Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks Toplef10Potatoes - Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks I22gcj10Potatoes - Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks Toplef10Potatoes - Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks I22gcj10Potatoes - Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks

4 posters

Go down

Potatoes - Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks Empty Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks

Post  ChasingAnnie 5/14/2017, 5:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm going to try planting jicama (first time ever) and sweet potatoes.  I figured raised beds dedicated to these root crops might be the way to go. Do any of you have any 
experience or advice? How deep should I make the beds (I figure these should probably be a little deeper?), any modifications to Mel's Mix, advice on spacing or just general advice? I read that sweet potatoes like "sandy soil" so I was thinking of adding a little sand...but I don't know. I'm also torn about how deep to make my bed and how to space everything. I bought heirloom sweet potato slips. They are a combination of purple sweet potatoes, pink sweet potatoes, and Jersey sweet potatoes. I'm crossing my fingers that things go well.

Also, I have noticed these raised bed corner blocks at Home Depot: 
Potatoes - Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks Raised10
They are under $3 bucks a pop and seem like a good deal.  Have any of you tried them? 

TIA!
ChasingAnnie
ChasingAnnie

Female Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks Empty Re: Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks

Post  yolos 5/14/2017, 11:36 pm

Potatoes - Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks Hd_wal11
I made one bed last year using the blocks.  They were fairly easy to set up unless you have a very uneven site and then it was a little challenging to get all level.  But I think they look real nice and with two stacked high it is just right for sweet potatoes.  They take a 2" x 6" ( 1.75 x 5.5) board so two stacked high give you 11 inch height.  See my thread assembling this bed.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t20590-home-depot-planter-wall-block?highlight=wall+block
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks Empty Re: Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks

Post  ChasingAnnie 5/15/2017, 12:02 am

Yalos- that looks amazing! Do you think I could get away without the center piece across? I want to work on this project now! Thanks for sharing.
ChasingAnnie
ChasingAnnie

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/15/2017, 12:09 am

ChasingAnnie wrote:Yalos- that looks amazing! Do you think I could get away without the center piece across? I want to work on this project now! Thanks for sharing.
I think it all depends on the length of the bed.  I made my bed to fit between the columns in the existing fence so it had to be 6 feet long.  I think I read somewhere that the max length you should make it without a center piece is 4 feet long.  But I am not so sure that I actually read that.   thinking

I just looked at the home depot description of the blocks.  It appears as though the blocks are placed about every 4 feet along the length.  If it is any longer than 4 feet, then another block is used in the middle.  It looks like you do not need the cross piece of wood but maybe the extra block in the middle of the sides.  thinking

Here is a copy of the installation instructions.  They do not mention the lenght of the bed but every picture seems to be 4 foot lengths between blocks.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/c1/c1f866c9-434d-46ed-90a7-efaf896e709e.pdf

There is a video at the Home Depot site showing someone installing the bed.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oldcastle-8-in-x-8-in-x-6-in-Tan-Brown-Planter-Wall-Block-16202336/206501693

Ok, final answer.  I looked thru the installation instructions again and I did see one bed that was 6 feet long and it did not have an extra block or cross piece in the center of the long side.  So I guess it all depends on how long/wide you make the bed.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasingAnnie 5/15/2017, 12:46 am

Thank you Yalos. I was thinking of making it 8ft long, cut into 2- 4ff. pieces with a block in the middle. I just wasn't sure about the wooden piece across the middle. .
ChasingAnnie
ChasingAnnie

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/15/2017, 11:41 am

Annie, please keep us updated on how your 8 ft bed does if you decide not to put a block in the middle.  I'd really like to know how far we can take them.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/15/2017, 4:27 pm

My thought on a 4' x 8' bed with 6 blocks and no middle board is that it would work. There are holes in the middle of each block where a 2' piece of rebar could be driven, holding the sides in place. You would only need three 2" x 8" of boards, each cut in half, 6 blocks and 6 pieces of the fattest pieces of rebar that actually fit into the holes. Test a piece of rebar in the block while you are at the store.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasingAnnie 5/15/2017, 4:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Do any of you have words of wisdom from growing jicama and sweet potatoes?
ChasingAnnie
ChasingAnnie

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/15/2017, 4:37 pm

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/15/2017, 6:50 pm

Sweet potatoes like it hot and sunny and the days to harvest is long depending on what variety you are growing.  If you are growing vinning sweet potatoes and you do not have enough room, they can be easily trellised.  These are Beauregard Sweet Potatoes.
Potatoes - Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks Sweet_13

This is what sweet potatoes look like growing under the soil.  So they do need some depth to produce good size spuds.  If they do not have enough depth to grow in, then they will sometimes push up out of the ground.  If that happens, you can just cover them with straw or mulch or soil.
Potatoes - Jicama, Sweet Potatoes, and Raised Bed Blocks Sweet_14

Here are a few previous threads on Sweet Potatoes.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t2619-sweet-potato-question?highlight=sweet+potato

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t20001-sweet-potatoes?highlight=sweet+potato
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down