Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
3 - MM lab analysis April 2015 Toplef103 - MM lab analysis April 2015 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

3 - MM lab analysis April 2015 I22gcj103 - MM lab analysis April 2015 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
3 - MM lab analysis April 2015 Toplef103 - MM lab analysis April 2015 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

3 - MM lab analysis April 2015 I22gcj103 - MM lab analysis April 2015 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by markqz Today at 11:01 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

MM lab analysis April 2015

+2
CapeCoddess
boffer
6 posters

Go down

3 - MM lab analysis April 2015 Empty MM lab analysis April 2015

Post  boffer 4/26/2015, 4:23 pm

(for comparison, see lab results from August 2011.)

I didn't spend as much money on seeds this year as I anticipated, so I thought I'd spend it on  lab tests facilitated by my Conservation District.  

TEST 1

This is a traditional soil test.  The sample was taken from the soil where I've grown nothing but corn for the last 6 years.  I've amended the native soil with a minimum of 5 way compost each year.  

Two years ago, I noticed a paling of the lower leaves late in the growing season, which I interpreted as nitrogen being depleted.  For last year's season, when I renewed the compost, I added bloodmeal.  The plants stayed greener throughout the growing season, but I didn't notice a change in harvest quality or quantity.  I decided to try it one more time, and  I added bloodmeal again when I prepped the boxes for this season.  This is the sample that I submitted.

Analysis Report for corn boxes:

Summary of the report by the Conservation District representative:
A quick look sample #3 shows that you have a very high organic matter at 25.0%.  This is well above the normal range for our local soils.   The Phosphorus (P) is at 84 ppm.  That is in the range that I like to see it.  We want it above 20 ppm but below 30 ppm.  The Potassium (K) is at 501 ppm.  That is a high level.  The K should be between 150 ppm and 200 ppm.  The Calcium is low and Magnesium is medium.  The prefect Calcium to Magnesium ratio is 7 to 1.  Your Ca to Mg ratio is 7.7 to 1.  This is very good.  Your Calcium is reflected in a higher soil pH.  With a soil pH at 6.5 the soil is right in the middle of the good range.   Plants like it best with a soil pH between 6.0 and 7.0.  The Cation Exchange Capacity is in the upper end of the range..  This means it has a very good ability to hold on to cations.  The Nitrate nitrogen is at 258 ppm.  Nitrate is water soluble so it is always low this time of the year.  258 is off the charts high.  This is much more nitrate than is needed to raise a crop.  Do not apply any additional nitrogen.  The Sulfur is also high at 76 ppm.  I want it to be between 12 and 20 ppm.  

You are not lacking in any soil nutrients.  In fact with most of the elements you have excess nutrients.  This area will grow whatever is planted on it and at this time about all you can do is attempt to farm some of these nutrients out of the ground.

Looks like I won't be adding bloodmeal next season.

TEST 2

This  sample is from the new MM I made for this season.  It is a basic test for greenhouse growing mediums.  Secondary minerals were not measured.  

Analysis Report for new MM, 2015 season:

No summary was provided by the Conservation District.

The results are comparable to those I received in 2011, with two exceptions.  The nitrogen is even lower than the marginal amount measured in the 2011 tests, and sodium is higher than optimal.  

I'm not sure what to make of the low nitrogen.  Most everything I'm currently growing is looking and behaving in what I consider a normal, healthy manner.

I suppose the high sodium is from using more than 20% manures in my compost.  It should easily flush away in my good draining TTs.

TEST 3

This sample came from my carrot box.  This is the 8th year in a row that I've grown nothing but carrots in this box.  I've always had a good carrot harvest.  The sample was taken after amending with 7 way compost for this season.  Some squares in the box were already planted, and growth so far is normal.

Analysis Report for MM in carrot box, 2015 season:

No summary was provided by the Conservation District.

I now have multiple deep boxes to choose from, so I'll move my carrots to a different box next year.  

The numbers are interesting, but the bottom line is whether or not I'm satisfied with my harvests.  With the exception of problems caused by leaf miners and cool, wet summers, I've always been happy with my harvests grown in MM, and will continue to amend with just 5+ compost sources.

I've tried a few controlled experiments on a small scale with the addition of azomite, fish emulsion, blood meal, or bone meal on different plants.  Other than a slight greening of the plants, I've seen no other benefits.

I'm not concluding that those amendments are without value.  However, I have re-inforced my own decision that amending with compost is the best gardening method for me because messing around with additives is too much work for this lazy gardener.  

To be fair, my experiments were probably poorly conducted because I added the additives at planting time, and that was that.  I paid no attention to, nor do I have any interest in mastering the use of them, to include:

• What to add
  • When to add
  • How much to add
  • How often to add

Plus, sufficient advance planning to set up control plants.  

Too much work! I'm happy to leave that stuff to row gardeners.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

3 - MM lab analysis April 2015 Empty Re: MM lab analysis April 2015

Post  CapeCoddess 4/26/2015, 5:28 pm

Very interesting... Shocked ...yet strange. I agree, if it ain'broke, why fix it.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 4/26/2015, 9:04 pm

Thanks for the post.  I agree with your sentiment that amending with compost is fine for us lazy gardeners.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/26/2015, 10:34 pm

After reading the ANSFG book, people have different reasons for trying SFG.  For me, the idea of growing in compost turned on the proverbial  light bulb.  3 - MM lab analysis April 2015 Icon_idea  After all, humans have been growing plants in compost for thousands of years.  

In contrast, the use of chemical fertilizers dates back to the mid-twentieth century; call it 75 years.  From what I can tell, they still don't have all the bugs worked out.

In my opinion, once a person finds reliable sources for quality compost, the hard work is over and done for good.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/26/2015, 10:54 pm

Great post! Thanks for sharing!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

3 - MM lab analysis April 2015 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/27/2015, 3:54 am

Yes, Boffer. Thank you for sharing.

Did I read somewhere that chemical fertilizers (compared to compost) are hard on worms and the micro-organisms in the growing medium, whether dirt or Mel's Mix? I think I did but didn't bookmark it. Anyway, worms seem to thrive in compost so I will stay with Mel's Mix.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/27/2015, 9:10 am

I should imagine it would be interesting to do a comparison on the effect on worms, compost v chemical fertilizers.

Anyone out there with an analytical mind?

Must ask Bentley of www.redwormcomposting.com; he likes getting people to do experiments.  I am in the middle of doing a 2-worm bin test to see how many worms are produced over a period of time.  So far I have two worms that started out at 3/4 and 1 inch long, are now about 3 inches and 4 inches long and reached puberty but not yet produced eggs.
Hoping for eggs next time I check and then baby worms.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down