Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.) Toplef10HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.) I22gcj10HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.) Toplef10HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.) I22gcj10HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.)

5 posters

Go down

HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.) Empty HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.)

Post  jjlonsdale 5/5/2013, 2:32 pm

Hello everyone,

Something had been chomping big holes in my squares of mesclun mix, but I hadn't seen anything that could be responsible... until today! Caught him in the act!

HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.) Caterp10

I think it's some kind of armyworm... which causes some alarm, as Wikipedia says, "Its name is derived from its feeding habits. They will eat everything in an area and once the food supply is exhausted the entire "army" will move to the next available food source." Shocked Shocked Shocked

I've also discovered a veritable infestation of gnats in the leaves of my bibb lettuce. They don't seem to be doing any harm... and one of the heads has a ladybug that's gorging on them... but there are just so many!!! Anyone had experience with this?

HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.) Gnats_10

HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.) Gnats_12

My plan is to give everything a great big dousing of neem (a few tablespoons in a spray bottle of water, with a drop of soap to help it mix). Any reasons why I shouldn't do that, or suggestions of what might be most effective?

Many thanks,
JJ

Last edited by jjlonsdale on 5/5/2013, 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed picture)
jjlonsdale
jjlonsdale

Back to top Go down

HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.) Empty Re: HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.)

Post  sanderson 5/5/2013, 2:52 pm

I'm going to be following this topic, for sure! Have you tried a dish soap and water spray, first? Before you go to neem oil? Something is eating my beet tops. I have 2 varieties, one known for the beet root and one known for the greens. I don't mind neem oil on root plants but hesitate on greens. Of course, I planted them in alternating rows (16/sq ft) so I can't spray separately. I think it's called "first year learning curve!"

Let us know how things turn out. P. S. good photos
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.) Empty Re: HA! Found what's been eating my lettuce! (Also, a gnat question.)

Post  Triciasgarden 5/5/2013, 9:40 pm

Good job JJ finding that army worm and the gnats! Too bad you don't have a mini vacuum to vacuum them up! I hope that you don't have a ton of army worms to deal with, then you would really have to get into battle mode with them!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 5/5/2013, 10:55 pm

From what I understand, neem oil can harm bees if applied during times that they're active.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 5/6/2013, 12:19 am

BT(Bacillus thuringiensis) is a safe, effective method of eliminating your garden or field of the armyworm & other caterpillers such as the tomato hornworm without environmental concerns.
There are several brands - Thuricide & Safer brand are two. I just got the Safer Brand at Lowes.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum