Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England MARCH 2015 Toplef10New England MARCH 2015 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England MARCH 2015 I22gcj10New England MARCH 2015 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England MARCH 2015 Toplef10New England MARCH 2015 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England MARCH 2015 I22gcj10New England MARCH 2015 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England MARCH 2015

+10
camprn
llama momma
AtlantaMarie
donnainzone5
NHGardener
sanderson
quiltbea
littlesapphire
mollyhespra
CapeCoddess
14 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

New England MARCH 2015 Empty New England MARCH 2015

Post  mollyhespra 3/1/2015, 8:42 pm

Happy March, everyone!!!  

...It's supposed to become Spring this month, right?  Shocked

weeee New England MARCH 2015 274447 weeee
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

New England MARCH 2015 Empty Re: New England MARCH 2015

Post  CapeCoddess 3/2/2015, 1:32 pm

mollyhespra wrote:Happy March, everyone!!!  

...It's supposed to become Spring this month, right?  Shocked

weeee New England MARCH 2015 274447 weeee
One can only hope....but I'm not holding my breath.  Meteorlogical spring was yesterday and we got dumped on again. Rolling Eyes

I didn't start my seeds yet...still not feeling it.  Matt Noyes says that March will be colder than normal.  He thinks that's good so that we don't get flooding from all the snow down here in the lower south.

OH, and I did use DE on the turnip stumplings a couple times but the aphids come back, just not in the original numbers.  That helped make them manageable enough to squish now.   I'll banish the plants to the bedroom and spray with the pyrithrum.  Spraying them outside in this cold might kill them.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 3/2/2015, 3:40 pm

Just remember, CC, that the pyrethrum "sticks" to textiles and will hang around for quite a few washings. as such, mind the overspray getting on your clothes or skin (Miss Lilly may not get in that bedroom, but she'll likely get on you) or any other textiles in there.  Also be careful about not inhaling it.

Actually, if the DE helped to get the aphids' numbers down, why not just wait until it's "warmer" (above freezing) and do the P. spray outside?   Honestly, I wouldn't risk having it in the house at all, it's so toxic to cats.  DH has his Permethrin-soaked hiking stuff in the garage and he changes in and out of them in there so as not not risk it coming into contact with the furballs.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/2/2015, 5:09 pm

"pyrethrum "sticks" to textiles"

I did not know this.  Mad   I'll do it outside.  Wed is supposed to be a bit warmer.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 3/2/2015, 6:24 pm

Yes, did you read the above link in bold?  The article explains it in a bit more depth than I can.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 3/3/2015, 10:36 am

This is why I like talking to you New Englanders in spring rather than the Mid-Atlantic folks; even though I'm technically in the Mid-Atlantic region, by the time the snow has finally melted in my back yards, most other Mid-Atlantic gardeners already have green things in the ground!  I might be overly jealous, lol.

I've never used pyrethrum, but I have used Permathrin on some hiking clothes so I wouldn't have to spray my body with deet (yuck).  I remember reading that permathrin is highly toxic to cats when it's wet, but once it's dry, it's perfectly safe.  

I ended up planting some things on Sunday because I just couldn't wait any longer.  Took the advice from the book New Seed Starters' Handbook and started my peppers at 12 weeks BLF.  That worked so much better for me last year than the usual 6-7 weeks most books say.  I also put some coleus, petunias and onions in.  We'll see how it goes!  I figure if they're too early, it's still not much of a loss because I get to play with green things Very Happy
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/3/2015, 11:55 am

Happy March!  flower I'm hoping to see good things for weather here as we progress along the calendar.  Tonite more snow for us, about 3-5", tho we were lucky to miss the other nite with only a dusting.  Then more on Thursday nite.  Will this never stop!  In the meantime, I'll read my garden books again. study
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 3/3/2015, 5:24 pm

littlesapphire wrote:(snip)
I've never used pyrethrum, but I have used Permathrin on some hiking clothes so I wouldn't have to spray my body with deet (yuck).  I remember reading that permathrin is highly toxic to cats when it's wet, but once it's dry, it's perfectly safe.  
(snip)

Can you post where you read that permethrin is safe to cats when dry? 

All the reading/research I've ever done (I have cats and DH uses permethrin to treat his hiking clothes) state that it's toxic/potentially lethal to cats, period.  I'm at work right now, but I can dig up the articles for you when I get home this evening.  If you use the stuff and have cats it's important to be fully informed.

You may be thinking about contact with dog or human skin, where it's allegedly perfectly safe.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 3/3/2015, 8:17 pm

Molly, I got my info from the back of the permathrin bottle.  I did a quick search on google and came up with many sites that say it's safe once dry.  Here's one that seems pretty legit.  I care deeply about my cats though, so I make double sure to never have the liquid permathrin in the house, and I keep the sprayed clothing in a bag away from the cats.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/3/2015, 8:38 pm

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 3/3/2015, 8:53 pm

I think Sanderson is hinting for us to move the cats & Permethrin conversation to its own thread, which I'm happy to do. I'll be posting there in a minute (I literally have to go feed my cats right now, LOL). In the meantime, Sanderson: do you want to move the above few posts to the appropriate section for us?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 3/4/2015, 8:14 pm

Well guys, anyone indoor seeding kale in the near future? I guess you put the plants out about 4 weeks before first frost? So that would be mid-April for me.

Also, to combat the loopers, I might use row cover on them this year.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 3/5/2015, 8:46 am

Today is the day for me to get my onion seeds going!

This year, I'm going to try to focus more on storage veggies. DH & I have been making a huge pot of stew/soup about twice a month and it would be really good to be able to use fresh veggies from our own garden. So the goal is to grow enough of these to last us 6 months (hopefully more)

Rutabaga/turnips
Beets
Tomatoes (yes, you read that correctly)
Radishes
Celeriac
Potatoes
Carrots
Winter Squashes
Onions
Parsnips
Cabbage
Garlic
Lots o' dried herbs
Pulses (dried beans, peas, etc)

Up to this point, we've been limited by not having a root cellar but we think we've come up with a cunning plan: transform a small walk-in closet (that is located in the coldest, dampest corner of the basement into a root cellar by putting in wire shelving and adding some ductwork to the outside to regulate fresh air & cold in/out. We'll have to look into the moisture issue probably by judicious use of a humidifier when the air gets really dry in the dead of winter.

Right now, there's a chest freezer and some cabinets in there (the closet is in the room we use as a laundry/pantry) so it will take some work, but I'm hopeful that it will provide us with the ability to store some nice veggies over the winter.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 3/5/2015, 9:55 am

Molly, I saw a tour of a home with a root cellar in the basement very much like what you're thinking of, they actually built the room in the basement. It definitely works. I forget the important components - was it ventilation that was important? I don't remember the details unfortunately (it was 2-3 yrs. ago and I don't have the capability to use the system here) but I'll bet if you google/youtube/etc. you'll get info from folks who have put root cellars into a room in the basement.

Good thinking with your storage planning! I grew dried beans last summer and it was a real success, only I only ended up with about one bean soup recipe's worth! So this year I want to plant a boatload of dried beans. I'm thinking of sticking a bush here and there throughout the yard, not even only in the garden. The slugs did love them tho. But I believe dried beans are nitrogen fixers (right?) so even sticking them between the fruit trees they say is a good idea, to help the trees with nitrogen.

It's great to hear what you're doing up in the frozen tundra. If you can do it up there, anyone should be able to. LOL.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/5/2015, 10:52 am

I'm supposed to be planting kale and all other green seeds today indoors during lunch break.  But it's snowing so hard that I won't be going home for lunch as I'll be snowed out of my neighborhood. Just before school bus time is when the plow will do his deed. 

Tomorrow's another day.  Looks like a beautiful stretch of sun coming. sunny 

Molly, can't you store root veggies on a shelf in the garage?  My garage is sure moist enough if that's what they need, especially this year. 

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 3/5/2015, 11:06 am

CC, I live for the day when your snowshoes will turn into flipflops.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/5/2015, 11:19 am

NHGardener wrote:CC, I live for the day when your snowshoes will turn into flipflops.
Amen, Sistah!  Barefootin' would be even better!

My girlfriend from TX told me that my snowshoes are on the wrong feet in that photo.  I didn't even know there was a right and left.  Shocked   Is there?  They look identical to this FL girl...
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/5/2015, 12:05 pm

CapeC.....Now that you mention it, I can see they are on the wrong feet.  There's a slightly wider curve on each side that might possibly denote the inside big toe section, if there's such a thing in showshoes.
As for a root cellar, I remember years ago the thing to add to a root cellar was a couple inches of sand to regulate the moisture but if I were building one, I'd check in with the experts first.

Last edited by quiltbea on 3/5/2015, 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/5/2015, 12:20 pm

I didn't think there was a right vs. left shape. Wiki: "When putting on snowshoes, left is distinguished from right by which way the loose ends of the binding straps point: always outward, to avoid stepping on them repeatedly." This makes sense to me.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/5/2015, 1:02 pm

sanderson wrote:I didn't think there was a right vs. left shape.  Wiki:  "When putting on snowshoes, left is distinguished from right by which way the loose ends of the binding straps point: always outward, to avoid stepping on them repeatedly."  This makes sense to me.
Hmm...well, for me with hip arthritis, it was easier to have the (wicked short) straps on the inside for easier adjusting.  Just sit on the upside down bucket, throw the foot up on the opposite knee and badda-bing, badda-boom...tight (short) straps.

I've been composting in 5 gal buckets & putting the full ones outside, since I can't get to the compost pile.  Working on #3 now. 

What are you all doing with your kitchen scraps, etc?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 3/5/2015, 2:07 pm

I just kind of bury my kitchen scraps into the top layer of snow on the pile, I figure spring will sort it all out.

I was the first person at the ag store to buy their Coast of Maine potting soil today - they had to cut the pallet open. Poor little squished flat and completely frozen bag! I brought it into the house to thaw, hopefully it will fluff up a little.

Guess we're not the only ones who really don't feel like indoor seeding yet...
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 3/7/2015, 8:12 am

CC, my garage is both unheated and separate from the house, so nothing would stay above-freezing in there. Otherwise, that would have been a great option. Sad

I was able to start my onion seeds on the 5th; planted 6 varieties, all allegedly good "keepers".

I've also got a good supply now of my potato onions (Green Mountain Multiplier) that I'll be planting out in the spring. We've been eating the ones who want to wake up early but so far, most are as hard as a rock. I'm hopeful that if I can get the same thing going with the other varieties below, I will have a good variety of onioney-goodness to last a good part of the year. drooling

Red Cipollini
Southport White Globe
Utah Yellow Sweet Spanish
Noordhollandse Bloedrode (North Holland Blood Red)
Jaune Paille Des Vertus
Brunswick

So far, the Southport White Globe has already started to sprout! I just threw some seeds into a separate little planting container for each variety and am growing them en-masse. I read somewhere that onion seeds don't keep long, and some of these seed packets were getting up there, so I thought germination might be spotty. We'll see!

I'm also going to be ambitious today and start working on that root-cellar closet project. Wish me luck!

mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/7/2015, 2:06 pm

You can do it, Molly!  Go, girl!

NHG, I'd need to don my snow shoes on the wrong feet to get out to my compost pile. Mad
New England MARCH 2015 Photo113

Will somebody please fill up my cell packs with MM?  And then if someone else would get the seeds from the back of the fridge and put them in my lap, I'd be ever so grateful.  And then if someone else will plant the seeds I pick out that would be a great help.  Then water and put them on the heating pad please, and put everything away?

Crud.  What is wrong with me???  It took more time to write about it than it would to do it.  
All I wanna do is New England MARCH 2015 60389 reading  New England MARCH 2015 4022887542 bottoms up sawing logs

idk
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/7/2015, 2:15 pm

I'm with you, CC!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/7/2015, 2:16 pm

CapeCoddess wrote: 
All I wanna do is New England MARCH 2015 60389 reading  New England MARCH 2015 4022887542 bottoms up  sawing logs
idk
CC
Sounds like winter activities to me. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down