Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! Toplef10N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! I22gcj10N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! Toplef10N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! I22gcj10N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest: October Happenings!

+5
trolleydriver
Robbomb116
landarch
llama momma
Scorpio Rising
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! Empty N&C Midwest: October Happenings!

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/1/2016, 7:30 pm

Here , it has been a disappointing fall with the only thing really making me feel decent is the radishes!  Granted, I was picky, I didn't want chard or kale, just spinach and lettuces. So, out of 64 cells in my starter box, only one...1. Yes, one, actually germinated.  Black Seeded Simpson.  The workhorse of the lettuces.  Nothing else is up.  I even stuck some chard and mache and corn salad in last weekend to see if I could get some leaves.  Wah.

Will stick some of these Daikon seeds out tomorrow.  And my BSS.  Jeesh.  

My maters are sort of still going.  The paste type unknown is still producing, so a probable 4th Easy and Marvelous Crock pot marinara is on the calendar....Peppers still going.  Need to get out there tomorrow and pull some.

Melons done.  

Waiting for my garlic from Pinetree.  N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! 3170584802

What is your plan for October?  I have very little, OK, zero experience, with a fall garden.  Last year, my first one back, I had to rake everything under, too late of a start.

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 10/1/2016, 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Stuff)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! Empty Re: N&C Midwest: October Happenings!

Post  llama momma 10/2/2016, 11:10 am

16 broccs in this bed and 13 more in other boxes.  There are many squares of tiny lettuce, no luck with spinach.  The spinach was from an older seed packet. Several squares of peas are up, but that's an experiment.   Received garlic in the mail and will add that to garlic I held back from harvest.  Haven't planted those yet.  Had teenage helpers here yesterday making about 70 feet of new perennial flower beds for next year.  Those were made all by no till.  Wet cardboard base over grass, then 5 repeated layers using hay, llama manure, and old leaves about 2 feet high.  Hopefully will result this Spring in a chocolate cake- like texture for new flowers.  The manure was loaded with worms, I was all smiles watching helpful teenagers do all the awesome work!

N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! Untitl10
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/2/2016, 8:03 pm

Nice, LM!  I have never grown broccoli, but I love it.  How long does it take to mature? Does it taste exponentially better than store bought?  Organic broccoli is almost unheard of!

I need to get out there maybe tomorrow and harvest some maters.  And plant the Daikons, and the black seeded Simpson that came up.  I have brought my starter box in for a few nights, and some stuff is germinating, so that is a good thing.  Seeds need heat to germinate unless they are roots, in my experience.  

On a fun note;  my German Hardy garlic (hardneck) came yesterday from Pinetree (superseeds)!!!!!!  

And I have a old bale of hay that has been waiting in my driveway.  I am gonna chew up the compost pile, supplement the SFG, and layer straw and coffee grounds for some  hopefully great composting!  My friends have cows, I am going to ask them for some cow poo.....it will catalize that straw I am thinking....I know they have plenty!  LOL:lol!:

Super excited to actually have garlic next year.  Should I plant it where I need access, or in the middle of the 4x4, or in the old window boxes?  Spacing?  Remind me!bounce
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/2/2016, 9:24 pm

OK Midwesterners!  I am gonna post the link to the Home Depot gardeners club; because we're so diverse, I think it is better if you make your choices on your own.  We are large in area.  

Here it is, credit to Atlanta Marie. Thanks!  

http://gardenclub.homedepot.com/regional-gardening-tips/

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 10/2/2016, 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : stupid typo auto correct....)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/3/2016, 12:35 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:SR  -  Nice, LM!  I have never grown broccoli, but I love it.  How long does it take to mature? Does it taste exponentially better than store bought? 

LM  -  Best I can tell you is I am able to harvest it before the coldest central Ohio weather hits.  And the taste? I'd say it is as good as the best you've ever had from the store, to even better and fresher tasting.  That's why I have 29 heads of it.

SR  - Super excited to actually have garlic next year.  Should I plant it where I need access, or in the middle of the 4x4, or in the old window boxes?  Spacing?  Remind me!bounce

LM  - Regarding planting, the middle of the box works fine for me since it will sit there from this Autumn to next June.  I've planted along the edge too, just have to be a little careful in my case with removing and returning the cage tops.  Even so a couple bent leaves doesn't seem to do terrible harm. Those could be bent and even torn in a few good windy, hail, or heavy rain storms too. With good healthy leaf growth I see no big deal. You can always protect a bed with a cage and a tarp ahead of time if needed.  
There is some disagreement with spacing the bulbs.  I put 4 to a square and am very happy with the results.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/3/2016, 12:45 pm

Scorpio R.  ( see above where I answered your questions) I should add that I do spray with bT for worms and I cover the plants with bridal tulle. In my case, those worms will really do a number on the plants without some help.  Mel recommends just picking off the worms, well I did that the first year and could not keep up with it.  bT is suppose to be a harmless bacterial killer, bacillus Thuringiensis (spelling?) but like Everything, I suppose there is controversy using it.  I figure, my broccoli, my rules. Still will always love Mel! My understanding is this is a naturally occurring bacteria so I insist on calling it organic.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/3/2016, 7:19 pm

llama momma wrote:Scorpio R.  ( see above where I answered your questions) I should add that I do spray with bT for worms and I cover the plants with bridal tulle. In my case, those worms will really do a number on the plants without some help.  Mel recommends just picking off the worms, well I did that the first year and could not keep up with it.  bT is suppose to be a harmless bacterial killer, bacillus Thuringiensis (spelling?) but like Everything, I suppose there is controversy using it.  I figure, my broccoli, my rules. Still will always love Mel! My understanding is this is a naturally occurring bacteria so I insist on calling it organic.
Thanks for the advice on where to put the garlic!  I am gonna switch it up a bit next year!  Location-wise.  I finally have a 4x4 so I can move my trellises.  Not stuck in the one old window box!  

I want to try some in Spring.  Will do some research, have never used bT, but lots of folks do.  

Broccoli, and a hot pepper of some type.  Maybe poblano or jalapeño.  

Thanks!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/3/2016, 7:52 pm

Your Welcome!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/3/2016, 9:32 pm

N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! 3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/4/2016, 10:24 pm

Planted my 2 black seeded Simpsons in the old SFG today.   Some of the other leaves are germinating!  Either the mache or corn salad are very vigorous!  Yay!  Need to attend my compost pile this weekend.  Need to amend, turn, and start for next season!  

Pulled a bunch of those nameless paste type maters again.  Will do another batch of Easy and Marlelous crockpot marinara in the next few days!  

Do other paste type tomatoes bear like crazy!?  What are these things?  I love them!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! Empty Fall Garden Pics

Post  landarch 10/6/2016, 2:11 pm

Well, some veggies are winding down and some have caught their second wind with cooler, wet weather.

below - frustrated with fall carrots...this box was seeded in early August, then again multiple times in the following weeks and still not much for close to 2 months of growth.N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! Dsc06215

below - three trombone squash formingN&C Midwest:  October Happenings! Dsc06226

below - fall bibb lettuceN&C Midwest:  October Happenings! Dsc06233

below - fall buttercrunch lettuce, beets, and trombone squash vines still going strong.N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! Dsc06234

below - four green bell peppersN&C Midwest:  October Happenings! Dsc06231

below - indigo cherry drops tomatoesN&C Midwest:  October Happenings! Dsc06230

below - cucumbers...not a good year for cucumbers so I ripped out a bunch of dead vines in mid-August and seeded again...60 days from average first frost...don't think I'll get anything before frost.  A for effort.N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! Dsc06229

below - fall cylindra beets...taking a long time to break out of the seedling stage.N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! Dsc06232

below - health kick tomatoes still producing.N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! Dsc06236
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 10/6/2016, 2:25 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote: Either the mache or corn salad are very vigorous! 

? I was under the impression that mache and corn salad were different names for the same vegetable.  Am I confused?
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 10/6/2016, 2:43 pm

Very nice landarch. Thanks for sharing the photos. Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/6/2016, 6:04 pm

Robbomb116 wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote: Either the mache or corn salad are very vigorous! 

? I was under the impression that mache and corn salad were different names for the same vegetable.  Am I confused?
Not sure!  One packet says Corn Salad Bistro (canonigos bistro) and the other says Mache Machalong...

Are they the same thing?  I will have lots!  LOL!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 10/6/2016, 6:10 pm

Wikipedia says "mache, also known as corn salad...". I'm guessing you might just have too different varieties of the same vegetable? Or they might be exactly the same haha
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/6/2016, 6:32 pm

Ha!  Now I see!  The one has bigger seeds than the other.....well!  Have you ever grown it, Rob?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/6/2016, 6:38 pm

Nice pictures, Landarch!  How do those little black maters taste?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 10/6/2016, 6:45 pm

Indigo Cherry Drops taste good...larger than a typical cherry tomato...they rank very high in local taste tests, although it's hard to beat the black cherry tomatoes that have been coming on strong in the last month or so after months of nothing.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 10/6/2016, 7:54 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Ha!  Now I see!  The one has bigger seeds than the other.....well!  Have you ever grown it, Rob?
 Me? I've never grown anything until this fall.
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/6/2016, 10:27 pm

landarch wrote:Indigo Cherry Drops taste good...larger than a typical cherry tomato...they rank very high in local taste tests, although it's hard to beat the black cherry tomatoes that have been coming on strong in the last month or so after months of nothing.
Sweet?  

My maters have had a rough way this year.  Peppers, better.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 10/7/2016, 9:17 am

I don't really eat them directly...they get cut in half and into a pasta salad where they seem sweet and tangy.

My peppers were off this year...many stunted and mis-shapen...not the fat, blocky, thick-walled ones I grew last year that would sit perfectly on a tray when stuffed.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/7/2016, 9:34 pm

Robbomb116 wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Ha!  Now I see!  The one has bigger seeds than the other.....well!  Have you ever grown it, Rob?
 Me? I've never grown anything until this fall.
Me neither!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/7/2016, 9:36 pm

landarch wrote:I don't really eat them directly...they get cut in half and into a pasta salad where they seem sweet and tangy.

My peppers were off this year...many stunted and mis-shapen...not the fat, blocky, thick-walled ones I grew last year that would sit perfectly on a tray when stuffed.
So, really not an out of hand eating tomato?  They are gorgeous.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/9/2016, 2:32 pm

N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! Image16
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/9/2016, 2:36 pm

N&C Midwest:  October Happenings! Image19
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum