Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - Winterizing strawberries Toplef10strawberries - Winterizing strawberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - Winterizing strawberries I22gcj10strawberries - Winterizing strawberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - Winterizing strawberries Toplef10strawberries - Winterizing strawberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - Winterizing strawberries I22gcj10strawberries - Winterizing strawberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 10:20 am

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Winterizing strawberries

+4
walshevak
slimbolen99
plantoid
ktomchik
8 posters

Go down

strawberries - Winterizing strawberries Empty Winterizing strawberries

Post  ktomchik 12/30/2014, 5:04 pm

I live outside of Chicago and read that I should cover my strawberries with straw over the winter to protect them from the cold. Since they are in a box could I also put an insulated lid on the box? I have sheet of styrofoam.  I am concerned that they will not get enough light if the lid is on all the time. Should I use it only overnight or daytime also when it is very cold? How about a plastic sheet lid to get greenhouse warming? Thanks for any advice. Ken
ktomchik
ktomchik

Male Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

strawberries - Winterizing strawberries Empty Re: Winterizing strawberries

Post  plantoid 12/30/2014, 6:23 pm

You may find that putting the foam lid over them causes them to sweat and develop mould or simply rot .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  slimbolen99 12/30/2014, 7:25 pm

If you can get your hands on some leaves (rake your leaves up), just pile up about a 2"-4" layer of leaves over them in the early winter -- and then either rake them out or, as I do, use a leaf blower to blow most of them out in the early spring.
slimbolen99
slimbolen99

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 12/30/2014, 7:39 pm

A mulch mix of straw and leaves will work.  Just make it thick.  Then in early spring, remove the mulch and add to or start a compost pile.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 12/30/2014, 7:42 pm

ktomchik wrote:I live outside of Chicago and read that I should cover my strawberries with straw over the winter to protect them from the cold. Since they are in a box could I also put an insulated lid on the box? I have sheet of styrofoam.  I am concerned that they will not get enough light if the lid is on all the time. Should I use it only overnight or daytime also when it is very cold? How about a plastic sheet lid to get greenhouse warming? Thanks for any advice. Ken
Ken, Strawberries need a cold period. They will go dormant in the winter, and you should cover them with straw, pinestraw, leaves, some kind of mulch(not plastic)
They should be able to breathe.
In the spring, maybe 2 weeks before last spring frost, clear the mulch/straw away and they will start growing/blooming soon.
Jo Ann
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/30/2014, 9:44 pm

littlejo wrote:
ktomchik wrote:I live outside of Chicago and read that I should cover my strawberries with straw over the winter to protect them from the cold. Since they are in a box could I also put an insulated lid on the box? I have sheet of styrofoam.  I am concerned that they will not get enough light if the lid is on all the time. Should I use it only overnight or daytime also when it is very cold? How about a plastic sheet lid to get greenhouse warming? Thanks for any advice. Ken
Ken, Strawberries need a cold period. They will go dormant in the winter, and you should cover them with straw, pinestraw, leaves, some kind of mulch(not plastic)
They should be able to breathe.
In the spring, maybe 2 weeks before last spring frost, clear the mulch/straw away and they will start growing/blooming soon.
Jo Ann
Another option is to cover them with a thick layer of wood chips. These would be Ramial wood chips (branches under 3 inches with leaves and needles, not bark or sawdust). I did this last winter about 4 inches deep. I left the mulch on and only the strong plants grew through it so I didn't need to do any thinning. The man I learned this from and NEVER had to thin his old, non-bearing plants out as they are simply too weak to come through the cover and the young ones take over.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ktomchik 12/31/2014, 1:08 am

Thanks to all of you. I was hoping to use leaves as I have plenty of them after raking my lawn. I read that leaves alone may pack down too much to work well. I obtained some straw and put 4-6 inches into the SFG box. It is hard for me to resist laying the styrofoam sheet over the box when it is really cold. MY POOR BABIES! I know as you reminded me the plants need to grow despite my efforts so I will  try to resist the temptation. Maybe if it is below 10 degrees only and only overnight not continuously? Seems like I just may not be able to help myself.  Thanks to all of you again.  Ken
ktomchik
ktomchik

Male Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/31/2014, 1:14 am

ktomchik, thanks for raising this topic, it reminded me of what I should be or not be doing for my own strawberries.
Just remember, TOUGH LOVE! If some strawberries do not survive, then they were not strong enough. You do not want plants with only a couple of tiny berries, do you?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/31/2014, 2:47 am

Kelejan wrote:ktomchik, thanks for raising this topic, it reminded me of what I should be or not be doing for my own strawberries.
Just remember, TOUGH LOVE! If some strawberries do not survive, then they were not strong enough. You do not want plants with only a couple of tiny berries, do you?
This weekend I need to attend to mine.  We just got our first frosts this week so I'll cover them Saturday.  Deadlines are looming (have to get new art to my agents before Friday).  So I just have to resist the impulse to grab my wheelbarrow and head to the wood chip pile!  

Fortunately, our low 30s high 20s aren't going to be a big deal to the berries even uncovered :-)
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/1/2015, 10:45 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:
Another option is to cover them with a thick layer of wood chips.  These would be Ramial wood chips (branches under 3 inches with leaves and needles, not bark or sawdust).  I did this last winter about 4 inches deep.  I left the mulch on and only the strong plants grew through it so I didn't need to do any thinning.  The man I learned this from and NEVER had to thin his old, non-bearing plants out as they are simply too weak to come through the cover and the young ones take over.  

I do this with pine needles. No maintenance necessary and the darn things grow like weeds, even jumping out of their bed into the lawn. This year I put seaweed over some of them just to see what would happen come spring. If I lose a few I can always pick some out of the lawn for replacements. Rolling Eyes

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down