Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - New England August 2014 Toplef10Garlic - New England August 2014 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - New England August 2014 I22gcj10Garlic - New England August 2014 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - New England August 2014 Toplef10Garlic - New England August 2014 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - New England August 2014 I22gcj10Garlic - New England August 2014 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England August 2014

+15
has55
donnainzone5
sanderson
Windmere
GardenGroupie
Nicola
yolos
quiltbea
llama momma
camprn
mollyhespra
NHGardener
CapeCoddess
Mips
RJARPCGP
19 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Garlic - New England August 2014 Empty New England August 2014

Post  RJARPCGP 8/1/2014, 9:03 am

Cloudy with some fog this morning.
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Male Posts : 352

Back to top Go down

Garlic - New England August 2014 Empty Re: New England August 2014

Post  RJARPCGP 8/1/2014, 3:33 pm

In the soil of my hibiscus:

ANTS! Garlic - New England August 2014 671790
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP 8/1/2014, 6:49 pm

My buddy, in Rochester NY, is having a T-storm! I can hear it on Skype! LOOOOOOOOL!  Laughing
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Back to top Go down

Post  Mips 8/2/2014, 7:15 am

Some rain  bounce, a couple of cukes a day from my 4 Spacemasters, an increasing number of orange cherry tomatoes (which I just can't wait to get to red so they pay the gardener's tax at orange while I am out there) and 1 pepper plant has a number of potential blossoms FINALLY.  They better get on to their business fast at this point. 

Earlier this week I had a pruning frenzy on the tomatoes. I let them get too many side shoots and axial stems.  I might have been a little over exuberant in some cases but the ending result has made the existing green tomatoes bigger and a little less green quickly enough so I know that while I should have kept a better control earlier, I did help them now.  The thinning also allowed me to catch 3 huge yucky-but-would-have-been-pretty-if-they-weren't-eating-my-tomato-plants caterpillars.  I think they were hornworms. 

They did quite a bit of damage in a day.  I wonder if the previously too bushy nature of my plants hid them from me when they were smaller. They were HUGE and still tough to see.  Yuck.    I couldn't bear to squish the fuzzy green monsters.   I drown them in the pool filter intake. They really were kind of cute but they were doing the unforgiveable thing of destroying my tomatoes.   Twisted Evil
Mips
Mips

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/2/2014, 8:05 am

I just finished operating on another zucchini plant that was hit by SVB. I opened up a hole in the top, put in a dropper full of Ivory soap and the worm jumped right out. I cut wormy in half then side dressed zuke with almost finished compost since that's all I have.

We're supposed to get rain today. Hahahahaha! So I guess I'd better get moving and plant some seeds of collards, lettuces, mustard, etc. for fall.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/2/2014, 12:15 pm

Just finished planting and watering these in and now it's gently raining out! Garlic - New England August 2014 Img_2041
How perfect!
 What a Face 
 Now, if August will just stay cool I won't have to plant them again.  Either way I'll probably shade cover the lettuces and spinaches anyway.

Whatcha'll up to?
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 8/2/2014, 3:36 pm

Ooh, CC, I wonder if it has to be ivory soap or can be any liquid soap. I think I have market basket brand liquid soap refill here. What I would give to see a SVB jump out of a vine... heh heh.

I was reading on the web somewhere (I read so much it just all blurs together) where Lee Reich was talking about SVB. He was saying how they love squash/zucchini the best, and those plants don't send out vines so they can't keep rooting themselves like, say, pumpkin or cucumber. But in final, he said by the time the SVB causes its trouble the gardener is almost relieved, because how many squash/zucchini can you eat anyway... HA. I have a pile of squash/zucchini on the counter so I can relate, I'm hiding it in every recipe I can at this point but still can't keep up...

He also mentioned they don't like butternut squash so much, it doesn't have the hollow stem but is solid so they can't get in there. So one option: grow butternut squash.

And still from what I read, burying the vines is the best recourse. I'm worried about my pumpkin vines because I have these half-grown beautiful but still VERY green pie pumpkins on there that I can't wait to get into a pumpkin pie. I just hope they're re-rooting because I took the knife to 2 of them and probably did more damage than the SVB.

We're getting our spring rains! Finally! Damp, cool, humid, drizzly spring in August.

I'm noticing a lot of large white moths flittering all over the place here - anyone else seeing that? I assume those are cabbage worm moths, I did see the black spot on each wing, I think that's cabbage worm signs.

Oh, made a baked ziti last night with a whole squash chopped up, a bunch of kale leaves torn into pieces, tomatoes from the freezer from last year, potato onion, and garlic, and basil from the garden... Trying to pack it all in there, if I hide it, the kids are more likely to eat it.

I need to pull garlic before it splits into cloves down there, but it's been so murky out there. Doesn't it need to be a dry day?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 8/2/2014, 3:38 pm

Mips - you found hormworms! I haven't found any yet this year, which is weird. I wonder if it could have something to do with the multiple yellow jacket nests that are hanging around this year - I saw a yellow jacket tackle a cabbage worm once, maybe they like baby hornworms too, I don't know. They're so funny looking! You can go blind looking for them, they'll do a ton of damage in a short amount of time, chickens think they are filet mignon.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/2/2014, 4:50 pm

NHG, I pulled the last of my garlic today. Probably should have pulled them all about a week or two earlier, though, since a number of them have split. I'm saving them all to grow again next year so I don't think it matters much if I left them in too long. It would matter if I were planning on storing them, I think, but since I'm not, it's OK.

Better check on yours just to make sure, since I'm usually behind everyone else.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/2/2014, 7:42 pm

I finally braided and weighed my garlic. I harvested about 5 pounds from a 4x6 bed.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Garlic - New England August 2014 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 8/2/2014, 7:49 pm

Thanks for the gentle nudge Molly, I pulled them today, should be 128 heads, most of them are beautiful, a few are cracked but not many. After I pulled them I threw some oat seed in that bed, if nothing eats it it will be fun to watch it germinate. I put a little straw over the seed.

How are you all drying your garlic? Does braiding dry it, or does braiding come after it's dried? I'll have to look this up again.

What was I thinking, 128 heads. Smile Well, don't have to buy seed garlic for next year anyway.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/2/2014, 9:24 pm

NHGardener wrote:Thanks for the gentle nudge Molly, I pulled them today, should be 128 heads, most of them are beautiful, a few are cracked but not many. After I pulled them I threw some oat seed in that bed, if nothing eats it it will be fun to watch it germinate. I put a little straw over the seed.

How are you all drying your garlic? Does braiding dry it, or does braiding come after it's dried? I'll have to look this up again.

What was I thinking, 128 heads. Smile Well, don't have to buy seed garlic for next year anyway.
you have to let it cure and dry before braiding it together. I waited 3 weeks before mine was ready to braid. Softnecks can braid easily. There is no braiding of hardnecks.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Garlic - New England August 2014 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mips 8/3/2014, 10:17 am

The cucumber fairy visited last night: I took 6 cukes off of 4 spacemasters, including one off 1 of my 2 (former) baby plants...these 2 plants  were so late & tiny compared to the others which just took off growing I didn't think they would survive but they did!  They are still a lot smaller than the other 4 but obviously starting to produce.

I had been measuring the cukes for the past week trying to optimize their size. I knew I had a few there but I hadn't been counting them.  I finally took them at just over 6 inches.   They were certainly fat enough.  Is it always a guessing game to pick them at the best size?  Is it always subjective or are there more quidelines to it.

You can tell I'm more than abit ocd.   What a Face
Mips
Mips

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 8/3/2014, 11:05 am

My garlic are all hardnecks. I thought softnecks were more for milder climates?

I see, looking online, that softnecks store longer, are milder, and mature more quickly. But I can't live without scapes. Smile

"cucumber fairy" - LOL. Those cucumbers are so good at hiding, sometimes I don't find one until it's huge. Mine are prickly too, so not easy to root around to look for them. I would think regarding size that the bigger cucumbers probably have larger seeds and aren't as easy to work with as the small to mid-size ones. Then again, I don't like them too skinny and unripe either. I'm OCD about many things, but not cucumber size, I just pick em when I see em. Smile
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/3/2014, 11:27 am

NHGardener wrote:

mine is hanging in the basement from the clothes line with an oscillating fan blowing on it. I won't do anything else to it as I don't need the clothes line this time of year. It will just stay there until I need some.Garlic - New England August 2014 Img_2042

Mips, I was told by an Asian coworkers that we should never let the cucumbers have a hint of yellow on them. Once they have the slightest change of yellow they do not have optimal flavor any longer. So pick them when they're solid green.

By the way folks, I've had two cucumbers and 2 zucchini and some yellow summer squash so far. I'm almost afraid to say it out loud. I hope it continues but the humidity level is certainly on the rise. It's the powdery mildew that eventually takes my cukes down but I'm growing resistant varieties this year and I think it's working. So far anyway..

Last edited by CapeCoddess on 8/3/2014, 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/3/2014, 11:33 am

August Garden Chores

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/3/2014, 11:36 am

NHG
My garlic is also in the basement. It's laying across a bakers rack with a fan on it for the past few weeks.  It's probably time to cut the stalks and clean them off.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 8/3/2014, 12:11 pm

CC, I like how those are hung. You tied them by the stems?

This is how I spread out my garlic yesterday:
Garlic - New England August 2014 Garlic10
Garlic - New England August 2014 Garlic11
Garlic - New England August 2014 Garlic12
From the back: Smile
Garlic - New England August 2014 Garlic13
There will be no vampires visiting me anytime soon. We have a crawl space, so can't put it there, and no good rain-proof and sun-proof eaves/porch to hang it under, so in the spare room it goes.

Last edited by NHGardener on 8/3/2014, 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added back photo)
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 8/3/2014, 12:55 pm

What a great harvest.  At my house I dry them in the workshop leaving the door open to the fresh air.  I know they have to dry in the shade.  I don't pull them till half or more of the top leaves have turned brown.  There's nothing like a fresh-grown garlic come winter.
Good job.

Ooops, so excited about that harvest I forgot to post that I picked 1 Pink Mountain Pride tomato today.  That means only about 4 larger ones this year so far.  The blight is steadily advancing, I'm sorry to report.
There's more cukes forming on the potted plants and the back raised bed garden so I'm happy about that.  Checked the cherry tree and only a few J. Beetles this afternoon.  I hope they are deciding to go elsewhere.  They don't bother the peach and apple trees at all. The Glads are starting to bloom and looking lovely with all their colors.  I adore Glads.

The bees are so busy in the Monarda that they intrude on the hummer feeders nearby so I had to move them (the feeders).  Now the hummers are happy again.  I have no shortage of bees, that's for sure. 

I have one Dunja zuke in the raised garden looking ready to pick so will do that for tomorrow nite to have with supper.  No bugs on the zuke and squash vines to date so I'm crossing my fingers.  I know it can't last forever.

Have a good weekend everyone.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 8/3/2014, 1:58 pm

QB, there is a lot of bee activity here too. Those bumblebees make honeybees look lazy. It's nice to hear the constant buzzing.

I don't see carrots mentioned by anyone. Did anyone have luck with carrots this summer? I sowed carrots 3 times, and not a single sprout, I'm figuring something must have eaten the seeds. This is pretty much an annual occurrence for me. I'm so tired of not having carrots. The farmers markets always have such big, beautiful, orange carrots, I wonder how they do it.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/3/2014, 2:33 pm

NHGardener wrote:
I don't see carrots mentioned by anyone. Did anyone have luck with carrots this summer?

Surprisingly I'm doing well with carrots this year. Only planted once back in April because my heart just wasn't in it since I've had so many failures over the past two years. But I ended up posting a photo in the carrot week thread a week or so ago. I need to harvest the rest shortly along with a ton of lettuce for my weekly lettuce box. I'll put up photo of those ones here later.

CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/3/2014, 4:09 pm

this week's lettuce box harvest:
Garlic - New England August 2014 Img_2043
 cheers 
Time to get a'washin and a'choppin...

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 8/3/2014, 5:00 pm

Ooh, so pretty CC!

So now. Did you plant your carrots in an SFG box, and how deep was the soil in the box? And did you cover the box after you planted carrot seeds?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP 8/3/2014, 6:30 pm

Is it just me? The purple hostas are still blooming! And still a lot of purple hosta flowers, too!
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/3/2014, 7:06 pm

RJARPCGP wrote:Is it just me? The purple hostas are still blooming! And still a lot of purple hosta flowers, too!
mine are almost done.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next