Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Bokashi - Page 3 Toplef10Bokashi - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Bokashi - Page 3 I22gcj10Bokashi - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Bokashi - Page 3 Toplef10Bokashi - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Bokashi - Page 3 I22gcj10Bokashi - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Bokashi

+20
lvanderb
Dan in Ct
OhioGardener
Banned Member
mlpii66
has55
clarcks
kittykat
AtlantaMarie
CapeCoddess
sanderson
AbiKool
abyssa
No_Such_Reality
mschaef
syrah2422
GWN
camprn
RoOsTeR
jazzycat
24 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Bokashi - Page 3 Empty Re: Bokashi

Post  lvanderb 4/30/2020, 9:22 pm

thanks That's a great visual! I have 2 5 gallon pails with easy to remove lids on order. I will be putting 2-3" of sawdust on the bottom to absorb the juice. I'm really looking forward to trying this. Hubby is, like, seriously? lol

Linda
lvanderb
lvanderb

Female Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/3/2020, 6:06 pm

lvanderb wrote: thanks  That's a great visual! . . .
+1

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/6/2020, 7:51 pm

An update on turning the completed Bokashi pre-compost into compost, this shows how fast the Bokashi breaks down in the compost tumbler. The first picture is what the Bokashi looked like on April 30th, when it was dumped into the compost tumbler with pine pellets to provide carbon. A week later it is hard to identify any of the vegetables that were in the Bokashi. The compost thermometer showed the compost before it was turned was at 158°F, which is very good. By the end of this month it will be completed compost. An added benefit of using Bokashi to pre-compost the kitchen scraps is that the fermentation process kills any seeds that are included in the scraps.

This first picture is the finished Bokashi after fermenting for 2 weeks in the sealed bucket, just before it was emptied into the compost tumbler.
Bokashi - Page 3 Bokash13

This second picture is the state of the compost a week after the Bokashi bucket was emptied into the tumbler. It is hard to recognize much of vegetable pieces that were in the Bokashi bucket.
Bokashi - Page 3 Bokash14

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/25/2020, 11:11 am

The lid on one of my Bokashi buckets has warped and no longer provides an air-tight seal. Can't make Bokashi compost without a sealed bucket the keeps out the air. The 2nd bucket I have is of identical design, so it will probably show the same warping problem in the not-to-distant future.  So, I am in search of a couple new 5-gallon Bokashi buckets.

Any suggestions on good easy to use and yet durable 5-gallon Bokashi buckets?

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/26/2020, 8:35 am

After too much time spent looking for good quality Bokashi buckets at a reasonable price, I have decided to build my own.  Found a web page with some good instructions on building them from 5-gallon buckets with a screw on lid.  Buying a similar bucket comes with a price tag of around $55, but when I priced all of the parts to build one with the bucket and lid from Home Depot, and the plastic spigot and bottom grid from Amazon, the total cost came out to just under $19. So, I can build two of these buckets for less than the cost of a  single purchased one.  Since I sometimes have both of my current buckets full before the oldest one has finished fermenting, I might just build 3 of these buckets...  Smile 

How to build your Bokashi composter and start composting today!

Bokashi - Page 3 Bokash15

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/29/2020, 12:45 pm

This morning I completed the build of the two new Bokashi buckets, with the added Gamma lid, plastic spigot, and grid guard.  These buckets will be a huge improvement over the original buckets that I have, which the lids have warped on and no long seal to provide an anaerobic environment for the Bokashi to ferment.  I need to find new grid guards to fit the buckets, since the ones that I ordered are 1/2" too big for the bucket and sit up about 3" too high in the bottom of the bucket.  But, I went ahead and put one of the buckets in use since one of the old buckets was ready to empty into the composter. 

A picture of the two new buckets. These were made of food grade plastic buckets from Home Depot, with the Gamma screw-on lid.
Bokashi - Page 3 Two_ne10

The completed bucked has a Grid Guard in the bottom to keep the Bokashi up out of the liquid that drains out.
Bokashi - Page 3 Comple12

A closeup view of the grid.

Bokashi - Page 3 Bokash16

One of the new buckets has been started with Bokashi, while one of the old original buckets completes the fermenting process.  The old bucket is a 4-gallon size, while the new one is a 5-gallon size.
Bokashi - Page 3 New_an10

Last edited by OhioGardener on 9/30/2020, 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling correction)

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/12/2020, 2:14 am

Nice tutorial.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/12/2020, 3:13 pm

sanderson wrote:Nice tutorial.

And, the new buckets that the guy described are working so much better than the old Exaco buckets that I had been using. These with with Gamma lid are completely air tight, which allows the Bokashi bran to fully ferment the contents of the bucket. The lids on the old buckets had warped and it was not possible to seal them anymore.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/20/2020, 10:30 am

Apparently I am going to have to make a 3rd 5-gallon Bokashi bucket. The two that I made are in use and completely full with the fall fruit & vegetable harvest. Just cleaning a Cushaw to get it ready to bake created a lot of scrap to go into the bucket. Unfortunately, the 2nd bucket got full this morning, and the 1st bucket is only one week into its fermentation process before it can be emptied and dumped into the compost tumbler. So, I may be off to Lowe's for another bucket and lid....

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/21/2020, 6:08 pm

Made the third bucket and put it into service today.  Now have two buckets in the fermenting process - one will complete on Oct 26th, and other will complete on Nov 3rd - and one bucket just starting to be filled. It should take about two weeks to completely fill the new bucket, and by that time one of the other buckets will be emptied and ready to put into use.  Life is good!

Bokashi - Page 3 Bokash17

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/4/2020, 3:41 pm

OG, thank you for all the tips.  Making a bucket yourself has got to be less expensive than buying one. ??

Note: I just found this from you from September: "Found a web page with some good instructions on building them from 5-gallon buckets with a screw on lid. Buying a similar bucket comes with a price tag of around $55, but when I priced all of the parts to build one with the bucket and lid from Home Depot, and the plastic spigot and bottom grid from Amazon, the total cost came out to just under $19. So, I can build two of these buckets for less than the cost of a single purchased one." Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/28/2020, 4:28 pm

Beautiful looking finished Bokashi ready for the compost bin.  Love seeing that white mold on top of the bucket, which means that it is well fermented Bokashi compost. It will help to create some nice fungi-based compost in the bin. This bucket was completely full to the top when it was sealed, and it sank about 4" during the fermenting process.

Bokashi - Page 3 Finish10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/13/2020, 4:13 pm

Bokashi - Page 3 3170584802

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/26/2021, 8:10 pm

Started a new experiment with the Bokashi today. I normally dump the bucket of completely fermented Bokashi in one of the compost tumbler bins and let it finish composting. During the winter I did an experiment of making a Soil Factory using some finished Bokashi, and it was very successful.  Now, for the new experiment I dug a hole in one of the raised beds, dumped the Bokashi into the hole and spread it out as thin as possible, and covered with 6" of soil. The theory is that in about two weeks that the Bokashi will have completely composted down and enriched the soil in the bed. Hopefully the experiment will be successful, since I will need to be planting tomatoes in that bed in mid-May. There were a lot of earthworms in the hole that I dug, so that should help with breaking down the compost a little faster.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/10/2021, 4:53 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Started a new experiment with the Bokashi today. I normally dump the bucket of completely fermented Bokashi in one of the compost tumbler bins and let it finish composting. During the winter I did an experiment of making a Soil Factory using some finished Bokashi, and it was very successful.  Now, for the new experiment I dug a hole in one of the raised beds, dumped the Bokashi into the hole and spread it out as thin as possible, and covered with 6" of soil. The theory is that in about two weeks that the Bokashi will have completely composted down and enriched the soil in the bed.

It was two weeks ago yesterday that I started the experiment of burying the finished Bokashi in a garden bed and watching to see how fast it composted.  This afternoon I dug up the area where the Bokashi was buried to see what it looked like.  Other than some egg shells and pieces of a couple coffee filters, there was no identifiable pieces of food in the soil. There were hundreds of earthworms, though. This experiment was very successful, which is a good since there will a couple tomatoes planted there next week.
Bokashi - Page 3 Bokash18

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/27/2021, 8:36 pm

Since all three of the Bokashi buckets were full, decided to take advantage of the beautiful 65ºF weather today to bury the oldest finished bucket in one of the raised beds. I love seeing the white mold forming on the top of the Bokashi when it is fully fermented.

I have one 4'x4' bed that had the fall crops of Kale and Swiss Chard in them until the hard freezes killed them, so I took the top 6" of soil off the bed and spread the Bokashi in the bed. I also had a bag of Starbucks coffee grounds that I spread on top of the Bokashi, and then replaced all of the soil on the bed and covered it with about 6" of wheat straw.  That bed should be winter worm food fest. Very Happy 

The full bucket of Bokashi has been fermenting for 3 weeksBokashi - Page 3 Full_b10

A closeup of the Bokashi with some white mold forming on topBokashi - Page 3 Bokash19

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 1/5/2022, 6:56 pm

Glad to see bokashi is being discussed here. I only learned about it last year, and I'm fermenting my first batch after getting the one thing on my Christmas wish list: an Organico Bokashi bucket.
dstack
dstack

Male Posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/5/2022, 7:05 pm

That is good to hear, Dstack!  I started with two buckets so that I would have one sealed and finishing fermenting while I was filling the second one. But, I soon discovered that the second bucket was getting full before the first one had finished its two weeks of fermenting, so I made a third bucket. Now as the third one is getting full, I can empty the first one and get it ready to start filling it again.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

dstack likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/31/2022, 1:09 pm

We are now in the nights of sub-zero temps, and it is too cold for working the compost tumblers.  So, this weekend I started another Bokashi Soil Factory with one of the buckets of completed Bokashi.  In a couple weeks it should be a container of rich black soil/compost to store for spring planting.  When the process is completed, I'll try to put together a video on the process I use.
Bokashi - Page 3 Bokash20

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

dstack likes this post

Back to top Go down

Bokashi - Page 3 Empty My bokashi video

Post  dstack 5/28/2022, 8:39 pm

I know this is an old thread, so I'm late to this party. LOL!  I recently discovered bokashi composting, and made this video about it. 

dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/29/2022, 9:58 am

Welcome to the world of Bokashi, Dstack!  It is my winter go-to composting method.  No matter how deep the snow, I can still compost all of the kitchen scraps.  I use 3 Bokashi buckets that I made from food grade 5 gallon buckets, spigots, and bucket grit guards.  When a bucket of Bokashi is fully fermented I either dig a hole in a raised bed and bury the compost, or I add it to the compost bin.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson and dstack like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 5/29/2022, 11:12 am

OhioGardener wrote:Welcome to the world of Bokashi, Dstack!  It is my winter go-to composting method.  No matter how deep the snow, I can still compost all of the kitchen scraps.  I use 3 Bokashi buckets that I made from food grade 5 gallon buckets, spigots, and bucket grit guards.  When a bucket of Bokashi is fully fermented I either dig a hole in a raised bed and bury the compost, or I add it to the compost bin.
Thanks! One thing I love is that if I don't have time to use the leachate, I can just dump it in my hot compost. Beyond what I said about TeraGanix on the video, they have since seen this video and asked to use it on their blogs. I hope they do the same with the next video on EM-1. Anyway, it's great to hear how convenient this is for you in the winter.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/30/2022, 4:37 pm

I really should look into this method. Now that I don't compost, all of the kitchen scraps go into the garbage. I feel so wasteful.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

dstack and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/17/2022, 11:35 am

The last time I tried to do any composting in the actual beds, the ants found it and made a big home.  I buried scrapes in the bed and let them sit over the winter and that was a mistake for me.  So my question is, will the bokashi attract ants.  They are all over my property and I just can't get rid of them.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 8/17/2022, 11:59 am

yolos wrote:The last time I tried to do any composting in the actual beds, the ants found it and made a big home.  I buried scrapes in the bed and let them sit over the winter and that was a mistake for me.  So my question is, will the bokashi attract ants.  They are all over my property and I just can't get rid of them.
I haven't seen that problem, and I don't think that is going to attract ants because you're burying the compost.
dstack
dstack

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next