Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
roots - Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies. Toplef10roots - Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

roots - Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies. I22gcj10roots - Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
roots - Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies. Toplef10roots - Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

roots - Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies. I22gcj10roots - Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 6:17 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies.

+3
Kelejan
walshevak
MrBooker
7 posters

Go down

roots - Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies. Empty Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies.

Post  MrBooker 2/23/2017, 7:39 am

Jimmy Cee posted a topic about 2 1/2 years ago regarding tree roots. I only wished I'd seen that post before I built all of my raised beds. Last spring, I built three 4x4's and five 4x8 beds and had a wonderful growing season.

Last week as I was preparing my beds for planting, I found three of my beds totally taken over by tree roots and I'm sure the rest of my beds will be taken over this spring if I don't get the beds raised off the ground ASAP.

There's no way you can just pull them out. Their so massive and will just keep coming back and will devour all the nutrients and moisture from your plants.

My roots are coming from a Maple tree about 40 feet away from my beds. Last week, before I saw Jimmy Cee's post, I put together in new cedar 4x8 bed. Today, I'll have to dismantle it and put 4x4's down with 3/4 ins plywood and re-frame it so it will be off the ground.

If anyone is planning on building your beds on the ground, please look at Jimmy Cee's post.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t18651-roots-information.

Last edited by sanderson on 2/23/2017, 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : reposition link)
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

roots - Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies. Empty Re: Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies.

Post  walshevak 2/24/2017, 7:27 am

Yep, tree and shrub roots just love Mels Mix

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

roots - Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies. Empty Re: Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies.

Post  MrBooker 2/25/2017, 6:11 am

We just finished rebuilding two of my 4x4's to get them off the ground to avoid more root problems and that's just the beginning. I still have four 4x8's to do and that's a LOT of work.

Sure I'd seen Jimmy Cee's post on "Tree roots" before I built on the ground.

roots - Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies. 100_3210
roots - Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies. 100_3211
roots - Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies. 100_3212
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/25/2017, 10:49 am

Good work, Mr. Booker. 

There are things that I wished I could have done in the beginning if I had know about it. Lucky for me that that after reading the first edition of Mel's book, I went on to the Internet and found that I did not have to dig up the ground.

At least, when I restart this season, I can put another section on top of my old existing beds to make it easier for me.  Previously I had changed from 4x4s to 3x6 beds so that I could reached the middle of the beds more easily.

As my old beds rot down, then I will replace with higher beds or Table Tops. A bit at a time.  Always something new to do.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 2/25/2017, 11:01 am

Looking good Mr B.
I see you went with Landscape ties and plywood on top of weed cloth.

For the newbies (and me):
What size holes did you drill in the plywood?
Did you use any plastic on top of the ply?
What is that under the one bed on the right? Is it mulch?

ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1314

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 2/25/2017, 11:25 am

ralitaco wrote:Looking good Mr B.
I see you went with Landscape ties and plywood on top of weed cloth.

For the newbies (and me):
What size holes did you drill in the plywood?
Did you use any plastic on top of the ply?
What is that under the one bed on the right? Is it mulch?

I drilled 3/8 ins holes.  If I find that's to small, I can dig down and drill bigger. I figured too small is better than too big.

No plastic on the plywood.  Just weed barrier.

That's mulch under the bed on the right. I later thought about the roots may be able to grow up through the mulch and up into the drainage holes. I'm going to remove the mulch and use pallet wood to frame the bottom in to keep the critters and snakes out.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 2/25/2017, 11:42 am

Thanks MrB.
Is that Marine Grade Plywood?

I thought that was mulch. FWIW, I think removing it is a good idea, not only to take away a path for the tree roots, but also to allow air under the plywood to help it dry out some.
You say you are going to close in the bottom with pallet wood, but I am wondering if you need to put a vent on each side or a few holes on each side instead of completely sealing up the bottom. 1/4" hardware cloth could be used for the vent or stapled behind some large holes to keep out critters.
Since I have no experience with a setup of this kind, my thoughts are just that, my thoughts. I am thinking houses with crawl spaces always have vents. I am guessing it has to do with moisture.

ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1314

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 2/25/2017, 11:55 am

ralitaco wrote:Thanks MrB.
Is that Marine Grade Plywood?

I thought that was mulch. FWIW, I think removing it is a good idea, not only to take away a path for the tree roots, but also to allow air under the plywood to help it dry out some.
You say you are going to close in the bottom with pallet wood, but I am wondering if you need to put a vent on each side or a few holes on each side instead of completely sealing up the bottom. 1/4" hardware cloth could be used for the vent or stapled behind some large holes to keep out critters.
Since I have no experience with a setup of this kind, my thoughts are just that, my thoughts. I am thinking houses with crawl spaces always have vents. I am guessing it has to do with moisture.  

Thanks Ralitaco. My wife just came up with the idea of putting green construction fence around the bottom. Your correct about the air flow which I didn't think of. Thanks.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/25/2017, 4:25 pm

Short on time but I wanted to "Like" your beds, Mr. B. I think air flow is important. Jimmy, Camp and I all have air flow, one way or another. I currently have 3/8" holes, one per square, one in each of the 4 corners of the box. Plus weed fabric to keep the mix in.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/13/2018, 1:59 pm

Bumping this thread for Newbies building their first raised bed(s). I found shrub, rose and tree roots invading my boxes a year out from building the beds. Sad

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/13/2018, 4:26 pm

And let's not forget privet. Danged thing was removed about 8 years ago & the roots would STILL like to take over.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/13/2018, 9:49 pm

Yep

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 2/19/2018, 11:38 am

Don't forget about compost piles. I had a finished pile under a tarp that was removed from the bin and left aside for future use. The neighbors pepper tree and black walnut tree roots found their way to the pile and had a feast. The walnut tree also invaded the nearest box and hijacked my tomato plant's mix. If it's not the pests from above- it's the roots that creep in unseen!
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/19/2018, 6:23 pm

Yardslave wrote:Don't forget about compost piles. I had a finished pile under a tarp that was removed from the bin and left aside for future use. The neighbors pepper tree and black walnut tree roots found their way to the pile and had a feast. The walnut tree also invaded the nearest box and hijacked my tomato plant's mix. If it's not the pests from above- it's the roots that creep in unseen!
+1

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down