Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help! Toplef10Help! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help! I22gcj10Help! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help! Toplef10Help! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help! I22gcj10Help! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help!

+3
walshevak
Lemonie
ahbishop
7 posters

Go down

Help! Empty Help!

Post  ahbishop 6/4/2013, 11:06 am

Hi! I am new to gardening and SFG, and I planted a lot haha. I have two abraham lincoln tomato plants, two red pisa date tomato plants with suspect leaves. With the lincoln tomatoes, each set of two leaves closest to the MM are discolored; they look like they have yellowish/discolored patches. The rest of the leaves are fine. Something similar on my date tomatoes. I also have one squash plant that is green but stopped growing 2 weeks ago, and one squash plant that got one blossom, but then it seems to have stopped growing - that plant also has one leaf that has turned brown around the edges.

With regard to the tomato plants (they are very short - i started with seeds; the lincoln tomato plants are about 6-8 inches tall - the date tomato plants are 4 inches tall - what should I do what could be causing this?

With regard to the squash plants - I have no idea if this is normal, etc. I was going to dig up the one that hasn't grown and plant something else but since it is still green i wasn't sure? Someone told me tap water's chlorine content could cause the brown edges but it seems un economical to water them with distilled water...

Thanks! I live in Chesapeake VA if that helps!

ahbishop
ahbishop

Female Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Help! Empty Re: Help!

Post  Lemonie 6/4/2013, 12:22 pm

Hi ahbishop and glad you\'re here to the forum and SFG!!! happy hi

There are several factors that could be leading to the issues you are seeing and the best way to get more accurate answers is to post pics of your plants and tell us a bit more about your garden...like how you put together your soil and weather conditions. Are the yellowing leaves the seedling leaves or true leaves? Tomatoes are not my expertise, but there are many here who are VERY knowledgeable in this area.

As for your squash, what type of squash, was is transplanted or direct sown and when was it planted?

Again, posting pics is your best bet! (Plus, we LOVE seeing everyone's gardens. Smile )
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  ahbishop 6/4/2013, 12:31 pm

I will take some pics and post when i get home!

As for my soil, it is MM - 3 dif kinds of compost in there. I haven't fertilized or added anything since assembling and planting. Two of the tomato plants are transplants (the two with the issue). All of the squash I had to replant because the transplants died. We had a rainy spell (long down pours) about a week ago, but since then I have been watering every evening, about a cup per plant - less with newly sprouted seedlings.
ahbishop
ahbishop

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 6/4/2013, 12:52 pm

Your MM could be the issue as the recipe calls for 5 different types and the 3 are likely not sufficient nutrients. I did this my 1st season to save $ and because it was difficult tracking down the 5 types. It has taken me 2 more years to keep amending those boxes to be sufficient for growing. What types of compost did you use? I ended up having too much manure and not enough variety of other types. I had also made the mistake of not reading the labels well enough and had too much peat moss because some of my bags were a compost/peat mix. silly me This year, I added some store bought compost to a bed (because my homemade wasn't ready) and discovered it: 1) wasn't finished compost and 2) had a lot of sand in it....this has compacted my soil, robbed my plants of nitrogen and stunted the growth in all of them. So glad I only used it in one small bed and not all of them.

It may be beneficial to do a soil test, but others should chime in on their thoughts after seeing pics.
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/4/2013, 6:24 pm

I'm just 50 miles south of you and I know we have had some strange weather during May - really hot then almost freezing a couple of nights. And the heavy rains in Hampton Rhodes. Some of my tomatos are still small. So are my peppers. Squash doesn't like cold. The weather is finally deciding to even out as HOT and my plants have just starting bursting out.

But I also agree that you may nutrient problems as the underlying problem. You can try compost tea or a top dressing of some good compost blend. What composts did you use. Maybe we can figger out a better blend for you.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 6/4/2013, 10:51 pm

It could be your mix but also could be weather related. I know that my tomatoes, pumpkins, and pepper look terrible. I believe it is because we have had almost two weeks worth of rain and barely any Sun. Today the Sun finally came out and it felt warmer out. When I checked my plants they looked better not by much as my husband told me they look terrible. I know that these crops love Sun and warmth so maybe just trim the worst looking leaves and wait for some nice warm days to see if they perk up. Also adding more compost to the top of you mix and watering it in wouldn't hurt either.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Help! Empty Pics of plants and thanks

Post  ahbishop 6/4/2013, 11:13 pm

I am not really sure of how to upload my pics...

And thanks to everyone for the great info! As soon as I can figure out this impage thing, I will upload them!
ahbishop
ahbishop

Back to top Go down

Post  ArkansasSFGardener 6/5/2013, 10:38 am

It could be your mix, but I doubt it... Seems like it is more of a weather problem to me... I only have 2 types of compost and my plants are going crazy! I would say snip the browning leaves off and continue...
ArkansasSFGardener
ArkansasSFGardener

Male Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/5/2013, 12:34 pm

My suspicion is a nitrogen deficiency. Seems to be a common problem - at least it happened to me anyway! According to this article nitrogen is an elusive element. *lol* If you read it, tomatoes and squash are among the list of heavy nitrogen feeders. Also it describes yellowing of the oldest leaves (that would be the ones you mentioned closest to the Mel's Mix) and in their words, indolent growth, as symptoms - both of which you're describing. Indolent means slow or lazy, but in my case, I had perfectly healthy looking plants that just sat there week after week and didn't grow one bit.

Nitrogen is what plants need to literally build themselves. The growth of a new seedling can be deceiving because the seed itself contains all the nutrients it needs to sprout and grow for the first while. That's why seeds can sprout and grow in a sterile mix (or on a moist paper towel, for instance).

gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ahbishop 6/5/2013, 10:09 pm

Thanks gwennifer!

I decided to start small - I got some organic nitrogen only additive and treated my garden tonight. cross your fingers! As far as everyone else's suggestions, I have them on a list and if one thing doesn't work I am going to move on to the next! I am excited and hoping all of this works!
ahbishop
ahbishop

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/6/2013, 11:37 am

First glad you\'re here ahbishop to the forum.
On the first page of this forum there is a topic that is named "HOW TO". The last topic in this thread is the one you need to use. Here is a direct link to that thread topic.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t129-how-to-post-a-picture-located-on-your-computer
I have to add a few steps due to my OS and security settings: I have to click "allow access" after clicking copy and before I click the "upload" link.
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum