Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Three Sisters... my new word: "allelopathy" Toplef10Three Sisters... my new word: "allelopathy" 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Three Sisters... my new word: "allelopathy" I22gcj10Three Sisters... my new word: "allelopathy" 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Three Sisters... my new word: "allelopathy" Toplef10Three Sisters... my new word: "allelopathy" 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Three Sisters... my new word: "allelopathy" I22gcj10Three Sisters... my new word: "allelopathy" 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Three Sisters... my new word: "allelopathy"

3 posters

Go down

Three Sisters... my new word: "allelopathy" Empty Three Sisters... my new word: "allelopathy"

Post  Windmere 7/24/2014, 3:14 pm

Yesterday I read a good article in the Aug/Sep issue of Organic Gardening.  The article focused on the "Three Sisters" method of gardening and it mentioned some new stuff I had never heard before.  Here goes:

"Most gardeners have heard of 'three sisters,' three food plants traditionally grown together by native Americans, and supposed reasons why the crop combination works:  The corn acts as a pole for climbing beans, the beans fix nitrogen, thereby providing an important plant nutrient; and the squash's broad leaves shade out the weeds."

Moving on, "As it turns out, squash plants do suppress weeds, but in addition to blocking the sun with their large leaves, they also take on the weeds through and altogether more sophisticated mechanism:  allelopathy.

"Allelopathy is 'chemical warfare between plants,' says Stephen Duke, Ph.D., research leader a the USDA's Natural Products Utilization Research Unit.  Allelopathy occurs when plants produce natural chemicals, known as allelochemicals, that inhibit growth of competing species."

Some more points I got from reading the entire article:

The phenomenon of allelopathy was not understood until about a century ago.  Duke explained that "juglone" found in black walnut is very toxic to other plants (I've heard about this before).

"Squash can inhibit surrounding weed growth through their roots and through leaf litter that has fallen to the ground or from dead, decaying plants.  The chemicals inhibit weeds more than they impact crop plants."

A sad point is that most plants have had allelopathy bred out of them to increase yield.  As a result, Duke says, "Weeds tend to be more allelopathic than crops [because] we haven't tinkered with them."

Types of crops that can be allelopathic are a certain kind of rice, "beets, corn, wheat, oats, peas, buckwheat, millet, barley, rye and cucumber.  Additionally, several species of sage have been shown to inhibit cucumbers and oats; sunflowers impact wheat; and wormwood suppresses beans, fennel and peas.".

Mulches made from allelopathic plants can help retard weed growth.  The allelochemiclas they release break down quickly, so they won't harm the next crop you plant in that space.  Make sure that, when applying allelopathic mulches to crops, the crop plant is well established before applying the mulch.

I have heard about other crop combinations that can be good or bad (I can't think of any specific ones right now though).

The last sentence in this articles says, "Imagine a day when 'applying herbicide' means spraying and aqueous mixture of a strongly allelopathic plant!"

I just wanted to share that with everyone.  The article is entitled "Weed Whacked" and it was written by Jill Richardson.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Three Sisters... my new word: "allelopathy" Empty Re: Three Sisters... my new word: "allelopathy"

Post  mollyhespra 8/3/2014, 10:10 pm

I don't know how I missed this before. Great article, Windmere, thanks for posting about it!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Three Sisters... my new word: "allelopathy" Empty Fascinating stuff

Post  Windmere 8/4/2014, 10:40 am

Thank you for the comment mollyhespra.  These types of scientific facts are fascinating to me.  Who would have thunk?
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Three Sisters... my new word: "allelopathy" Empty Re: Three Sisters... my new word: "allelopathy"

Post  GWN 8/4/2014, 6:00 pm

that was very interesting. would like to read more about it
thank you
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum