Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 38 Toplef10Potatoes - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 38 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 38 I22gcj10Potatoes - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 38 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 38 Toplef10Potatoes - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 38 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 38 I22gcj10Potatoes - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 38 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+29
jan76
GWN
Gardening Barbie
Turan
Judy McConnell
Kelejan
rillgardens
68carguy
FamilyGardening
yolos
walshevak
mazzy
CapeCoddess
Rosbelle
AtlantaMarie
llama momma
PNG_Grandma
paul_vanderwerf
ehaffner1
boffer
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
Mary429
camprn
audrey.jeanne.roberts
keepercjr
sanderson
33 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Potatoes - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 38 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  Kelejan 9/8/2015, 2:26 pm

Audrey, I remember flying into L.A. for the first time many years ago and could hardly see it due to the purple haze I was warned about.

If your area is ten times worse then I really feel for you and your daughter and everyone else there.    I wish I could share some of the rain we are now having that has pushed all reporting of our fires out of the news, thank goodness.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 38 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 9/8/2015, 9:06 pm

Just checked the weather forecast. Wed 106*F, Thurs 107, Friday 107, Sat 102 and Sun 101. After that it dips below 100. Shocked

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/9/2015, 2:39 am

Another fire, this one in the Yosemite National Park - Teneya area. The air pollution is spiking into the Red, Hazardous for Everyone.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/10/2015, 1:57 am

Well, Audrey, when it "rains" it really pours!  A third fire, now, and this one is in your backyard! What a Face   http://abc30.com/news/wildfire-burns-in-squaw-valley-area/104266/

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 9/10/2015, 12:44 pm

The Rough fire is doing things fire shouldn't and doesn't do.  Even their computers can't predict what it's going to do, it has done things it had a 2% chance of doing... It's a very dangerous one and it's creeping close to the mountain communities up here.  Those of you that believe in prayer - please stand in our behalf.

There is an evacuation warning in place for the upper communities above us, which means they are getting any and all livestock out of the area, cleaning up around their homes and taking out what they need to to be able to evacuate quickly on a moment's notice.  

We are still quite a ways away and not under any type of warning.  However, I am carefully gathering a pile of important things to go with us so that if/when there's a problem there's a little less stress involved.  

The smoke is overwhelming, I can't work in my garden except for watering it.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/10/2015, 12:57 pm

Audrey, you post made me cry. Sad
Hugs and prayers.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/10/2015, 2:13 pm

Audrey, Is your daughter still there? and grandkiddies? I'm guessing the SqV fire was easy to put out. ??

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 9/10/2015, 6:28 pm

Audrey, I hope and pray that you don't get word to evacuate. A few years back we had the same situation in my area and Cal fire had a sort of town hall meeting to fill us in on the status of the fire and also gave us a rundown of the essentials to take should we get word to evacuate (2 hours advance notice, should things turn to fudge). Among the obvious- clothes, and valuables- we were reminded to take all legal papers, tax records, property titles, and any medications. It was real scary to watch the fire advance on us, but Cal Fire managed to keep us safe.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 38 Empty northern california

Post  kauairosina 9/10/2015, 6:38 pm

My very best thoughts and wishes go out to you Audrey.  I pray you stay safe and the air clears up and your garden and family thrive.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 9/10/2015, 9:14 pm

Our family visitors left on Saturday morning, our daughter goes back to college on Wed.  

The fire continues to grow.  The family that runs cattle on our extra property had to go get their cows from their summer pasture and bring them here a month early (which adds up $ on feeding them hay).  At least they are out of danger for now.

The small fire took much longer than anticipated, but is in mop up stage right now.  

We are starting to gather anything important so that we aren't stressing if anything happens.  Thanks for the prayers and hugs - both are needed  I love you
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/12/2015, 3:35 am

PS Audrey, I sent you a PM.

Now we have a fire in the Gold Rush area, Highway 49. It's called 49 because 1849 was the gold rush that really changed California. I can smell the smoke from the Kings Canyon fire (near Audrey) tonight.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/12/2015, 6:05 am

You have my best hopes and wishes Audrey. I hope you stay safe and that your worries get smaller instead of bigger as this fire season goes on.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/12/2015, 8:41 pm

Childhood memories of Driving Highway 49 through these little gold rush towns. As an adult, stopping twice in Sutter Creek for marinated baby carrots and root beer in frosted mugs. Every summer spent with my cousin and her parents in Sequoia National Forest.

http://www.scpr.org/news/2015/09/10/54321/big-and-small-cats-evacuated-as-large-california-f/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2015/09/11/how-crews-are-protecting-californias-ancient-giant-sequoias-from-a-raging-wildfire/

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/12/2015, 9:08 pm

Prayers coming your way, Californians. And for the brave men and women fighting those fires as well. And maybe a little help from Mother Nature....(rain dance)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/12/2015, 9:32 pm

Thank you. 10-20% chance of rain Monday. rofl

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/13/2015, 2:06 am

Along Highway 49. http://www.abc10.com/story/news/local/2015/09/11/fire-forces-mandatory-evacuations-some-residents-too-big-move/72102404/

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/14/2015, 3:18 am

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/official-at-least-100-homes-destroyed-by-california-blaze/ar-AAeewYZ?li=AAa0dzB#image=BBll0UU|1

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/16/2015, 4:13 am

Green grasshoppers everywhere now.  Here is one that just shed his exoskeleton. He is to the right of the exokeleton.Potatoes - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 38 Grassh10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/16/2015, 6:28 am

Oh dear....not good!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/21/2015, 4:05 am

Yardslave, How is the Monterey/Seaside fire doing? Are you affected?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 9/21/2015, 11:36 am

The fire along the Monterey-Salinas Highway[68] is contained and a house sustained some damage, but many homes in the area were saved; However, the Cachagua fire has taken one life and 12 homes and many other ranch and vineyard structures were lost. The residents were given a mandate to leave immediately by the Sheriff. People fled with what they could grab and run. The Carmel Valley fire blew up out of control quickly as the Hwy 68 fire was given all fire fighting resources due to it's population density. Once the Hwy 68 fire was contained, choppers and crewmen were dispatched to fight the Cachagua fire which by then was way beyond containment. Both blazes left my area with only 1 way out of the valley, so things are tense as the whole sky resembles an atomic bomb blast.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/21/2015, 12:13 pm

Tassajara fire or Cachagua fire? Is the Tassajara fire the one on 168 and the Cachagua fire the one in Carmel Valley? I ask because I tried to Bing "Carmel Fire" and all I could find was a Twitter report. Your area is being under reported. I'm praying for your safety and home.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/21/2015, 11:06 pm

Good luck, yardslave. I know how frightening fires can be. Just the smoke alone can be very dangerous.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 9/22/2015, 11:57 am

Sorry, it's pretty confusing, but the Tassahara fire is in the Cachagua area. The fire is named after the road where the fire started, the 168 fire was by the old Fort Ord area, to the North. The fire is 65% contained now, but it's pretty smoky here. My friends were allowed back in to see if their home was spared, and found that the fire crews had set up around the house and it was alright, but the entire area surrounding it was totally scorched, all the hose bibs and irrigation sprinklers were melted it was so hot!
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 9/23/2015, 1:02 am

Our fire "The Rough Fire" is close to being contained now.  The past few days have been smokey again as they've been back burning some of the areas where the fire could still jump the line.  73% containment currently.  It won't be fully dealt with until we get some good long cold stretches or rain.  It's growing much more slowly though, thank God.

I'm afraid I'm going to be too late now on most of what I wanted to plant for fall, but I'm going to give it a go anyway.

How are you guys doing?
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next