Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Weapon of mass pest destruction, anyone? Toplef10Weapon of mass pest destruction, anyone? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Weapon of mass pest destruction, anyone? I22gcj10Weapon of mass pest destruction, anyone? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Weapon of mass pest destruction, anyone? Toplef10Weapon of mass pest destruction, anyone? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Weapon of mass pest destruction, anyone? I22gcj10Weapon of mass pest destruction, anyone? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by arussman Today at 6:08 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Weapon of mass pest destruction, anyone?

+3
littlesapphire
camprn
Weedless_
7 posters

Go down

Weapon of mass pest destruction, anyone? Empty Weapon of mass pest destruction, anyone?

Post  Weedless_ 5/14/2015, 8:41 am

I am making a potent onion-garlic-cayenne tea to be used in the garden to kill caterpillars.
It's steeping right now, after which I am supposed to strain it and add a drop of dish-soap.
Anyone tried it before? How effective is it? Anything I need to know?

Thanks!
Weedless_
Weedless_

Female Posts : 233

http://www.eatalready.com

Back to top Go down

Weapon of mass pest destruction, anyone? Empty Re: Weapon of mass pest destruction, anyone?

Post  camprn 5/14/2015, 9:05 am

I have not used such a concoction for broad killing purposes. It aint easy but I encourage you to take care to not kill your beneficial creatures.

good luck.

Last edited by camprn on 5/14/2015, 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Weapon of mass pest destruction, anyone? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Weapon of mass pest destruction, anyone? Empty Re: Weapon of mass pest destruction, anyone?

Post  littlesapphire 5/14/2015, 9:05 am

I've never tried this before, so you'll have to let us know how it works!  I just wanted to comment that in the book The Truth Behind Garden Remedies, it says you should be careful with dish soap because too much can damage your plants.  But I think one drop would probably be alright.  I've used insecticidal soap before for soft bodied bugs and that works super well.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 5/14/2015, 9:23 am

Weedless, last yr. I was overrun with mosquitoes. And it was very hot outside. So, I searched the net and came up with a solution of garlic, onions, and the dish soap. Dummy me, It said, chop up in food processor, then strain, etc. It was food, plus it was in 90's outside, so I did this inside. 

I processed this in the house and then took off the lid. Well, it permeated all the house. I had nothing, including mosquitoes and humans, in the house. It would be a great solution for pollen. Cleared my head good. Worked so-so on the mosquitoes out in the yard.

It might work on regular bugs depending on the dilution.

Good Luck and let us know how it works.

Jo Ann
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/14/2015, 11:05 am

littlejo wrote:Weedless, last yr. I was overrun with mosquitoes. And it was very hot outside. So, I searched the net and came up with a solution of garlic, onions, and the dish soap. Dummy me, It said, chop up in food processor, then strain, etc. It was food, plus it was in 90's outside, so I did this inside. 

I processed this in the house and then took off the lid. Well, it permeated all the house. I had nothing, including mosquitoes and humans, in the house. It would be a great solution for pollen. Cleared my head good. Worked so-so on the mosquitoes out in the yard. Jo Ann
rofl

I've wondered if running the dehydrator for garlic outside wouldn't be a better option than inside. Now I'm convinced! Thanks for the chuckle.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/15/2015, 8:55 am

LOL, same for onions!  And when they're dehydrated, be sure to put them in glass jars rather than plastic.  The smell permeates...  Quickly!!

If you have a seal-a-meal, the jars are great for that type of thing or anything that has sharp edges (corn comes to mind...  and potato slices!)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  vortex 5/15/2015, 10:36 am

littlejo wrote:Weedless, last yr. I was overrun with mosquitoes. And it was very hot outside. So, I searched the net and came up with a solution of garlic, onions, and the dish soap. Dummy me, It said, chop up in food processor, then strain, etc. It was food, plus it was in 90's outside, so I did this inside. 

I processed this in the house and then took off the lid. Well, it permeated all the house. I had nothing, including mosquitoes and humans, in the house. It would be a great solution for pollen. Cleared my head good. Worked so-so on the mosquitoes out in the yard.

It might work on regular bugs depending on the dilution.

Good Luck and let us know how it works.

Jo Ann

Why are you crying? lol!

Get it? ha ha ha ha

Agreed that garlic and onion can be excellent deterrents. I have a tea spray recipe that uses garlic, onion, and cayenne (in powder form) as well as a little lemon dish soap.
vortex
vortex

Male Posts : 81

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down