Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? Toplef10Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? I22gcj10Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? Toplef10Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? I22gcj10Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box?

+6
AtlantaMarie
yolos
trolleydriver
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
pforrester1
10 posters

Go down

Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? Empty Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box?

Post  pforrester1 10/25/2016, 8:50 pm

I am starting year 3 of SFG. Ihave a new 10 X 4' box. Is there a reason it is recommended to mix it on a tarp and shovel it in?
pforrester1
pforrester1

Back to top Go down

Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? Empty Re: Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box?

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/25/2016, 9:24 pm

I assume it is ease and complete mixing of the components.  It is work any way you do it!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? Empty Re: Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box?

Post  sanderson 10/25/2016, 10:33 pm

Forrester, Welcome to the Forum from Fresno! glad you\'re here One problem I see is that with all the mixing (and it should be thoroughly mixed) is that the trowel/shovel could tear the weed fabric. ?? Breaking up the mixing into small units should ensure that everything is mixed AND watered well.

Photos of your existing beds?? Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 10/25/2016, 11:16 pm

I think it will be difficult to get a consistent mix by doing it right in the box. It will be much easier to get the correct volumes of the components by mixing smaller batches outside the box and making sure they are thoroughly mixed together before putting the MM into the box. 

I start by mixing up five different types of compost. Then I use a 5 gallon bucket to measure out equal parts of compost, vermiculite and peat moss by volume (e.g., it may be 2 or more buckets of each depending on how much I want to mix in each batch). I mix the materials on a tarp, then I drag the tarp over to the box and dump it right into the box directly from the tarp. I then make sure the batch is well watered before adding the next batch to the box.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/25/2016, 11:20 pm

trolleydriver wrote:I think it will be difficult to get a consistent mix by doing it right in the box. It will be much easier to get the correct volumes of the components by mixing smaller batches outside the box and making sure they are thoroughly mixed together before putting the MM into the box. 

I start by mixing up five different types of compost. Then I use a 5 gallon bucket to measure out equal parts of compost, vermiculite and peat moss by volume (e.g., it may be 2 or more buckets of each depending on how much I want to mix in each batch). I mix the materials on a tarp, then I drag the tarp over to the box and dump it right into the box directly from the tarp. I then make sure the batch is well watered before adding the next batch to the box.
That is exactly what I do.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 10/26/2016, 12:13 am

I usually mix small amounts in a wheel barrow and then just dump the wheel barrow directly in the bed.  And then keep mixing small amounts until I fill the bed.

But I just made a new 4 x 8 foot bed and I am thinking about mixing everything directly in the bed.  It will not have any weed fabric or cardboard in the bottom so I won't have a problem with that.  I plan to empty all my bags and trash cans full of stuff I have acquired over the years into that bed and see what happens.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 10/26/2016, 7:39 am

Hi PForrester. Welcome from Atlanta, GA! Glad you've joined us.

Like Yolos, I mix mine (well.... DH mixes it.... But you know what I mean, lol) in a wheelbarrow and dump it in. Just easier for us. We've also got fears of ripping our weed fabric.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 10/26/2016, 9:01 am

pforrestor ... A warm welcome from Ottawa, Canada.   Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? Canadian-flag-small

Thanks for asking a very appropriate question concerning MM. It's great to see new people joining the forum and jumping into the discussion. As you can see, there are many wonderful people on the forum who are willing to share their knowledge and experience with others. We look forward to hearing and seeing (photos) more about your SFG journey. 

Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? Welcome_signboard_by_hano22-d9p0rjh
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 10/26/2016, 9:29 am

Hi PForrestor!

All of my beds have been mixed by hand -- using my hands/arms, no trowel or shovel used. It's a very dirty process...don't wear a white shirt. blush
I filled the beds in thirds so that each 2" level was thoroughly mixed before I added the ingredients for the next. The order peat, vermiculite, composts seemed to work best -- each sprinkled spread in an even-ish layer on top of the other before mixing. The vermiculite liked the come to the top, yet was hard to stir up off the bottom, so middle placement seemed best. BUT - I used 8" tall boards for my 4x8' beds - and even then I had to be careful mixing the last layer. If I had used the recommended 6" boards, much like not being able to fill your blender to the top, stirring that last part would have resulted in losing MM over the sides. I think that there not being room for mixing is why the instructions use a tarp.

I figure being in San Diego you'll be planting something soon? I'm in central Pennsylvania, and just had the first freeze, so I'm mostly done with the 'fun' gardening. Not that I don't appreciate my kale, but I'm looking forward to reading posts by people who are actively gardening while I hibernate and plan for spring.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/26/2016, 12:42 pm

happy hi pforrester1!
I find it easiest to use the tarp.  Dump everything into the center, pull corner to corner, back and forth spraying with water now and then, and watch it roll and mix.  Very satisfying.  Laughing   No tools needed.

Do you have any photos of your SFG that you could share with us?  We love photos!
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? Empty Garden Pics

Post  pforrester1 10/26/2016, 3:17 pm

I can't post a picture link for 7 days. But thanks everyone for your advice. Now if I can just get the peat wet!

Last edited by pforrester1 on 10/26/2016, 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add note)
pforrester1
pforrester1

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/26/2016, 6:15 pm

glad you\'re here  pforrester1  happy hi 
from Kelejan :canada: in British Columbia, Canada.

Mix your MM any way you want. Very Happy  We will only give our opinion of what works for us.

We look forward to seeing your results.

We here in Canada are now looking ahead to our longer winters while we read of your activities and look at your pictures of green stuff and growing veggies etc.  We need pictures of green to feed our starving souls.  OK, a bit dramatic but you get the picture.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 10/27/2016, 11:50 am

I find it difficult to "mix the Mix" on a tarp, at least for more than two cubic feet at a time.

So far, my best solution has been to use five-gallon buckets to measure out 1/3 each of the three ingredients (combining the 5+ composts first), dump into a wheelbarrow, mix with a LARGE trowel, dump into the bed.  I then smooth it out a bit and water.  The process is repeated a couple of more times, until the bed is full and thoroughly soaked.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? Empty 5 gallon buckets

Post  pforrester1 10/30/2016, 11:01 am

@Donnainzone5: I just filled my new raised garden with MM and I used the 5 gallon bucket method..tarp method, plus shovel, plus hand to mix the mix.I mixed it all dry and wet it once in the box. 

In my 1st box (8X4) I did not do it right with authentic MM. I tried but......I bought a truck load of potting soil from a compost outfit. Added some pumice and fine/medium vermiculite from Home Depot (all I could find) (fine compared to the coarse from Uline) and some other compost. It has produced lots of kale and swiss chard and a few other crops but it DID NOT STAY HYDRATED. I have added and filled in with worm castings and other composts, including Happy Frog and cow manure. But now I really want to add the coarse vermiculite along with more compost to the squares. there are only two empty squares, presently. Here in San Diego county what is planted is kind of perennial Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? IMG_3524.jpg Kale, Swiss Chard, oregano, fennel....

Here is my new SFG Box. Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? IMG_3526.jpg Both are 18" high. this one is 10X4. i filled the first foot with junky dirt from around my yard and put a layer of cardboard down before adding MM.

I have now filled it with authentic MM and planted 6 broccoli and 6 cauliflower. Should I dig and transplant the kale and 
Swiss Chard from my 1st box to the new garden box? Or just try to dig in more compost and vermiculite around existing plants?
pforrester1
pforrester1

Back to top Go down

Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? Empty Pictures didn't load

Post  pforrester1 10/30/2016, 4:57 pm

My new SFG
Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? Img_3517

And the 1st one.
Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? Img_3520

Last edited by trolleydriver on 11/2/2016, 11:10 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Cropped and rotated the photos.)
pforrester1
pforrester1

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/30/2016, 5:28 pm

Beautiful!  Makes me want to plant something.

I've always wondered why that sideways thing happens sometimes...
thinking

Why not wait to see how you do with the MM before you transplant those healthy looking veggies? The water issue may be climate related in which case shade cloths and the like, along with lots of mulch,  are helpful.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/30/2016, 7:00 pm

Nice!  I think it looks great!  Mix of sun and shade.  You will learn a lot.  Keep notes about what works, when, etc.  

Looking good!  Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? 3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? Empty Thanks! Trolley

Post  pforrester1 10/30/2016, 8:46 pm

How did you do that? I looked and looked for a way to rotate them.... Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? 3170584802
pforrester1
pforrester1

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 10/30/2016, 8:51 pm

pforrester1 wrote:How did you do that? I looked and looked for a way to rotate them.... Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box? 3170584802
I saved your photos to my desktop then brought them into Picasa. In Picasa I cropped them and exported them back to the desktop.  Finally I edited your post and imported them back into your post using the forum facility for posting photos.  This time it did not rotate them. There may be an easier way.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/31/2016, 11:36 am

Look at you getting all Moderater-y, TD.  okay
We are very lucky to have you!
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down