Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to Grow through Very Hot Summers Toplef10What to Grow through Very Hot Summers 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers I22gcj10What to Grow through Very Hot Summers 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to Grow through Very Hot Summers Toplef10What to Grow through Very Hot Summers 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers I22gcj10What to Grow through Very Hot Summers 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers

+9
CapeCoddess
newbeone
GloriaG
sanderson
countrynaturals
yolos
Scorpio Rising
RC3291
has55
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers Empty What to Grow through Very Hot Summers

Post  has55 6/21/2017, 7:09 pm

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers Empty Re: What to Grow through Very Hot Summers

Post  RC3291 6/21/2017, 7:28 pm

Cactus, lol. I planted watermelon and honeydews in my raised bed. Replanted more squash,zucchini after my SVB encounter and bush cucumbers. Not that I know what I'm doing.
RC3291
RC3291

Male Posts : 121

Back to top Go down

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers Empty Re: What to Grow through Very Hot Summers

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/21/2017, 8:38 pm

It is all trial and error, honestly!  What works this year may not work next year!  Keep on truckin'! 

Oh, and keep notes: weather, successes and failures.....really important!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/21/2017, 10:36 pm

Cowpeas.  Within the last week I planted Lady Cowpeas, White Acre Cowpeas, and Pinkeye Purple Hull Cowpeas.  Last night I ate the last of the Lady Cowpeas we grew last year, cooked and froze.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/21/2017, 11:40 pm

Armenian cucumbers. Mine made it all the way through the summer last year. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/22/2017, 3:22 am

Armenian and Muncher cucumbers. Watermelons and cantaloupes. Corn, sorghum and okra. Tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers, and eggplants. Sweet potatoes, squash, New Zealand spinach and Amaranth.

Check out the local Farmer Markets for successful varieties in your area. Use shade cloth and mulch. Most of the hot areas are in the south, spanning across the country, and up the Pacific States in inland areas. So, most varieties will be need to be short day, exposed to intensive overhead sun. Exception are the inland areas of the Pacific which cover short to medium to long day varieties.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/22/2017, 12:43 pm

sanderson wrote:Armenian and Muncher cucumbers.  Watermelons and cantaloupes.  Corn, sorghum and okra.  Tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers, and eggplants.  Sweet potatoes, squash, New Zealand spinach and Amaranth.

Check out the local Farmer Markets for successful varieties in your area.  Use shade cloth and mulch.  Most of the hot areas are in the south, spanning across the country, and up the Pacific States in inland areas.  So, most varieties will be need to be short day, exposed to intensive overhead sun.  Exception are the inland areas of the Pacific which cover short to medium to long day varieties.
I lost all of my tomatoes, peppers, melons, lemon cukes, squash, & zucchini to the heat last year, but of all things, my curly dwarf kale survived and fed us all winter. Go figure. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/22/2017, 2:15 pm

How are they doing this summer?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/22/2017, 3:15 pm

Kale, chard, carrots, & asparagus beans are doing fine in the Salad Bar. Peppers and tomatoes are doing okay in the BTE, which is mostly shaded by the redwoods and always a few degrees cooler for the same reason. I accidentally did something right by putting the more sensitive plants closer to the big trees and the corn, asparagus, & artichokes in the hotter, sunnier area. So far, so good. I also have tepary beans and limas out there still doing well. The squashes and melons are in the middle and still doing well, too. We've already had a zucchini and a small cuke from that area. Fingers crossed all those wood chips will insulate everything from the excessive heat. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers Empty What to grow during very hot summers

Post  GloriaG 6/23/2017, 1:35 am

Here in the Dallas area it's beginning to get hot. 

I just finished picking the last of the spring lettuce. Cukes are doing well in the shade.  Green beans and pole beans are both producing nicely. I'll get another picking or two from them.  I haven't pulled the onions, garlic and shallots yet.  Tomatoes are about finished.  They have more flowers but won't sett fruit in the heat.

For the summer I have Egg Plant, Red Malabar spinach, New Zealand spinach, Salad Burnett, Swiss Chard, melons, squash, sweet potatoes, okra and herbs.  A few Blackberries.  Peaches, Goji berries and apples are maturing. The Pomegranates and Passion Fruit haven't started to fruit yet.

In another week I'll plant the fall tomatoes and start other fall crops like peppers and winter squash.
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/23/2017, 3:03 am

Gloria, Our summer temps are similar. Right now we are in a 100-109*F heat wave. No tomatoes are setting fruit in this heat, but they will take off again and produce well into the fall. Are your tomato plants in good shape other than no fruit right now? I'm thinking that you should let them just continue instead of starting all over. ?? What say other Texans??

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers Empty What to grow during very hot summers

Post  GloriaG 6/23/2017, 10:59 am

Hi Sanderson,

It's very common here to rip out spring tomatoes and replace with new ones for fall. - The plants are more vigorous so you get better production, less blight, and the plants are less "leggy" going into cooler weather so easier to protect.

I generally pick tomatoes through Christmas.  Last year we had tomatoes all winter and cantaloupes until January.

I think every climate is different, and every year presents it's own challenges.  In the eight years I've been doing this, I think I've seen eight different weather patterns!!!

I've tried keeping spring tomatoes for fall, I've overwintered tomatoes, I've cut them back and let them re-sprout from the root and I've re-planted for the fall.  Of all those options, re-planting for the fall has been most successful.  I'm looking for production so I'd rather spend a few dollars for seed than loose the opportunity to have a good fall crop.  Wink
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/23/2017, 11:50 am

GloriaG wrote:I've tried keeping spring tomatoes for fall, I've overwintered tomatoes, I've cut them back and let them re-sprout from the root and I've re-planted for the fall.  Of all those options, re-planting for the fall has been most successful.  I'm looking for production so I'd rather spend a few dollars for seed than loose the opportunity to have a good fall crop.  Wink
I've done all of these too, with no success. I think I'll try your idea of just starting over for fall and see how that works. thanks
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/23/2017, 11:53 am

GloriaG wrote:I just finished picking the last of the spring lettuce. 
I brought my lettuce inside last week. It's in a southern window with plenty of light but no sun. So far it's doing okay. If this heat wave ever leaves, I'll start taking the lettuce out in the morning for some real sun (if the temps ever drop below 90 again Mad )
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers Empty RE: What to Grow through Very Hot Summers

Post  newbeone 6/23/2017, 1:15 pm

Yes I'll have to agree with Gloria my tomato plants are purty beat up so I will start with new come fall but for tomatoes that have done well for me I take suckers and just stick them in wet mix and let them grow in the shade till it's time to plant, I have three growing so far.
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/23/2017, 1:38 pm

Gloria, Thank you for the explanation. You know what works best for you.

Newbeone, The sucker idea for fall tomatoes sounds good.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/23/2017, 2:39 pm

newbeone wrote: for tomatoes that have done well for me I take suckers and just stick them in wet mix and let them grow in the shade till it's time to plant, I have three growing so far.

I do that, too.  'Cept I stick them in the MM in the SFG. They do very well, even up north here.

Last edited by CapeCoddess on 6/23/2017, 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 6/23/2017, 3:04 pm

We pretty much rest our garden boxes during the heat of summer and start again in fall.  Bout all we can grow in the heat is most any kind of pepper from bell to cayenne and jalapeno.  The only veggie that does good all summer is yard long beans.  They continue growing even when its too stinking hot to pick them cept very early or after dark.  I had to come back and edit cause I forgot to mention okra it loves the heat and will bare till the frost gets it sometimes long into the winter
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/23/2017, 5:08 pm

Cajun Cappy wrote:The only veggie that does good all summer is yard long beans.  They continue growing even when its too stinking hot to pick them cept very early or after dark. 
My asparagus beans (similar to yard long) are weathering the heat very well so far. Fingers crossed. They're one of our faves. We'd be thrilled if they'd produce through the summer. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/24/2017, 12:28 pm

Bean update: asparagus beans are thriving and producing, even in 113 degree heat. cheers Wax beans are hanging in there. Purple beans are starting to fail. It could be that the purple beans are just old and finished however, so I may give them another chance, but asparagus beans are the clear winner.  sunny
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/24/2017, 12:52 pm

My eggplants are in a protected area of the BTE, but I'm still amazed that they not only survived this heat, but one of them actually produced a blossom in our 109-113 degree heat.  cheers

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers Eggpla10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/24/2017, 3:49 pm

Pretty eggplant plant! How do the asparagus beans taste compared to KY Wonder of Blue Lakes?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/24/2017, 4:04 pm

sanderson wrote:Pretty eggplant plant!  How do the asparagus beans taste compared to KY Wonder of Blue Lakes?
My KY Wonder failed. These are thriving. I will try the others again, but these are delicious and hardy. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/25/2017, 12:32 pm

My Lima beans are thriving, even after 9 days of record-breaking heat. They are still young and not producing blossoms yet, but it's still very encouraging. (These are in my BTE and partially protected from the sun, but they're still doing better than other legumes in that same area.)
What to Grow through Very Hot Summers Limas10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysHotinFL 6/25/2017, 8:36 pm

Came here for Okra, saw it in several posts, was not disappointed. Since I'm in (alwayshot)FL I'm pretty sure it'll produce for years and become a tree Wink . Also winners in the heat are my cherry tomatoes and cukes. Not to mention my perennial avocados and mangos Smile 

I'll have to try the asparagus beans as my Kentucky wonder aren't looking so hot! Have had a lot of pests and disease though.
AlwaysHotinFL
AlwaysHotinFL

Male Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next