Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Honeybees love perovskia Toplef10Honeybees love perovskia 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Honeybees love perovskia I22gcj10Honeybees love perovskia 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by plantoid Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Spring Optimism
by OhioGardener 11/22/2020, 12:45 pm

» N&C Midwest: November/December 2020
by Scorpio Rising 11/22/2020, 9:37 am

» Recommended chippers for small-scale composting?
by markqz 11/21/2020, 10:36 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Mikesgardn 11/21/2020, 8:35 pm

» Update on Marie's mom
by sanderson 11/21/2020, 6:06 pm

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by Scorpio Rising 11/19/2020, 11:22 pm

» Here's our latest email and giveaway!
by Scorpio Rising 11/19/2020, 11:20 pm

» Seeing ads again?
by plantoid 11/19/2020, 7:42 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 11/19/2020, 6:04 am

» How to: Care for your garden in the winter
by OhioGardener 11/15/2020, 11:22 am

» garlic varieties
by Scorpio Rising 11/14/2020, 6:36 pm

» heriloom seeds
by p14shooter 11/14/2020, 6:30 pm

» Growing Artichoke
by markqz 11/14/2020, 3:50 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 11/14/2020, 3:41 pm

» Adding a "trowel full" of compost? Really?
by Scorpio Rising 11/13/2020, 7:04 pm

» Guinea Pig Bedding
by plantoid 11/12/2020, 5:42 pm

» Greetings from New York
by OhioGardener 11/12/2020, 12:53 pm

» First frost of the year reference thread
by Yardslave 11/11/2020, 8:17 pm

» Space Spinach
by AtlantaTerry 11/11/2020, 8:13 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing October, November, December 2020
by Kelejan 11/11/2020, 6:13 pm

» TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer
by Scorpio Rising 11/5/2020, 9:20 pm

» Hello!
by 3kfasnacht 11/4/2020, 10:45 pm

» Garlic in Central Ohio
by Scorpio Rising 11/4/2020, 9:26 pm

» turnip/rutabaga trouble
by sanderson 11/4/2020, 4:05 pm

» FULL GARDEN TOUR (Both SFG and Non-SFG)
by sanderson 11/4/2020, 4:00 pm

» Bokashi
by sanderson 11/4/2020, 3:41 pm

» 2020 SFG in Brooks, GA
by sanderson 11/4/2020, 3:07 pm

» New Fall 2020 Newsletter is here!
by SFGHQSTAFF 11/3/2020, 1:10 pm

» New England, November, 2020
by RJARPCGP 11/1/2020, 12:33 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Honeybees love perovskia

Go down

Honeybees love perovskia Empty Honeybees love perovskia

Post  hammock gal on 7/28/2017, 2:59 pm

Just thought I'd post this pic, in case any of you may be thinking of planting things to attract honeybees. I've grown this perovskia (Russian sage) for years. Over the years, it's wandered over to the wrong side of the fence, and partially blocks the walk up to the front door, but I let it do what it wants, because the honeybees love it. There isn't a time that I look at it, that it doesn't have bees everywhere, bumblebees too, although there are none in this picture. And it smells heavenly when you rub your hands against the leaves.

Honeybees love perovskia Honeyb10
hammock gal
hammock gal

Female Posts : 381
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Zone 6a- Southwest CT

Back to top Go down

Honeybees love perovskia Empty Re: Honeybees love perovskia

Post  countrynaturals on 7/28/2017, 3:16 pm

@hammock gal wrote:Just thought I'd post this pic, in case any of you may be thinking of planting things to attract honeybees. I've grown this perovskia (Russian sage) for years. Over the years, it's wandered over to the wrong side of the fence, and partially blocks the walk up to the front door, but I let it do what it wants, because the honeybees love it. There isn't a time that I look at it, that it doesn't have bees everywhere, bumblebees too, although there are none in this picture. And it smells heavenly when you rub your hands against the leaves.

Honeybees love perovskia Honeyb10
I'm on it! Thanks for posting this. I love you
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5692
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Honeybees love perovskia Empty Re: Honeybees love perovskia

Post  Ginger Blue on 7/28/2017, 4:15 pm

Beautiful!  It may be a favorite of bees, but a little research tells me this isn't an edible sage...bummer!  I'd plant it anyway, but keep it out of my kitchen garden. What a Face
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 280
Join date : 2016-06-02
Location : New Hampshire, Zone 4

Back to top Go down

Honeybees love perovskia Empty Re: Honeybees love perovskia

Post  countrynaturals on 7/28/2017, 5:08 pm

@Ginger Blue wrote:Beautiful!  It may be a favorite of bees, but a little research tells me this isn't an edible sage...bummer!  I'd plant it anyway, but keep it out of my kitchen garden. What a Face
Really? When I looked it up, it said "great flavor" as well as pretty and fragrant.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5692
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Honeybees love perovskia Empty Re: Honeybees love perovskia

Post  Ginger Blue on 7/28/2017, 8:25 pm

Hmmmm...conflicting information...

A little further digging suggests that the flowers may be used sparingly for culinary purposes, but that the leaves are poisonous.

I think I'll stick to the more popular varieties for noshing, but plant this as an ornamental to draw pollinators. Smile

It sure is pretty!

Save
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 280
Join date : 2016-06-02
Location : New Hampshire, Zone 4

Back to top Go down

Honeybees love perovskia Empty Re: Honeybees love perovskia

Post  hammock gal on 7/29/2017, 7:26 am

Sorry for the confusion. This one is not edible. I have it planted in the flower garden. Yes, it is pretty, and so easy to grow. This particular plant is probably over 10 years old. I have it in a small flower bed near the front door, and it has come under the fence, and into the front walkway, and when you brush by it, it releases such a beautiful, sagey aroma. And if you rub your hands on its leaves, and smell them...it's amazing. And as mentioned, honeybees and bumblebees just love it. And the color is so beautiful. People always think it's lavender. There are different varieties, this one gets about 3-4 ft tall, but I planted some in the back yard near the SFG, that are a smaller variety. Being perennials, it takes them a few years to really get going, but they are free from any diseases that I know of, and couldn't be simpler to grow. Some times there are so many bees on it, the whole plant just hummmmms as you walk by. Very Happy
hammock gal
hammock gal

Female Posts : 381
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Zone 6a- Southwest CT

Back to top Go down

Honeybees love perovskia Empty Re: Honeybees love perovskia

Post  countrynaturals on 7/29/2017, 10:26 am

@hammock gal wrote:Sorry for the confusion. This one is not edible. I have it planted in the flower garden. Yes, it is pretty, and so easy to grow. This particular plant is probably over 10 years old. I have it in a small flower bed near the front door, and it has come under the fence, and into the front walkway, and when you brush by it, it releases such a beautiful, sagey aroma. And if you rub your hands on its leaves, and smell them...it's amazing. And as mentioned, honeybees and bumblebees just love it. And the color is so beautiful. People always think it's lavender. There are different varieties, this one gets about 3-4 ft tall, but I planted some in the back yard near the SFG, that are a smaller variety. Being perennials, it takes them a few years to really get going, but they are free from any diseases that I know of, and couldn't be simpler to grow. Some times there are so many bees on it, the whole plant just hummmmms as you walk by. Very Happy
Thanks for the info, HG. I marked my spreadsheet and will get this for the bee garden. Everything else there is annual, so a nice perennial will be welcome.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5692
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Honeybees love perovskia Empty Re: Honeybees love perovskia

Post  sanderson on 7/29/2017, 8:32 pm

+1 This one is about 19 years old and has been divided.  The hummingbirds also like it. Another ornamental is pineapple sage. Both are perennial in my area. Honeybees love perovskia 10-03-10

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 19206
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 72
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Honeybees love perovskia Empty Re: Honeybees love perovskia

Post  Abiqua Ike on 7/29/2017, 9:33 pm

One of my favorite things about Perovskia is the way the white stems show off in early winter.
Abiqua Ike
Abiqua Ike

Male Posts : 34
Join date : 2017-07-27
Age : 71
Location : Silverton, OR (USDA 8) 1,000' elevation

Back to top Go down

Honeybees love perovskia Empty Re: Honeybees love perovskia

Post  hammock gal on 7/30/2017, 8:10 am

@sanderson wrote:+1 This one is about 19 years old and has been divided.  The hummingbirds also like it.  Another ornamental is pineapple sage.  Both are perennial in my area. Honeybees love perovskia 10-03-10
Nineteen!? Wow, just goes to show that this is a plant that seems to have few if any disease/pest problems, and is easy to grow. What a beautiful deep purple yours is. I used to struggle to grow plants that I wanted to have in my garden, but sometimes they were fussy, or just downright refused to grow. As I've gotten older, I've veered off toward those that are lovely, and cooperative. Very Happy Perovskia is definitely one of those. I've had some perennials that seem to just disappear after so many years. Not perovskia. Your nineteen year old lets me know that I don't have to worry about mine any time soon. Where you have it, just in front of a window must give you a good view of the hummingbirds.
hammock gal
hammock gal

Female Posts : 381
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Zone 6a- Southwest CT

Back to top Go down

Honeybees love perovskia Empty Re: Honeybees love perovskia

Post  hammock gal on 7/30/2017, 8:12 am

@Abiqua Ike wrote:One of my favorite things about Perovskia is the way the white stems show off in early winter.
Yes, and even those sticks are fragrant! It's such a nice plant. Very Happy
hammock gal
hammock gal

Female Posts : 381
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Zone 6a- Southwest CT

Back to top Go down

Honeybees love perovskia Empty Re: Honeybees love perovskia

Post  sanderson on 7/30/2017, 3:29 pm

Mine. Never fertilized, stuck in miserable partial hard pan.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 19206
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 72
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Honeybees love perovskia Empty Re: Honeybees love perovskia

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum