpio Rising and WhiteWolf22 like this post

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds Empty Re: Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds

Post  OhioGardener 10/12/2022, 6:58 pm

sanderson wrote:Aust 26, I planted 9 small Yukon Golds from the early April harvest.  Yesterday this beautiful show of flowers appeared.  I have no idea of the significance of flowering, but I hope it's a good sign. 

Have you ever seen potato fruit? They look a lot like miniature tomatoes. They actually form seeds to reproduce themselves.  When I was a youngster I worked summers for a fruit farm and one of the jobs was to cut the bloom stems off potatoes because the grower believed the potatoes used their energy to form the small fruit instead of forming tubers. Don't know if it actually made a difference, but it was a summer job....

Found a page with a picture of the potato fruit: https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/what_are_those_fruit_growing_on_my_potato_plants

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4534

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson, WhiteWolf22 and Soose like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/13/2022, 1:37 pm

OG, Thank you for this link. Very interesting.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  WhiteWolf22 10/15/2022, 12:13 am

You're all quite fortunate to be growing Yukons.  For the past 2 years we have been unable to get the seed potato shipped here.  It used to be the only potato I grew.  The taste is better than any potato I've had.  I don't know if I'll be able to get them next year.  I sure hope so.  I don't know why we can't get them.  The darn things in the store are sold sterile.  Someone, send me some seed potatoes!  Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease    No
WhiteWolf22
WhiteWolf22

Female Posts : 21

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/15/2022, 2:25 am

Idaho is such a Russett state. The Yukon Golds in the grocery store are not sterile. They have probably been treated to suppress sprouting. It's a temporary treatment and they will eventually start sprouting.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Scorpio Rising, WhiteWolf22 and Soose like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  WhiteWolf22 10/15/2022, 3:00 am

Really???!!!  I was told that they were sold as sterile!  WOW!  If that's the case, then I'll just get a small bag and hold a few of them for planting.  They have gone up so high in price, same as the red potatoes.  Living in Idaho, you kind of don't care for the russets except for fries and maybe baked.  The Yukons are so buttery and smooth.  The taste and texture is so different than any potato around.  Thanks for the info Sanderson.    Very Happy
WhiteWolf22
WhiteWolf22

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/15/2022, 9:43 am

sanderson wrote:Idaho is such a Russett state.  The Yukon Golds in the grocery store are not sterile.  They have probably been treated to suppress sprouting.  It's a temporary treatment and they will eventually start sprouting.

A couple thoughts:

1. If concerned about the growth inhibitor applied to the potatoes, buy organic potatoes. Organic potatoes cannot have any chemicals applied to them.

2. To speed up the process of potatoes sprouting, place them in a box with sliced apples. The apples will emit ethylene gas which encourages the sprouting of the potatoes.  Note: This will not work with GMO apples as they are bred to not decay.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson, WhiteWolf22 and Soose like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/15/2022, 5:21 pm

WW, You've got 5+ months until March-April to experiment. YG are early potatoes so you should be able to grow them easily. No hilling needed if planted 5" and straw mulched after they are up. I'm assuming that the beds are cool and need the sun at first. The straw will protect any potato that is at the surface. I was going to say "happy spudding" but spudding is an actual word! Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

WhiteWolf22 and Soose like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  DianeZone7OK 10/15/2022, 8:48 pm

sanderson wrote:Aust 26, I planted 9 small Yukon Golds from the early April harvest.  Yesterday this beautiful show of flowers appeared.  I have no idea of the significance of flowering, but I hope it's a good sign.  I expect to harvest sometime in November.  ??  Never grown a fall crop before.

I'm in central OK, and grow fall Yukon Golds every year. I plant Aug 15th because anything earlier seems too hot for them to germinate. Last year it was early December before they died back all the way and I dug them up. It also got cold here early and delayed them a bit. Remember, the foliage is very frost sensitive, and they have to be covered if it's going to get near 32F. I don't have the wonderful frames that you have for covers -- I use home-made bent wire hoops and old sheets, especially flannels. If a leaf is touching the sheet and the sheet freezes, the leaf will die.
DianeZone7OK

sanderson and WhiteWolf22 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  WhiteWolf22 10/15/2022, 9:41 pm

I think it's going to be too late for me this year.  Our days haven't been above 75 for over 2 weeks now and it looks like we may be getting a combination of snow/rain between the 21st and 23rd this next week.  That means we'll be getting our first frost.  We usually don't get that until after Halloween.  These LaNinas have really been dumping on us for the past 2 years, and now, this year.  Last year, at one point, I had 4 feet of snow sitting on top of my boxes.   affraid   Mind you, we actually had 2 weeks of 100+ during the summer but my sister in CA said they had a lot of 100s and it started early.  She said her garden was thriving.  They put in a misting system and put up shades.  She said the combination of both is what probably saved her garden.  She also said that some critter has been stealing cantaloupes.  I asked if her critter had 4 legs or 2.  She lives in Sacramento.  As it is, I'll probably be canning green tomato relish.  We just needed a couple more weeks of heat.

I'll check and see if our local grocer has organic Yukons.  I'll have to go out and cut back my Ark Blackberries so I'll have blackberries next year.  My starter canes were only 10" tall and now they're over 6 feet!  I think my 2 cherry dwarfs, my Thimbleberry bush, and my peach dwarf will be needing a miracle in the Spring.  I'll be covering their base with straw.  Right now they kind of look dead but the University said just wait for the Spring.  I know I have about 2 more years for any fruit, but I'm getting anxious over it.  Meanwhile, I'm still planning where everything will be in the garden next year and I may have to get one of those new metal oval planters - they kind of look like horse troughs and they come with a trellis.  It would work well for the blackberries.  Let them grow to 5 feet and then hang them over the trellis so the tips will go back into the soil to make new canes.  In 2 years, I could probably make my 2 original canes into 8 canes.  I just have to keep it away from the fence or the deer, elks, moose, and bears will be getting it before I can.  

Well, nough said.  Love chatting with y'all.  Good weekend to you all.
WhiteWolf22
WhiteWolf22

Scorpio Rising and Soose like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  DianeZone7OK 10/15/2022, 10:04 pm

Everybody remember that Yukon Golds (and other potatoes) do not need pollination and can be grown indoors over the winter if you have a large window or patio door that gets sun for a few hours per day. They don't mature as fast as those in full sun outdoors, but you still get taters! And not a single Colorado Potato Beetle!

I don't have pictures, but I use 5 gallon kitty litter buckets with MM. I get a length of 1/2" PVC, cap the bottom and drill 4 or 5 side holes, and put it in one corner to water. You can surely use other sorts of buckets, and those popular cloth bags.

The hardest part is finding seed potatoes this time of year. Maybe you'll have some old ones sprouting in your pantry?
DianeZone7OK

Back to top Go down

Post  WhiteWolf22 10/15/2022, 10:24 pm

I have a deck with windows, but it's way too cold in our winters.  Last year we had 2 solid weeks of below 0 temps - the coldest was -17.  I'll wait patiently.  If it's one thing we gardeners have it's patience.  We only get mild winters here if there's an el nino but 3 years of la nina  - no one knows what that will be like.  But, during the la ninas, there's hardly any hurricanes on the east coast.  On el ninos, they have to run through the entire alphabet for names.  We've never had a 3 year la nina cycle before.  I guess we'll find out...
WhiteWolf22
WhiteWolf22

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/17/2022, 9:05 am

WhiteWolf, that’s a really good idea for the raspberries!  They get so invaded by grass and weeds in my area it’s futile at ground level.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

WhiteWolf22 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/17/2022, 9:37 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:WhiteWolf, that’s a really good idea for the raspberries!  They get so invaded by grass and weeds in my area it’s futile at ground level.

SR, there is a pick-your-own raspberry farm near us that does not clean nor cultivate their berries. They just mow around them, and the acre of raspberries looks like a lawn with berry bushes in it.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/27/2023, 4:14 pm

It looks like I missed one of the Yukon Golds from the fall crop, the August planting for a November harvest.  It's growing up in the square with late spring lettuce square!  The lettuce will be gone very soon with the heat. Potatoes - Yukon Gold Potatoes in Table Top Beds Potato37

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down