Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Baby toms - first time from seed - Page 2 Toplef10Baby toms - first time from seed - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Baby toms - first time from seed - Page 2 I22gcj10Baby toms - first time from seed - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Baby toms - first time from seed - Page 2 Toplef10Baby toms - first time from seed - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Baby toms - first time from seed - Page 2 I22gcj10Baby toms - first time from seed - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Baby toms - first time from seed

+12
Triciasgarden
chjbr63
RoOsTeR
javaaddict
edfhinton
R&R 1011
jazzycat
Windmere
bnoles
bwaynef
audrey.jeanne.roberts
llama momma
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Baby toms - first time from seed - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby toms - first time from seed

Post  jazzycat 5/2/2013, 11:47 pm

hehe You can fix anything with duct tape, can't you. What a Face
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Baby toms - first time from seed - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby toms - first time from seed

Post  R&R 1011 5/3/2013, 12:32 pm

Haha, I like the way you think! It looks like only 3 got really damaged, so should be good to go.
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/3/2013, 8:44 pm

Duct tape, he he!

Sounds like you all are doing great!

I planted tomatoes the beginning of March and none of them are much more than 2" tall. I did use MM from one of my beds but my soil was made the old way. So should I transplant these into potting soil so it is lighter soil and maybe they can try to get bigger or go buy starts that are already growing like they should? My last frost date is in 8 days.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 5/4/2013, 12:09 am

Triciasgarden wrote:Duct tape, he he!

Sounds like you all are doing great!

I planted tomatoes the beginning of March and none of them are much more than 2" tall. I did use MM from one of my beds but my soil was made the old way. So should I transplant these into potting soil so it is lighter soil and maybe they can try to get bigger or go buy starts that are already growing like they should? My last frost date is in 8 days.
What is the old MM formula? A few of my tomatoes and pepper plants are small. Im, personally, going to plant them in my boxes as is. When I up potted my tomatoes in MM they took off and got huge in a matter of days. If you can get your current MM up to par, I think your seedlings will be fine.
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/4/2013, 3:22 am

Triciasgarden wrote:Duct tape, he he!

So should I transplant these into potting soil so it is lighter soil and maybe they can try to get bigger or go buy starts that are already growing like they should?
Wish I had a valid opinion but it's the first year growing toms and peppers from seed. :scratch:
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/4/2013, 10:58 am

Triciasgarden wrote:

If I remember correctly, the original MM needed continual fertilizing to work. I have 2 beds of the old formula and use compost and pee to fertilize the greens that are in them.

Did you fertilize your baby maters? They could probably use it every 2 weeks maybe.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/4/2013, 2:46 pm

The old formula included using one part of soil. I do think I need to add some organic fertilizer. My compost is taking longer than I want, partly because I am not able to turn the piles as often as I should. I combined and mixed really well and watered two smaller ones a few days ago and that pile is up to 118 this morning. I pulled apart another one this morning and am in the process of breaking everything down that has clumped up, getting rid of any dog hair I find because it is taking too long, getting rid if any sticks, and tearing up any newspaper that is larger than an inch. I sure can get some of the pee and I have some rabbit manure that has been sitting in bags for at least six weeks. Do you think I should make up some manure tea with the rabbit manure and water with it?

I do also have some worm castings.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 5/4/2013, 3:25 pm

Tricia,
Yep that will work, I am using a manure and compost tea made in a five gallon bucket with a quart of urine thrown in for good measure and its working real well. I also add some tums extra strength for a little calcium boost. Am going to try adding aspirin at a rate of one 5 grain or 325mg tablet per one gallon of water to toughen them up so the bugs will have a harder time gnawing on the leaves. When they blossom add 2 tbsp of epsom salts and 1tbsp of baby shampoo to a gallon of water and soak the soil at the base of the plant as an aid to set fruit.
For my tea mix I use about a gallon of each in a net bag or some of the wife's knee highs. She can't figure out where there going. I just tell her the dryer probably ate them and let it go at that. Have fun.
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/5/2013, 12:52 am

Gunny you have learned and done so much since you started such a short time ago! Thank you for your help!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  madriver50 5/5/2013, 12:11 pm

Well, I transplanted my seedlings into the Community garden this morning. Looks like the weather in Central Ohio will be good for the next week. Planted Black Crims, Mortgagelifter, Brandywine, Roma, Roman Candle, Abe Lincoln and Sioux.

How often do you water them in the beginning ?
madriver50
madriver50

Male Posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/6/2013, 8:37 am

Madriver
If the soil is Mel's Mix remember it will drain very well so keep a close eye on it. Personally I look at newly transplanted stuff every day. The plants appearance will tell you how they're doing, also stick your finger in the soil and keep an eye on the weather. We are having a stretch of great weather here like you mentioned, 70's by day and 50's at night. If there is somewhere in this blessed country that has these temps year round, tell me cause I'm outta here! lol.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 5/6/2013, 10:00 am

Nope, just our winter months. Average daytime temp is 72. But the nights get into the 30's. Great for cool weather crops. Anything below 85 is considered freezing weather to the long time all year residents down here, Laughing
Gunny
Gunny

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/6/2013, 10:21 am

The winter temps sound great. Your summers though make me pause as do my summers here in central Ohio. Last year in Ohio was just rediculous with far too many days/weeks in the 90's and 100's.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 5/6/2013, 10:33 am

It just gets a little toasty here in the summers, great for all those hot weather things like sweet potatoes and okra. Am pushing the envelope with my three sister plants and just seeded some more last week and had sprouts in four days. If that is all that will grow now down here then I'm happy. This is one of those live and learn type gardens, like my giant soil cube garden. Laughing
Gunny
Gunny

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/6/2013, 11:03 am

rofl
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 5/10/2013, 11:45 am

Whoa man, tomatoes are resilient! You remember that my 2 yr old attacked some of my tomatoes? She got a couple to the point of completely breaking off all of their leaves. Where there is nothing but a main stem. Do you know that those pitiful looking stems are growing new leaves?! They might get a little behind, but they sure are perking up! Hooray to the lucky 24!
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 5/10/2013, 1:06 pm

I have a tom coming up in an asparagus box that was never planted or sown. Must be the birds are helping me. I don't have the foggiest notion of how that plant got there. Will let it grow and see what it does. Must have come with the compost. This is the second mystery tomato plant in my boxes. I am thankful for them as they will increase my meager harvest this summer if I can keep them going. One good thing about volunteers, they are free. Now if only some would pop up in my baron ground Laughing
Gunny
Gunny

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/15/2013, 11:11 am

R&R 1011 wrote:Whoa man, tomatoes are resilient! You remember that my 2 yr old attacked some of my tomatoes? She got a couple to the point of completely breaking off all of their leaves. Where there is nothing but a main stem. Do you know that those pitiful looking stems are growing new leaves?! They might get a little behind, but they sure are perking up! Hooray to the lucky 24!
RandR--With our projected temperatures in the toasty range I bet those mowed down plants will very soon look just fine! Baby toms - first time from seed - Page 2 3170584802
Gunny-- gotta love those volunteers!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 5/20/2013, 3:30 pm

Planted my toms on Sat; 'Dixie Golden Giant', 'Chocolate Cherry', 'Yellow Plum' and 'German Red Strawberry'.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 5/22/2013, 1:27 am

herblover wrote:Planted my toms on Sat; 'Dixie Golden Giant', 'Chocolate Cherry', 'Yellow Plum' and 'German Red Strawberry'.

Chocolate cherry sounds interesting.

Ive got almost everything planted in my beds. Smile
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/22/2013, 4:51 am

I hope the weather forecast is wrong for central Ohio, projected low 40's for Thurs night and hi 30's for Friday night. I'd really love to get all the tomatoes off the dining room table. Today's forecast for large hail is not happy news either.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 5/22/2013, 1:11 pm

R&R 1011 wrote:
herblover wrote:Planted my toms on Sat; 'Dixie Golden Giant', 'Chocolate Cherry', 'Yellow Plum' and 'German Red Strawberry'.

Chocolate cherry sounds interesting.

Ive got almost everything planted in my beds. Smile

I like to try new varieties and love color in any bed so thought it would be pretty as well as fruitful.
herblover
herblover

Back to top Go down

Baby toms - first time from seed - Page 2 Empty Early buds?

Post  Windmere 5/22/2013, 1:57 pm

Hello all,

I am so excited that I have a whopping seventeen beautiful and healthy black krim tomatoes. I planted them from seed a bit late (around early March). They were actually an after thought (originally we weren't going to plant any tomatoes). However, they are now about 10" - 12" tall. I planted much more than I needed. I thought there would be strength in numbers in case I messed up on them. I intend to give some away.

One thing I noticed while tending to them today: One or two already have buds. Is this normal? Is it a bad thing or a good thing? Should I pick them off to give the plant more time to grow?

This whole project is so exciting for me. To see nice healthy, bushy plants that I grew from tiny seeds is just awesome!

cheers

Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/22/2013, 11:30 pm

You Ohioans good luck with your weather and keeping your crops! That weather is just not fair or fun!

Windmere that is great, 17 black krims! I bought black krim seeds but never got them planted, lol. I heard black krims are yummy! I love the name and the color of them!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 5/23/2013, 1:42 pm

llama momma wrote:I hope the weather forecast is wrong for central Ohio, projected low 40's for Thurs night and hi 30's for Friday night. I'd really love to get all the tomatoes off the dining room table. Today's forecast for large hail is not happy news either.

I'm with you llama momma! But it will make for happier weather to work in the garden for the gardener!
herblover
herblover

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2