Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Business member new to SFG Community! Toplef10Business member new to SFG Community! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Business member new to SFG Community! I22gcj10Business member new to SFG Community! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Business member new to SFG Community! Toplef10Business member new to SFG Community! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Business member new to SFG Community! I22gcj10Business member new to SFG Community! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Business member new to SFG Community!

+3
AtlantaMarie
rabbithutch
LUAgriculture
7 posters

Go down

Business member new to SFG Community! Empty Business member new to SFG Community!

Post  LUAgriculture 5/29/2014, 10:06 am

I just signed up for the SFG Instructor class and am really excited about it!  I've been gardening for a long time and have used SFG in my own garden.  My wife and I own a small business in the Dallas/Fort Worth area called Liberty Urban Agriculture where we build and install raised-bed and elevated vegetable gardens as well as backyard chicken coops.

Here are some photos of projects we've done for customers:

Business member new to SFG Community! Img_0214

Business member new to SFG Community! Gus_ga11

Business member new to SFG Community! Plante10

Business member new to SFG Community! Img_0611

I hope to use the knowledge gained from an SFG certification to provide our customers with greater insight and better information about caring for their gardens as well as offer classes on SFG.

Glad to be here!
LUAgriculture
LUAgriculture

Back to top Go down

Business member new to SFG Community! Empty Re: Business member new to SFG Community!

Post  rabbithutch 5/29/2014, 10:46 am

Those are some great looking beds, but they look suspiciously like the ones I designed and built.   Very Happy    I put the legs on the ends, not the sides, and I put stretchers down the length to support shelves.

What are the black boxes?

Welcome to SFG-TOF! Business member new to SFG Community! 3170584802
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Business member new to SFG Community! Empty Re: Business member new to SFG Community!

Post  LUAgriculture 5/29/2014, 11:35 am

Thanks!  Yeah, I've done a lot of research and developed a design that works well.  But I guess there's nothing new under the sun right?  Smile 

The black boxes are mailboxes repurposed as garden tool boxes for holding your scissors, gloves, twine, etc.

Thanks for the welcome!
LUAgriculture
LUAgriculture

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/29/2014, 1:15 pm

Hi LU.  Welcome!

Interesting idea for the mailboxes...!  I LIKE that.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/29/2014, 2:57 pm

They are all good looking. I love the mailboxes. It looks like you notched out one side of the top of the 4x4 post. ??
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch 5/29/2014, 3:53 pm

I'm having problems with an anti-malware program that is not letting me post a pic, but I'll try to describe what I did.

I used 2 pieces of 2x4.  One is shorter than the other so that the sides of the box rest atop it while the longer one extends up the side.  These 2x4s were glued face to face and clamped overnight.  I also drove 2-1/2" screws from each of the opposing faces to ensure that they will remain together should the glue fail (I've never had a glue joint fail, but there is always a first time.).  The portion of the longer 2x4 that extends along the side was drilled and 2 bolts were inserted to attach the leg to the bed.

Before I glued the faces of the 2x4s together, I routed out dadoes at the same distance from the bottom of the leg pieces.  The dadoes were 3/4" deep so that when placed facing each other, there was a gap 1-1/2" into which I place a 2x4 that joins legs into pairs.  That, too, was glued and screwed.  With the box sides joined to the box ends and the whole turned upside down, I was able to use clamps to position a leg pair then attach it to the end of the bed and repeat the process at the other end.

I always overbuild everything for maximum strength and this was no exception.  After attaching the leg pairs to each end, I then ran two 2x4 stretchers to connect the leg pairs to increase rigidity and strength.  I then braced those stretcher to the legs adding even more strength and rigidity.

I'll get some pics up as soon as I figure out what the antimalware is doing to me.

Okay.  Here is a jpg of my original concept design.  I modified it as I went dropping the pair of legs at the center.
Business member new to SFG Community! 4x10tt13
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch 5/29/2014, 4:26 pm

This first pic shows the details of my leg construction and how I captured the stretcher between the two 2x4s to make a leg assembly.  You can see the leg assembly bolted to the bed end.  You can also see the stretchers that tie the leg assemblies together and the bracing added for strength and rigidity.
Business member new to SFG Community! Table_14

This one shows the entire length of the 4' by 10' bed.  The narrow pieces run across the narrow dimension at 1 foot intervals.  They are then supported by the 2x4 you see running from end to end.
Business member new to SFG Community! Table_15

This shows the detail of how the sides are connected.  I used 2x8s for the sides but that is not deep enough for the MM and the mulch that I need; so I'll just add a 2x4 top perimeter fastened with the spikes
Business member new to SFG Community! Table_16

I used 1/2" hardware cloth for bottoms and strips every foot to further support the hardware cloth.  Although not yet installed in this photo, landscape cloth was used to line the inside with one layer covering the narrow side and one layer covering the longer side and stapled up about an inch below the top edge.  The unpainted strips are treated 1x2.  Beneath them are 2x4s bolted to the ends with 2 going side to side.  I think a small elephant would be supported by this arrangement. (Note: Before landscape fabric was installed.)
Business member new to SFG Community! Table_17

Here's a 4' by 4' bed with landscape fabric installed.
Business member new to SFG Community! Table_18

Finally, shot of the underside of the 4x4 showing the supports and hardware cloth, etc.
Business member new to SFG Community! Table_19

Because I'm the consumer here, the appearance was not a major consideration.  LU's look much better than mine.  The paint is the same color as the trim on the house.  I will add shelves underneath and have designed a potting bench to be attached to one of the beds' ends.

Last edited by rabbithutch on 5/29/2014, 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 5/29/2014, 4:27 pm

Nice looking boxes! I admire your craftsmanship.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch 5/29/2014, 4:37 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:Nice looking boxes!  I admire your craftsmanship.

You are too kind, Marc.

I consider these to be rather crude but very sturdy.  Having worked as a youth helping framing crews build houses, I have some knowledge of the basics but I lack the patience for real finesse.

Thank you for the compliment. Embarassed
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Back to top Go down

Business member new to SFG Community! Empty Potting Bench Addition to Table Top

Post  rabbithutch 5/29/2014, 4:56 pm

Here are a couple of concept drawings for the potting bench I will add to one of my TTs.  The first pic shows it as it would be in use.  The second shows how it attaches to the TT.

Business member new to SFG Community! Pottin10

In the drawings, the dark, dark green is the leg assembly on the TT.  Everything else is the potting bench and shelves.  The bench will be built attached to a 2x4 cross piece which will be bolted to the leg assembly.  The shelf supports are to be 2x4s bolted to the leg assembly on each side and to the bed.  Not all shelf brackets are drawn but you can get the idea from the ones shown.
Business member new to SFG Community! Pottin11
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Back to top Go down

Post  LUAgriculture 5/29/2014, 6:03 pm

sanderson wrote:They are all good looking.  I love the mailboxes.  It looks like you notched out one side of the top of the 4x4 post.  ??

Hi Sanderson,

Yes, I notched out the 4x4 posts so the box rests in the notched area and then is screwed in from the side.  I countersink the screws and plug the holes to give it a nice finished look.

Thanks for the compliments.
LUAgriculture
LUAgriculture

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 9/13/2014, 2:55 pm

LU and RH,
your boxes look great...I may have changed my mind on my design.

LU,
Your website mentions that you use "food grade hdpe plastic sheets" can you elaborate on what that is and where you get it.

Also, can you share some pictures of the interior of your box w/o soil.

Thanks,
Jim
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1314

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 9/13/2014, 3:03 pm

LU and RH,
your boxes look great...I may have changed my mind on my design.

LU,
Your website mentions that you use "food grade hdpe plastic sheets" can you elaborate on what that is and where you get it.

Also, can you share some pictures of the interior of your box w/o soil.

Thanks,
Jim
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1314

Back to top Go down

Post  FeedMeSeeMore 9/14/2014, 9:13 am

I love how you made the boxes perfectly sit on the slanted brick walkway.
FeedMeSeeMore
FeedMeSeeMore

Female Posts : 143

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down