Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can anyone help me with 'my' peat moss ? Toplef10Can anyone help me with 'my' peat moss ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can anyone help me with 'my' peat moss ? I22gcj10Can anyone help me with 'my' peat moss ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can anyone help me with 'my' peat moss ? Toplef10Can anyone help me with 'my' peat moss ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can anyone help me with 'my' peat moss ? I22gcj10Can anyone help me with 'my' peat moss ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Can anyone help me with 'my' peat moss ?

2 posters

Go down

Can anyone help me with 'my' peat moss ? Empty Can anyone help me with 'my' peat moss ?

Post  Nain de Jardin 6/10/2013, 7:02 pm

Hi gardeners
by now I have installed four sfg, three for my use and one for a friend. So far everything went fine and I'm absolutely delighted with my squares (I shall post photos soon!)

Just a detail is bothering me. I bought peat moss under the form of compressed squared packed material (equal to 50 litters once fluffed), from a French import salesman. This is labelled as Sphaigne du Chili (sphagnum from Chile). Botanical name is Sphagnum, (also in English), commonly called peat moss. Searching on the web I learned it is the living part of moss which is harvested, dried and pressed.

My question is: the peat moss I bought is whole, not crushed. After un-compacting it, one can distinctively see the main stem, with tightly arranged clusters of branch fascicles.

So the final mix (once added composts and vermiculite) is a bit "coarse". Material is not flowing through fingers as shown in the how-to video, but rather forms 'clusters'.
After being damped, there is also a noticeable compaction, I would say around 70%.
A part from that, I would say the peat moss is of good quality. I didn't find any other sources for peat moss here, and would be very disappointed if I had to throw it away, considering also the fact that it traveled half the globe.

So my questions are:
- Is some compaction normal, even with Mel's mix or is it due to the fact the the peat moss is whole?
- Is there a way to crush whole peat moss by mechanical means? I was thinking of putting it in a hog machine (don't own one). Has anyone experienced with such?

A part from that every vegetable is growing and developing fine (the main problem being unusual low temperatures we are having here this spring!).

Thanks for taking time to answer,
Karine
Can anyone help me with 'my' peat moss ? Sphagn11
Nain de Jardin
Nain de Jardin

Female Posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Can anyone help me with 'my' peat moss ? Empty Re: Can anyone help me with 'my' peat moss ?

Post  dvelten 6/10/2013, 9:45 pm

Hi Karine,

I think you are correct, the product you bought is dried spaghnum moss, not peat moss. It is used to grow orchids (and worms for fishing). The peat moss available in the US is Canadian peat, the dead moss from the bottom of a bog and is dried and milled (ground) to a fine powder. The bales of peat we buy are much heavier than the bale of moss you bought, even though they may be close to the the same volume, simply because there is more air in the moss.

The purpose of peat in Mel's Mix is to lighten the mix, retain water, and improve the cation exchange ratio. Your moss will do the same but will probably compress more because there is more air and less material to it. If your beds are working and plants are growing well, then I would not worry. If you have a good source of compost based on plant material, you could add more of that to supply extra fiber and humus to the beds and increase the volume.
dvelten
dvelten

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 155

http://davessfggarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down