Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting my first SFG: pics and a few questions Toplef10Planting my first SFG: pics and a few questions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting my first SFG: pics and a few questions I22gcj10Planting my first SFG: pics and a few questions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting my first SFG: pics and a few questions Toplef10Planting my first SFG: pics and a few questions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting my first SFG: pics and a few questions I22gcj10Planting my first SFG: pics and a few questions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Planting my first SFG: pics and a few questions

4 posters

Go down

Planting my first SFG: pics and a few questions Empty Planting my first SFG: pics and a few questions

Post  EastBayNP 5/25/2021, 3:15 pm

I introduced myself here in early April and finally am ready to plant after several weeks of delay. First, the supplier for my bed bungled my order TWICE, so while I have a few extra boards, it took nearly 3 weeks to get all the pieces I paid for. Then UPS lost my vermiculite for 3 days. Then my 7 month old got her first cold while teething and turned into a stage-5 clinger that had me cuddle trapped on the couch or glider for nearly a week.

Anyways, the bed is built and filled and ready for planting! My compost includes an organic mix from a local nursery, Cedar Grove that I was lucky to find at Home Depot while visiting my in-laws in the CA Central Valley, chicken manure, Espoma Land and Sea that I was able to order from the east coast, earthworm casings, and Boogie Brew humus. I then topped off with some EB Stone Sure Start that has kelp, alfalfa, bone, and blood meals, bat guano, and a few other things—not sure if this was needed but it was recommended at the local nursery, and me being a newbie, I gave in thinking I needed all of the things.

The inside dimensions are 39 sq in so I made a 3x3 grid. The trellis was a leftover piece that our gardener had from another client. Will this be enough support for tomatoes, bell peppers, and chili peppers? Do the chili peppers need a tall support like this or will staking be enough? I have a traditional tomato cage, so if needed, I can move the trellis over to one side for bell and chili peppers and place the cage in the tomato square. I also have 2 chili plants—ghost and jalapeño, which I read can grow tall, so not sure how to space them out given I have 4 tall growing plants that should ideally go in the back row to prevent shading. I then have basil, cilantro, and carrots for now (2 more squares to think about), so also hoping for some ideas for the best layout.

We have a ton of squirrels and chipmunks and the occasional turkey in our backyard. There are also deer in the area, but I’ve never seen them hop over the fence into our yard. Outside of caging everything, are there any measures I can take before transplanting to ward them off? I’m terrified of putting everything in the box and waking up tomorrow morning to find everything devoured.

Thanks everyone for the help. This site has been such a great resource!

Planting my first SFG: pics and a few questions Be535010
Planting my first SFG: pics and a few questions 1638c610
EastBayNP
EastBayNP

sanderson, lvanderb and mark201760 like this post

Back to top Go down

Planting my first SFG: pics and a few questions Empty Re: Planting my first SFG: pics and a few questions

Post  sanderson 5/31/2021, 4:57 pm

EastBay, Welcome to the Forum from Fresno, CA! glad you\'re here

That's a beautiful bed. Just thinking, how tall are the individual sides? It's hard to tell from a photo. If they are 7" or more, you could make two beds out of it, as you only need 6-7" of Mel's Mix.

I've had a hard time finding real composts this year. Two of my favorites are no longer being sold in CA. So, I have to ask, where did you purchase the Boogie Brew humus? The Cedar Grove in the Valley?

In regards to the trellis, I think it should span 2 squares as support for just the tomato plant. Peppers can do fine with just cages. Regarding critters, cages are helpful. I have a friend that used to live backed up to the Mr. Diablo reserve/preserve, and I watched a deer leap over the tall garden fence. Just straight up and over, no running start. You may not have noticed a deer in your backyard because you don't have a tempting garden, yet. thinking

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Planting my first SFG: pics and a few questions Empty Re: Planting my first SFG: pics and a few questions

Post  OhioGardener 5/31/2021, 7:07 pm

sanderson wrote: So, I have to ask, where did you purchase the Boogie Brew humus? 

You can order it directly from Boogie Brew with free shipping. Use coupon code GYG for a discount.

https://www.boogiebrew.net/boogie-humus

Last edited by OhioGardener on 6/1/2021, 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  EastBayNP 6/1/2021, 10:34 am

sanderson wrote:EastBay,  Welcome to the Forum from Fresno, CA! glad you\'re here

That's a beautiful bed.  Just thinking, how tall are the individual sides?  It's hard to tell from a photo.  If they are 7" or more, you could make two beds out of it, as you only need 6-7" of Mel's Mix.

I've had a hard time finding real composts this year.  Two of my favorites are no longer being sold in CA.  So, I have to ask, where did you purchase the Boogie Brew humus?  The Cedar Grove in the Valley?

In regards to the trellis, I think it should span 2 squares as support for just the tomato plant.  Peppers can do fine with just cages.  Regarding critters, cages are helpful.  I have a friend that used to live backed up to the Mr. Diablo reserve/preserve, and I watched a deer leap over the tall garden fence.  Just straight up and over, no running start.  You may not have noticed a deer in your backyard because you don't have a tempting garden, yet. thinking

Thank you for the trellis suggestions! The bed is 16 in high. The first 6 in is filled with clean sand which I had seen you suggest to many people. I found the Cedar Grove at the Home Depot in Merced. They still have a ton—my in-laws bought several bags last week for their own garden and said they were still well stocked. So maybe worth a trek up from Fresno?

OhioGardener is right, I ordered it directly from the Boogie Brew website. I had to sift it, but it was very dark and rich with an earthy scent.
EastBayNP
EastBayNP

mark201760 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/2/2021, 7:13 am

Hi EastBay.  Welcome from Atlanta, GA!

Beautiful bed...  And I'm glad to see it's away from that fence, lol!  I learned the hard way that you should have some space there so grass/weeds can't get unmanageable.   Razz
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down