Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker Toplef10Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker I22gcj10Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker Toplef10Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker I22gcj10Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker

4 posters

Go down

Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker Empty Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker

Post  deonb 4/29/2021, 12:12 pm

We've had some 90 degree weather here in the beginning of April that completely caught me off guard on the tomatoes after transplant. I had contingencies against 30, not 90...

This heat scorched a lot of my tomato plants. I have one plant particularly that is very sad but actively growing new sucklings. There is still some greens at the top that's keeping the plant alive but it's not growing new leaves. It is however growing new sucklings around the stem.

Would it work if I nurse one of the suckling to good strength then cut off the rest of the plant and have the suckling become the new stem? 

And which suckling should I do for this? I have 4 sucklings available, starting from 2 inches off the ground to about 10 inches.

Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker Tomato10
Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker Tomato11
deonb
deonb

Back to top Go down

Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker Empty Re: Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker

Post  deonb 4/29/2021, 1:13 pm

And by "Suckling" above, I mean "Sucker". 

Not enough coffee yet...
deonb
deonb

Back to top Go down

Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker Empty Re: Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker

Post  OhioGardener 4/29/2021, 1:51 pm

When suckers get a little bigger, they can be cut off and stuck in the dirt, and they will grow into a full plant.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  deonb 4/29/2021, 2:16 pm

OhioGardener wrote:When suckers get a little bigger, they can be cut off and stuck in the dirt, and they will grow into a full plant.

I already have new starts that are larger than the sucker. 

So I have to make a decision between putting in a new plant vs having the sucker grow.
deonb
deonb

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/1/2021, 10:49 pm

OhioGardener wrote:When suckers get a little bigger, they can be cut off and stuck in the dirt, and they will grow into a full plant.
Usually by then, that sucker may overtake the mother plant due to warmer soil temps.
That will prove my theory of planting warmer crops to early stunts their growth.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 5/2/2021, 12:49 pm

jimmy cee wrote:
That will prove my theory of planting warmer crops to early stunts their growth.
That coincides with my experience. I live in a warmish place. But not warm enough as far as plants are concerned. I've tried many times to start crops as early as February. But although all danger of frost past in 1936, the plants just sit in the soil and never take off. On the other hand, my most successful garden was one started in July.

On the other hand, the plants I've started in fall will grow over winter, but at half the rate as expected.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

dalepres likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  deonb 5/2/2021, 1:04 pm

markqz wrote:
jimmy cee wrote:
That coincides with my experience. I live in a warmish place. But not warm enough as far as plants are concerned.  I've tried many times to start crops as early as February. But although all danger of frost past in 1936, the plants just sit in the soil and never take off. On the other hand, my most successful garden was one started in July.

On the other hand, the plants I've started in  fall will grow over winter, but at half the rate as expected.

This is inside a 12-foot tall enclosed hoophouse with solid, AG-85 and AG-17 covers available. The plants that are 2 squares down are now growing by 10 inches vertical height per week. The soil temp hasn't dropped below 60 since transplant, and averages 70.  Nighttime temps haven't fallen below 50.

It's not the cold that killed this one, it was having 90 degree heat 2 days after transplant. The plants got hardened in the mid 60s.
deonb
deonb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum