Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? - Page 2 Toplef10Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? - Page 2 I22gcj10Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? - Page 2 Toplef10Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? - Page 2 I22gcj10Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Western mountains and high plains. Who's Planting What?

+7
CapeCoddess
RoOsTeR
Boz
Triciasgarden
Lillyz
Turan
cheyannarach
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? - Page 2 Empty re: whos planting what

Post  Lillyz 5/8/2013, 2:27 pm

Time for the parsley to stop taking up valuable "real estate" in the flat. Its going into the garden today. Also had soaked some sweet pea and morning glory seeds overnight so they are going to get planted today too.
Lillyz
Lillyz

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? - Page 2 Empty RE: whos planting what?

Post  johnp 5/8/2013, 4:07 pm

I planted radishes, carrots and beets the weekend before last and all are coming up after many nights covering the beds. This weekend tomatoes and a few peppers. The following weekend will do the rest of the peppers, eggplant and cucumbers. The sno peas are really slow this year ,only two or three inches tall so far, I guess because it's been so cold. All the orchards around have lost 90% of their apples and our friend with the you pick apple and pumpkin farm is not planting this year because we have no irrigation. Looks like a brown summer.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? - Page 2 Empty Re: Western mountains and high plains. Who's Planting What?

Post  RoOsTeR 5/12/2013, 10:28 am

My mother came over yesterday and we planted watermelon radish, bok choy, purple and white kohlrabi, red turnip, and my brussel sprout starts.
Hopefully over the next week, I'll be sowing lot's more carrots, lettuce and spinach. albino

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? - Page 2 Empty Re: Western mountains and high plains. Who's Planting What?

Post  RoOsTeR 6/23/2013, 10:16 am

This morning I planted more flambo beans. http://www.territorialseed.com/product/13255/new_products:
And purple sun carrots!
http://www.territorialseed.com/product/12052

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/23/2013, 9:57 pm

I just seeded a few soil blocks with pac choi.  We will see if the weather holds for them to to grow a head before bolting.  The last patch direct seeded did not do too well so I am experimenting with starting them in soil blocks first.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/22/2013, 8:08 am

Yesterday I planted chard, mustard greens, watermelon radish, red turnips, purple and white kohlrabi, and Rocky Top lettuce mix Very Happy 

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 7/22/2013, 8:45 am

We planted a Siberian Kale mix, golden beets, breakfast radishes, a leaf lettuce mix from Wild Garden Seeds, Jester crisp head lettuce and carrots.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/10/2013, 9:49 am

My patio lettuce boxes planted with Rocky Top mix and some curly top mustard sprinkled in for a bit of fun Very Happy 

Western mountains and high plains.  Who's Planting What? - Page 2 20130810_070328_zpsf3ea0f8d

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/10/2013, 9:52 am

Looks good!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 8/10/2013, 7:28 pm

Beautiful!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/11/2013, 5:06 pm

I just seeded Danvers Halflong carrots and Flat Egyptian beets where the garlic was.  The idea is these will be ready for late October harvest in time for winter storage.

I am also pruning the broccoli way back and giving it a side dressing of compost and camalina meal.  It is making tiny side shoots now.  I am hoping this will push it to make a new central stalk and some bigger heads rather than start from new seedlings.  An experiment.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 8/11/2013, 10:17 pm

That is funny you mentioned this Turan.  My broccoli just did not do good this year, the leaves grew to a certain size and froze there.  There was a little insect damage and some dying leaves so I picked those.  I made some shade with a sheet when it got very hot and it seemed to help some.  I didn't have the heart to totally tear the plants out.  I have noticed in the past few days to a week that my plants are putting out leaves at the base of some of the plants and some of the leaves are getting quite large.  So I am hoping that I will still get those broccoli plants to produce.  It will be interesting to see if you can get a main stem again, but at least you should get the side shoots.

I am hoping to grow some carrots also as my carrot week ones did not make it.  I do have to check my weather schedule first though.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 8/11/2013, 10:33 pm

I just seeded Danvers Halflong carrots and Flat Egyptian beets where the garlic was. The idea is these will be ready for late October harvest in time for winter storage.
I was wondering Turan, whether it was too late to plant more carrots. OR beets, but if it is not too late for you, then it is not too late for me.
Today I cleared out a bed of black turtle beans, they were maturing and most were drying, so I just uprooted all of them. Seems such a shame to have an empty bed now.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 8/11/2013, 11:43 pm

I'm done planting for this year as my first chance of frost is in less than a month affraid...definitely something that I need to account better for next year.  Guess I will just enjoy whats still growing and starting planning for next year. My kids have already started their lists...lol.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 8/12/2013, 12:47 pm

I am going to try carrots, lettuce, beets, and radishes and cover them when my first frost hits.  After the first frost I have some time of better weather that hopefully those things can continue to grow.  Tomatoes don't make it past the first frost for me but some of the cooler weather crops may make it.  I know others have extended their growing season this way.  Now to put this into practice today!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/12/2013, 9:47 pm

GWN wrote:I was wondering Turan, whether it was too late to plant more carrots.  OR beets, but if it is not too late for you, then it is not too late for me.
Today I cleared out a bed of black turtle beans, they were maturing and most were drying, so I just uprooted all of them. Seems such a shame to have an empty bed now.
 Both these are touted as good for fall crops and they mature in 70 days.  I will have frost in less than a month now but the hard frost won't come untill late October.  So maybe they will make it.  I thought I would try at any rate.

The black turtle are maturing!  Wow.  My Indian yellow are just started blooming.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/12/2013, 9:49 pm

mschaef wrote:I'm done planting for this year as my first chance of frost is in less than a month affraid...definitely something that I need to account better for next year.  Guess I will just enjoy whats still growing and starting planning for next year. My kids have already started their lists...lol.
 You should be able to plant various fast growing cool weather crops.  You know greens and radishes at least.  When does the Community garden insist everyone is done for the year?

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 8/12/2013, 10:14 pm

cilantro might make it up in time as well.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2