Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
potato - cool idea for growing potatoes Toplef10potato - cool idea for growing potatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

potato - cool idea for growing potatoes I22gcj10potato - cool idea for growing potatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
potato - cool idea for growing potatoes Toplef10potato - cool idea for growing potatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

potato - cool idea for growing potatoes I22gcj10potato - cool idea for growing potatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

cool idea for growing potatoes

+22
gwennifer
LittleGardener
Goosegirl
yolos
Hoggar
bnoles
Triciasgarden
llama momma
GWN
johnsonjlj
southern gardener
Pepper
clightowler
Lavender Debs
SFGHQSTAFF
cdedriver
RoOsTeR
VJ72584
littlejo
cheyannarach
camprn
jazzycat
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

potato - cool idea for growing potatoes Empty cool idea for growing potatoes

Post  jazzycat 4/30/2013, 7:51 pm

Just saw this and thought it was cool.

https://urbanfarmerseward.posterous.com/potato-towers-and-living-fence-posts
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

potato - cool idea for growing potatoes Empty Re: cool idea for growing potatoes

Post  camprn 4/30/2013, 7:58 pm

Good post, Thanks. Very Happy I may choose to employ this idea because I am so far behind in rebuilding my beds. Rolling Eyes

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

potato - cool idea for growing potatoes WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

potato - cool idea for growing potatoes Empty Re: cool idea for growing potatoes

Post  cheyannarach 4/30/2013, 9:55 pm

That's very cool! Got my brain thinking now! I just might free up some extra SFG space this way!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 4/30/2013, 10:57 pm

The living fencepost is from a Sycamore tree. To get a straight row of trees, just make a fence of sycamore logs, they don't have to be direct off the tree. I don't think you can kill the life out of the tree.

I just don't think that potatoes grow very well for me, towers, boxes, beds. I may try 1 living fencepost, just to see if I can get it to work!
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

potato - cool idea for growing potatoes Empty Potato Tower

Post  VJ72584 4/30/2013, 11:26 pm

I am trying something similar. I have planted three towers made the same way, but I have a double thickness of landscape fabric around the outside, not straw. They have grown over the top of the fence now but they haven't bloomed yet. I'm worried that it will soon get too hot here and that may affect the yield. I've never done this before. I only put in one layer of potatoes and then added dirt a couple times as they grew. Trial and error, but that's usually how I learn.
VJ72584
VJ72584

Female Posts : 99

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/1/2013, 8:10 am

Hmm, I like it! I wasn't planning on doing potatoes this year, but I'm very interested in trying this out. I'll have to see if I can find some good seed taters now though. I did notice on Sunday when I bought my onion sets, the seed taters were slim pickins.

potato - cool idea for growing potatoes Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/1/2013, 8:20 am

RoOsTeR wrote:Hmm, I like it! I wasn't planning on doing potatoes this year, but I'm very interested in trying this out. I'll have to see if I can find some good seed taters now though. I did notice on Sunday when I bought my onion sets, the seed taters were slim pickins.
Is the store going to get more seed taters?
I bought a few seed potatoes at the grocery store (yukon gold and blue something), but I have white potatoes in the pantry starting to put out eyes, I am going to plant those this year. May as well, eh? Wink

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

potato - cool idea for growing potatoes WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/1/2013, 8:25 am

Is the store going to get more seed taters?
Don't know? That garden center is just down the road, and I have bought their potatoes in the past just cause they're certified, and I also found at last year, they come from a local place that I believe Havv turned me on to that I never knew existed here in Colorado.

potato - cool idea for growing potatoes Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  cdedriver 5/1/2013, 2:53 pm

That link doesn't work for me? I get a page that indicates posterous is going away.... Sad
cdedriver
cdedriver

Female Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/1/2013, 3:27 pm

cdedriver wrote:That link doesn't work for me? I get a page that indicates posterous is going away.... Sad
Oh BUMMER! it worked yesterday, here is alink that explains the use of the wire cage to grow potatoes in a somewhat vertical fashion. Not as nice as the phtos in the original link, but you get the idea.
http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Potatoes-in-a-Wire-Cage

http://artofnaturalliving.com/2011/05/01/the-lazy-persons-potato-garden/

http://www.hillgardens.com/potatoes.htm

Last edited by camprn on 5/1/2013, 3:34 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added links and correced spelling)

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cdedriver 5/1/2013, 3:31 pm

Thanks, camprn!
cdedriver
cdedriver

Female Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/1/2013, 3:33 pm

cdedriver wrote:Thanks, camprn!
I added a few more links how to growing potatoes in cages method.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

potato - cool idea for growing potatoes Empty Potato Tower

Post  VJ72584 5/11/2013, 9:17 pm

The plants in my towers have finally started to bloom. Doesn't look like there will be a lot of blooms - at least not yet. Any idea how much longer it will be until I have potatoes ready?

potato - cool idea for growing potatoes Potato11
VJ72584
VJ72584

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 5/11/2013, 11:05 pm

I just wanted to let you guys know that I love that you think outside the box. Great idea!
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Male Posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/12/2013, 9:40 am

cdedriver wrote:That link doesn't work for me? I get a page that indicates posterous is going away.... Sad
I got the same message. Did the picture look anything like this?
potato - cool idea for growing potatoes Potato10
Saved it to my FB page back in March because I thought it was kewl. Just realized I did not use the idea when I planted.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 5/12/2013, 7:54 pm

Bummer. Sorry about the link not working anymore. I don't know what happened to it. I'll see if I can't run it down somewhere else.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

potato - cool idea for growing potatoes Empty Potato Blooms

Post  VJ72584 5/21/2013, 9:40 pm

I have a question since I never tried growing potatoes before. The potatoes in the towers have only had a couple blooms on them. I believe they have all been from one tower. The plants are still green and pretty as ever, but don't they have to bloom? I planted two squares in a top hat in the 4 x 8 bed and they have grown huge and have lots of blooms. It's starting to get hot here, maybe it's too hot now?
VJ72584
VJ72584

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 5/21/2013, 10:48 pm

No, it's not too hot yet, but some shade would work well.
Supposedly, when the plant flowers, you can stick your hand(gently) in to the bottom of the plant, and get a few new potatoes. Try not to disturb too much. Leave the plants til they die down, then, you should have a crop of potatoes. I think it usually takes about 100 days even in the SC heat. I have had a few plants that never did flower.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  clightowler 5/21/2013, 11:09 pm

I built a potato box a couple of years ago, but haven't had much success with it so far. Only about half a dozen potatoes each year! Shocked Going to try it again, this year, using MM instead of just regular soil. And I'm going to make sure I keep up with the watering this time!

For those that have done this, how tall should I let the plant get before I add more soil each time, and how much should I bury?

potato - cool idea for growing potatoes Potato10
clightowler
clightowler

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 5/22/2013, 12:04 am

Not all potatoes work in towers; their are indeterminate and determinant potatoes just like tomatoes. Finding which is which is the trick.

Potatoes will start to die back; start laying over getting yellow even dying. This is normal as the top dies back the tubers develop. When they die completely it is time to pick.
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 5/22/2013, 12:55 am

Pepper wrote:Not all potatoes work in towers; their are indeterminate and determinant potatoes just like tomatoes. Finding which is which is the trick.

Potatoes will start to die back; start laying over getting yellow even dying. This is normal as the top dies back the tubers develop. When they die completely it is time to pick.

I didn't know about determinate and indeterminate potatoes! how can you tell the difference? bounce bounce Learn something new every day!! potato - cool idea for growing potatoes 3170584802
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  johnsonjlj 5/22/2013, 3:53 am

I've never tried it, but I read that the late season varieties are the type to do in the potato boxes in order to get a lot of potatoes. I saw a ton of videos on youtube where people had not been successful with it and it turns out they planted an early season variety which don't grow potatoes all the way up the stem.
johnsonjlj
johnsonjlj

Back to top Go down

potato - cool idea for growing potatoes Empty Tomato Tower

Post  VJ72584 5/22/2013, 8:33 am

I'm going to hang in there then and see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'd probably try it again because it has been so easy. Next time I'll research the potato varieties a little more.

Clightowler - I let them get about 6-8 inches tall and then covered about half the plant in soil. I think I did that twice and finally I added pine straw. My fence was about 30 inches tall. I had a bag of "garden soil" in the shed and started with about 6 inches of that. When the plants had grown a little I had my Mel's Mix ready and finished with that.
VJ72584
VJ72584

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/22/2013, 9:32 am

VERY COOL WAY TO GROW POTATOES

This is a very cool video I saw on how to grow potatoes and at the same time get rid of an area of lawn, without having to dig it up. Keep in mind it is australia and so make necessary adjustments for MONTHS... Very Happy
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 5/22/2013, 2:03 pm

+1 to what johnsonjlj said. I tried "tater tires" ( https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t11554-tater-tires?highlight=tater+tires ) last year without success. During my trials I ran across the "indeterminate and determinant potatoes just like tomatoes" analogy. I never did come across a definitive explanation nor positive variety classification; that I can remember. The consensus was as stated above "late season varieties" produce tubers above the immediate level as the 'seed' cutting.
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next