Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lumens vs. Kelvin Toplef10Lumens vs. Kelvin 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lumens vs. Kelvin I22gcj10Lumens vs. Kelvin 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lumens vs. Kelvin Toplef10Lumens vs. Kelvin 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lumens vs. Kelvin I22gcj10Lumens vs. Kelvin 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 10:20 am

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Lumens vs. Kelvin

+3
RoOsTeR
llama momma
mollyhespra
7 posters

Go down

Lumens vs. Kelvin Empty Lumens vs. Kelvin

Post  mollyhespra 4/21/2013, 9:54 am

Hi, all.

I'm getting anxious that my little seedlings aren't getting enough "light" as they seem to lean towards one of them: I have two, one 7800K and one 4200K; they lean towards the 7800K light. I have four shelves, each having two lights as described above.

Once I realized the plants wanted to lean towards the higher K lights, I swapped out bulbs in a shelf I wasn't using yet so that they are both 7800K.

OK! Seemed to be working...except that it occurred to me to get my light meter and check out what was happening, and it registered as "dark".

SO...I've been reading about the difference between color temp (kelvin) and light output (lumens), and I'm confused. I *think* my set-up is OK, being as I'm interested in seed-starting, not promoting flowering or growing year-round (for which a lower-K color (& thus more visible-light output/lumens would be more efficient?), but I'm wondering if I've "diluted" my K's too much by mixing the tubes that I have. Should I get more 7800K tubes or maybe swap out the 4200K ones for something more like 5000K?

I did a search in this forum (for "lumens" and "kelvin" either or together) and couldn't find anything that addressed this particular issue, so if anyone can weigh in, I'd appreciate it, since I'm needing to start using those other shelves and I'm going to have to go out & get more lights if that's the way to go.

Thanks in advance! Lumens vs. Kelvin 3170584802
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Lumens vs. Kelvin Empty Re: Lumens vs. Kelvin

Post  llama momma 4/21/2013, 10:00 am

Try the search box again I know there are discussions on lighting. Mine are double t8's per light hood and working out fine. Almost certain they are 6500k's. Lights are left on minimum of 16 hours/day. maybe those with more experience will chime in.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/21/2013, 10:27 am

I'm no lighting expert and I ended up having plenty of window space for my plants, so I took the easy route. Very Happy Take what I say as a grain of salt and to narrow it down... a lot, a typical adequate light set up for SEEDLINGS is about 6500k Full spectrum light. You can get into lumens, kelvin, red, blue etc. and you will find a difference of opinion on each for every person that is an "internet expert" on the matter. Different stages of plant life will perform better under different spectrums of light and so on. For what we are trying to accomplish, the 6500 full spectrum range should be adequate to start your plants and get them going enough till you can get them outdoors.
Do your plants look nice and healthy? If so, I wouldn't worry to much about it. Most of my plants tend to get a tad bit leggy till I can start getting them outside and hardening off. Then it disappears quickly.

Lumens vs. Kelvin Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/21/2013, 1:07 pm

For seedlings, you want more of the blue spectrum and less (or none) of the red spectrum (red helps with flowering). They need to be more than 5000k for seedlings. I bought T5HO bulbs and they worked beautifully (mine are 6400k and 2232 lumens). They are, however, quite expensive, especially if you buy the reflectors.

I am by no means an expert on any of this. Before I bought the lights I did a lot research and talked with the hydroponics guy a lot. Here is a link that explains it little, and there are a lot of other sites that explain the difference between temperature, wavelength, etc. You just have search.

http://gizmodo.com/5903134/better-know-a-grow-light
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 4/21/2013, 2:02 pm

Lumens is the intensity, or amount of energy per unit measured (square foot, square centimeter, whatever).

Kelvin is the color of the light. But you can have a high kelvin light that has hardly any energy, or a high lumen light of any color(kelvin).

6400-6500K is the apparent sweet spot for seedlings and growing plants. From there, you want to get as high a lumen as possible, and then configure your reflectors and such so that as many of those lumens get to your plants as possible.

And now, if you want the really deep voodoo...

Lighting 101 - Selecting the proper setup

Spectral Curves of CFLs vs. PAR (plant requirements)

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/21/2013, 2:09 pm

You can for sure go sensory overload on lighting. In the past (aka "before kids") I used to do saltwater reef tanks and fresh water planted tanks. Lights are crucial to both and I've been guilty of going overboard with hobbies! For most intents and purposes, your seedlings should do just fine with full spectrum or Daylight bulbs at Home Depot or Lowe's, 6500k. Provide em with sun if you can Wink

Lumens vs. Kelvin Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 4/21/2013, 2:10 pm

I got one of these after I managed to get my first batch of seedlings all leggy:

Lumens vs. Kelvin 8669426406_23dbe42b6c_z

6400K (color), and 3850 lumens (power).

I put it in a deep can of a lampshade that I made out of a plastic garbage can, then I covered the inside with reflective material to increase the lumens going out, instead of getting absorbed by the plastic.

I figure it'll either make my seedlings grow, or give them superpowers. It's really freaking bright.

Lumens vs. Kelvin 8560486337_4b728f8641

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 4/22/2013, 11:04 pm

brainchasm wrote:
{snip}

I figure it'll either make my seedlings grow, or give them superpowers. It's really freaking bright.

Lumens vs. Kelvin 8560486337_4b728f8641

Now THAT's what I'm talking about!

I need some more lumens, then. I've got the right color temp, but not enough "light".

I think I need to go buy some bulbs with higher lumens to complement the ones with 7800K I have.

Thanks for all the info! Lumens vs. Kelvin 3170584802
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 4/23/2013, 9:29 am

I found a light meter app for my iPhone and compared what I had at ground level outside around lunch time w/ what I had under my 4-bulb t8 shoplight. It showed that my shoplight was yielding about half the Lux of daylight. When I asked a retired lighting engineer who has access to technical data (which he shared in the form of graphs) he showed that seedling growth is almost perfectly matched by 6500k bulbs. He then explained to me that the measure @ ground level outside was measuring the Lux of full-spectrum light (only about half of which a seedling is able to use ...or needs), whereas the measurement under my 4-bulb light was measuring the Lux of almost 100% usable light. That translated to the fact that 16 on/8 off was producing more usable light/light-time than if I had my plants outside.
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  lbmcse 8/6/2013, 11:04 am

I know the thread is a bit old, but here goes. ..

As said above, lumens is the power, or intensity of the light; while Kelvins is the color of the light. 

You know how a flashlight shone in your eyes temporarily blinds you?  The more lumens, the greater this effect.  A candle is weak in luminosity, a searchlight is strong.  For gardening, the more lumens the better, but this equates to more heat if you're using halide or incandescent bulbs.  Fluorescent bulbs, compact fluorescents (the spiral bulb above is a CF) and LED's, create much less heat.  In fact, LED's are getting so good that they're replacing metal halide lights above reef tanks.   

Color of light is measured in K, and 6500 is considered the color of sunlight at noon.  The higher this number, the bluer the light.  20K (20,000K) is similar to being underwater at 30 feet or so.  Water blocks lower Kelvin colors, so only the blue makes it down to depths. 

We want high luminosity and low K (6500 is great).  A very strong blue light is pretty on a reef aquarium at night, but useless for photosynthesis.  HTH.
lbmcse
lbmcse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum