Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Toplef1010 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 I22gcj1010 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Toplef1010 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 I22gcj1010 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+20
Turan
keepercjr
sanderson
bigdogrock
Windmere
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
Mellen
No_Such_Reality
joy.cheri
CapeCoddess
CotheK
Kelejan
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
yolos
Scorpio Rising
24 posters

Page 4 of 41 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 41  Next

Go down

10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/15/2015, 12:13 pm

Oh boy, Sanderson!  Helpful hubby didn't know any better :-)  When they're matted they're a mess to deal with.  If they're too much trouble to deal with, you could lay the "mats" around a tree you want to mulch and keep the weeds down.  They work pretty well for that use.

I gather lawn bags of leaves that are well dried and simply crush them in the bag.  It doesn't take much effort and they get broken down into manageable pieces.  I've never had a composting problem with them at that size.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 12/16/2015, 12:18 am

Pride goeth before the fall. It looks like Yardslave was right. I need to make a compost pile with these fine shredded leaves. Last night was freezing (frozen water) with lots of frost. This morning, when it was 45*F and the MM in the beds in the shade was 35*F, the core of the leaf piles was 130*F!! Very Happy Like it or not, tomorrow I will have to brave the cold and make a winter Berkeley pile. Wet shredded leaves, horse manure and chredded alfalfa hay. Maybe a bag or 2 of Starbucks. I like to have produce or seaweed also but this will have to do for now.

Note to Newbies: Hot composting is possible in the cold (maybe not North Dakota and other snowy areas). You don't have to wait until warm weather if you have the bulk. The microbes do the heating.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/16/2015, 8:00 am

Excellent! Hubby did good! Lol
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 12/16/2015, 11:10 am

S, you have got to change your avatar to the Energizer Bunny! It's too cold outside- I'll pass on composting for a while; right now, I'm just trying to keep the frost damage down on my citrus trees (have to tuck them in for the night).
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/16/2015, 1:39 pm

Talk about energy!! Covering your citrus trees during this cold snap sounds like a lot of work to me!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 12/16/2015, 8:47 pm

It's a hassle to cover those citrus up, but the last time I got lazy the frost killed off all the new growth and resulted in a lot of branches having bark that died off from frost kill. The only thing good about it was the semi-dwarf trees are now no higher than shoulder height, so it's easier to get them covered. I went onto my garden storage area and got out my frost blankets to find them all mouse-eaten, so I had to resort to using lots of bed sheets (old 400 count Martha Stewart's, of course- nothing's too good for my citrus!) If they weren't old toss-outs I wouldn't have to worry about frost, as I'm sure my wife would generate plenty of heat if I used our good bed sheets Twisted Evil
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/16/2015, 10:05 pm

Yardslave wrote:I went onto my garden storage area and got out my frost blankets to find them all mouse-eaten, so I had to resort to using lots of bed sheets (old 400 count Martha Stewart's, of course- nothing's too good for my citrus!)

funny post lol!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/17/2015, 1:40 am

lol!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/17/2015, 2:19 pm

Finally ready to build Compost pile #10.  Well, as soon as I find more storage room for finished #9!  10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Compos14

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/17/2015, 5:56 pm

You have 10 piles currently going?!?!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/17/2015, 7:56 pm

No!  What a Face  This is the 10th one I have built since spring 2013!  I only have room for a single 3' x 3' x 3'.  I keep a log on each one so I can learn from mistakes.  Plus, being Berkeley piles, I record the morning and night temperatures and when I turned, added water, etc.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/17/2015, 8:40 pm

OH, good, I was feeling really inadequate! 10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 931411784
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/17/2015, 9:52 pm

I'm with you Scorpio, LOL!  Totally intimidating  Laughing
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Empty What is Berkeley?

Post  CotheK 12/17/2015, 10:18 pm

Hi!

I jumped in on this post to say Hi!  And to laugh and enjoy with you as well as ask a few questions...

What is Berkeley composting?  I can google but I'm being lazy and I know that would mean I get lost surfing and reading!   when you gather your leaves do you ask if the owner has used chemicals.  I gather my neighbors leaves as they fall in my yard and I asked her.  I am saving to build a compost pile.  I live in the desert in AZ so finding leaves is not easy!  I am encouraged by the recent posts you have posted.  

And I need to watch my pride too as I tend to destruct!  I also have a 'helpful' hubby. Wink   He helped me today make row covers.  I was able to get close to what I wanted!!  It should work!  We work with what we have on hand! 

Thanks for all the helpful posts!  Sanderson, I love your area!  Do you have a shade on the ramada?
CotheK
CotheK

Female Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/18/2015, 2:04 am

Hi Cothe,  Happy you jumped in.  Besides, your climate is close to what Audrey, Grandma, Yardslave and I have.  Hot summers, near freezing winters.  The pergola (vs. ramada) has open slats for the roof, allowing reduced sunlight.  No solid cover for it.  We used to have a white wisteria that almost covered the top, but it died years ago.  Now, a runaway cantaloupe will reach over the top.

Here's a link to a Forum thread on Berkeley composting.  https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t18500-compost-berkeley-18-day-hot-method?highlight=18+berkeley

The material spread on the tarp was not quite enough to fill the 3x3x3' cage.  Judging conical volumes for a cube can be hard.  Husband is standing there say, "You'll never get this all in."  Then he had to mow/chop up some more!  Razz   I used the following 5-gallon quantities:  28 mowed wet leaves, 1 bale or 27 mowed alfalfa hay, 1 of Starbucks, 8.5 small crumbled horse manure and total of 3/4 cup of blood meal sprinkled on 3 layers.  Gallon-wise, this totals over 27 cu ft, but as it is built and watered, everything compresses.  When it's finished in 3-4 weeks, it will be down to 18-20" in height.  I generally get temps as high as 160-170*F for a few days, so most of the seeds and contaminates are killed.

My neighbors have yard services, so the only things that would be spread on the lawns are fertilizer and maybe rye grass seeds for winter.  I carefully, lightly rake up the leaves, being on the watch and sniff for doggy doo and twigs. I hope all of this helps.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 12/18/2015, 11:29 am

sanderson wrote:I generally get temps as high as 160-170*F for a few days, so most of the seeds and contaminates are killed.,,,,,,

I saw an article in "Mother Earth News" about slow cooking in a hot compost bin: Corned beef and cabbage a' la compost pile. Can you imagine?  150 to 170 degrees is hot enough to get the job done. My wife would have a fit if any of her precious cookware were ever to touch my compost...that would generate heat far beyond any known method of cooking!
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/18/2015, 1:00 pm

Not heat, a fire!! rofl

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/18/2015, 2:12 pm

10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 931411784

That would be a  10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 3555472862  AND a  10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 1280598131
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/18/2015, 5:59 pm

Um, no. Gonna stick with the Crock Pot. Sayin'
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/24/2015, 1:53 pm

This is a nice time of the year with a break from heavy gardening. Have a hot Berkeley compost pile going, and I can say, turning 160*F compost in the cold is a lot easier than in the dead of summer. Have four 33-gal wheeled garbage cans of ready compost for spring planting and filling the new hanging baskets. Today is shopping, starting the cookies for the exchange and evening service. Tomorrow, Christmas, will be finishing the cookies, turning the compost again, and maybe heading to Sac for celebrating Christmas on Saturday. So I will be around Christmas day if some folks aren't having big to dos and are on line.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/17/2016, 8:27 pm

Nothing much going on outside right now.  We're getting the bedrooms end of the house painted and re-carpeted.  Been making bone broth, looking at seed catalogs for ordering.  Turned the compost a few days ago for the 6th time.  Base temp 60*F after turning and finally today it's up to a whopping 75*F.  The MM in the bed next to the compost it 40*F so there is still some activity going on in the compost, however little.  So here are some outdoor photos of current crops.

The mislabeled "kale" broccoli is blooming.  The main and side florets are delicious.  I brought this floret outside the tulle in case the errant bee comes by.  10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Brocol11

October we went on a trip and I had to stick all the new seedling packs into the beds to keep them alive until I got back.  Here are 4 of the 6 broccoli planted in a 6" line that never got replanted.  I just removed the 2 smallest.  They are producing in the MM! 10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Brocol12

Snow peas with blooms, 7' tall. 10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Snow_p10

Garlic and onions growing in the summer cantaloupe bed.  NZ spinach hanging in there in the background.  Free range worm box with about 2" of new castings. 10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Garlic10

More garlic, carrot, parsnips and later-planted snow peas. 10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Garlic11

Green house tomatoes, 1-3" across. 10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Tomato10
10 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Tomato11

Last edited by sanderson on 1/17/2016, 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 1/17/2016, 8:32 pm

Sanderson ... that is just not fair!!! I've got about 2 feet of snow on my property and the temperature is well below freezing. I want to be growing things but it is nice to see what others are doing at this time of the year.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/17/2016, 10:28 pm

What is that round leafed tufted plant in the 2nd to last picture towards the bottom?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 1/18/2016, 12:33 pm

Heatmaster seeds arrived, and I'm going to get them started, along with some Black Krims. Surveyed the House Finch damage;they have stripped all the kale and whatever parsley and chard they could shove into their bottomless beaks. I haven't had to mow the lawn for 6 weeks because the birds are doing it for me. They are like a heard of goats, nibbling on leaves like a plague of locusts. I'm going to try to get planting of lettuce in and under some frost blankets to keep those air-borne gluttons away. They've figured out how to get inside the bird netting around a few beds- nothing seems to deter them. Perhaps I should plant cats instead of veggies Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/18/2016, 3:50 pm

SR, 2 Taste of Asia bok choy?? 3rd from the bottom, just before the tomato pics.

YS, House finches? Yikes. Shocked Reminds me of The Birds by Alfred Hitchcook.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 41 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 41  Next