Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning Toplef10Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning I22gcj10Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning Toplef10Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning I22gcj10Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning

+3
sanderson
CapeCoddess
Judy McConnell
7 posters

Go down

Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning Empty Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning

Post  Judy McConnell 9/4/2013, 11:38 am

Have a fig tree that has grown to about 20' tall and it needs pruning:
1) to get it off a flat roof
2) bring it back to a height that I can reach more easily

Should I begin pruning NOW or should I wait until winter? 
Know that if we have a really bad freeze, it will die to ground and maybe even kill the tree. The past 2-3 winters here have been really mild so nothing has hurt it.

How much should be pruned at one time??
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning Empty Re: Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning

Post  CapeCoddess 9/4/2013, 12:10 pm

An organic farmer in our area pruned his Brown Turkey within the last month or so.  He cut every branch right back to a fig.  Then he planted all those trimmings and is growing new trees for sale in the future.

Is your tree in the ground in zone 7 or zone 6?  I ask because I have one and can't decide whether to put it in the ground or leave it in it gigantic pot.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning Empty Re: Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning

Post  Judy McConnell 9/4/2013, 3:50 pm

CapeCoddess - we're in Zone 7 and I did take a chance on removing this fig from a pot to the ground, but we are protected by other houses around us.

Thanks for the info about your neighbor.
THe tree, looking out our back door:
Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning Outthebackdoor_zps67b0b9b2

Looking at the tree from our porch roof.  See where the tree is pushing down the railing.
Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning Onflatroof_zps0360b151

Closeup of some figs/tree:
Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning Closeup_zpsb49e9f64
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/4/2013, 4:30 pm

Great looking fig tree! I love dried figs.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning Empty When all else fails, YouTube it...

Post  dcurry9541 9/4/2013, 5:54 pm

I just planted a couple of Brown Turkey fig trees this year - Zone 7a.  Neighbors have had them die back to the ground in previous years, but then grow back just as strong the next year.

There are many good fig tree videos on YouTube.  Several about pruning, and several about propagating your cuttings! 

I would recommend taking a look there and see if some of those don't answer your questions...

Don
dcurry9541
dcurry9541

Back to top Go down

Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning Empty Don't have to worry about pruning

Post  Judy McConnell 5/4/2014, 9:56 am

Unfortunately this really bad past winter caused the fig tree to die and now it is time to saw up the remains.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/4/2014, 10:20 am

Judy McConnell wrote:Unfortunately this really bad past winter caused the fig tree to die and now it is time to saw up the remains.

Don't count it out yet.  Cut down almost to the ground and see if new growth will come up from the root.  I dug up and planted a fig from a neighbor's house late last summer and thought it died even before the cold hit.  Yesterday I was getting ready to dig it up and put a blueberry bush in its place when I spotted a tiny bit of growth.  So I'm waiting for another month.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/4/2014, 12:39 pm

walshevak wrote:
Judy McConnell wrote:Unfortunately this really bad past winter caused the fig tree to die and now it is time to saw up the remains.

Don't count it out yet.  Cut down almost to the ground and see if new growth will come up from the root.  I dug up and planted a fig from a neighbor's house late last summer and thought it died even before the cold hit.  Yesterday I was getting ready to dig it up and put a blueberry bush in its place when I spotted a tiny bit of growth.  So I'm waiting for another month.

Kay
Hmm.  Interesting that this came up as I was perusing websites about turkey figs right before coming onto the forum.  I was thinking that mine is dead from exposure due to that lousy winter we just had.  But then I decided to pull it out of the pot and trim the roots and re-pot it into a smaller pot to see what happens.  There's also a very slight chance that a couple of the cuttings I planted when pruning this brand new plant last fall (to within an inch of its life) have taken.  I probably shouldn't mess with any of them but I really want to know if anything survived. 

The only thing stopping me are the gusts to about 40 that we are experiencing right now...grrrr...
 Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning 3868
Judy, I vote with Kay to cut the tree and leave the roots.  It was such a beauty and looked so healthy.  If it regrows you have another chance at keeping it smaller.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 5/4/2014, 1:17 pm

THanks, Gals - I'm going to give the tree until 6/1 because when I cut off a branch there was green (pholem?) inside the bark.  Reading indicated that this "might" indicate the tree is still alive so I'll wait a bit.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/4/2014, 1:41 pm

It sounds like your tree has a chance, good luck!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 6/27/2014, 11:47 am

So I waited and waited and discovered little green sprouts ALL over the base of the once beautiful fig tree.  Had a local man cut off the dead branches and this is what was left:
Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning June192014013_zps4f686125

Should I break off the weaker sprouts or just leave things alone?
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch 6/27/2014, 1:06 pm

Yeah!  The Brown Turkey LIVES!!!

In answer to your question (from someone who knows nothing about figs), I'd leave it alone for another couple of months and see if any of the shoots lose vigor.  My guess is that at some point in the future you will have to address some of those large stems which are likely to show some signs of decay over time.

You are doing the right thing by watching specific vids on YouTube and searching the web for information.

With luck, someone who knows figs will come along and give you a better answer.
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/27/2014, 2:38 pm

From someone who knows nothing about fig trees: At this point I would leave it alone for this summer. Each leaf is making energy for the tree. I'm guessing that fig trees can be pruned in the winter or early spring. You can decide at that time which sucker/sprout should remain as you slowly shape your tree over the next handful of years. I agree that at some point, you will know if some of those large limbs will make it.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/27/2014, 3:00 pm

Judy, that's quite a comeback your tree is making! Mine is regrowing also after that awful winter. I thought for sure it was a goner. Just this morning I was trying to decide about whether to cut off the old branches or not but landscaper neighbor friend of mine told me to wait as they will probably sprout. So I'm going to wait.
Help! Brown turkey fig tree needs pruning Img_2015
Still haven't made up my mind about whether to plant it in the ground or not. I'm thinking if it can make it thru that last winter in a pot it will probably do fine in the ground. Any thoughts?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 6/27/2014, 6:08 pm

CC - mine lived in a pot for its first five years and then it went into the ground.  It really took off and grew and grew.

My guess is that yours is small enough that you will be able to cover it with blankets, straw bales, etc. this coming winter.

One thing that I didn't do was keep the plant small enough to protect it during winters and ended up paying the price.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/28/2014, 1:08 pm

I just bought 3 varieties of fig seedlings from Baker Creek.  I'm in zone 8 where all varieties are hardy, but I'm still starting them in pots this year.  I'll put them against the south wall of the house this winter, next to the foundation and hope it absorbs enough heat to keep them alive. My reading seems to indicate that zone 7 starts the iffy hardiness.

My neighbor's fig tree looked dead after this past winter, but it has leafed out and has a lot of growth out of the roots.  He pruned it way back early in the spring.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down