Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Spring is in my garden! Toplef10Spring is in my garden! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Spring is in my garden! I22gcj10Spring is in my garden! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Spring is in my garden! Toplef10Spring is in my garden! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Spring is in my garden! I22gcj10Spring is in my garden! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Spring is in my garden!

+7
Lillyz
meatburner
FamilyGardening
GWN
cheyannarach
Turan
Coelli
11 posters

Go down

Spring is in my garden! Empty Spring is in my garden!

Post  Coelli 3/5/2013, 10:00 pm

I took a leap of faith and started a little early this year. Smile All of my tomatoes are living outside now and 9 of them are planted in their buckets (with 3 to go). Oregano and rosemary are potted up outside. Last year's strawberry plants (in a cement mixing tub) are showing a few flowers and the Meyer lemon is also getting ready to bloom.

In the SFG, the Lacinato/Dinosaur kale and Giant Noble Spinach starts are perking up and looking good (I am pushing it with 2 to a square, but we will harvest them A LOT). The basil is not liking the cold weather, but it's hanging in there and couldn't live in the house anymore.

Chiogga beets, Lutz Salad Leaf beets, Berlicum 2 carrots, Easter Egg, Munchener Bier, and White Icicle radishes, Tall Telephone Peas, Stuttgarter Onions, Amsterdam Prickly Seeded spinach and Bloomsdale Long Standing spinach are all sprouting. Still waiting on 4 squares of Rainbow Chard and a square of Marigolds. This weekend I'll be planting the beans, more spinach, more Kale, and perhaps the Black Beauty zucchini starts will go in the ground (they've been hardening off outside).

It's raining for the next few days and will dip into the 40's at night but should be warming up again after that. I'm really glad I started early. Some of my garden is still in the shade but the sun is rapidly rising in the sky and I think both beds will get full sun soon. Last year I started planting in late April but because of The War of the Squirrels, nothing got to actually grow until late May. I can't wait until the garden is in full swing! And having spent a year now watching how the sun falls, I think I will still be able to grow things on the back trellis year round, as it never loses the sun like the rest of the garden does. Smile I love CA!

Spring is in my garden! Wp_20115

Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Spring is in my garden! Empty Re: Spring is in my garden!

Post  Turan 3/5/2013, 10:10 pm

bounce cheers

and just a little jealous

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 3/5/2013, 11:03 pm

Wow, that looks great. I'm with Turan... a little jealous!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/5/2013, 11:13 pm

ditto, your garden looks great and your plans also make me green.... with envy
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/6/2013, 1:59 am

wow love the idea your garden is amazing!

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner 3/6/2013, 1:11 pm

Coelli, your garden looks great! I am a little jealous too as spring hasn't hit here yet. You garden inspired me know spring is coming soon. This was last week but going to warm up nicely in the next few days unlike our gardening friends out east.
Spring is in my garden! Garden15
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

Spring is in my garden! Empty Spring in your garden

Post  Lillyz 3/6/2013, 6:30 pm

Wow!

Your garden is beautiful! I love California weather. Spring will eventually get here too.

Lilly
Lillyz
Lillyz

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 3/11/2013, 1:17 pm

I'm way behind. I haven't started any seeds. I guess I'll just have to break down and go get seedlings from the nursery.

I do have one surviving tomato plant that made it through the winter. It got pretty ratty with the February cold snap but seems to be bouncing back.

The apple tree is blossoming. The plum tree too. The onion and garlic in the containers seem to be doing okay, but a little slow. The Shallots not doing too well for some reason.

Now for my problems. Everything I haven't planted is growing like gangbusters. I can't keep up. My rosemary plant needs a trim, it's in ground and currently 4 feet high and 3 feet around. Covered in little purple flowers the bees love. The lavender plant is even bigger. Both are getting pretty woody with thumb thick stems sprouting from the base. The prior owners had planted asparagus fern and spider plants below the orange trees. They had gone wild before we bought the place but now are just insane. I went on a plant execution spree and filled a large portion of the green waste container, but didn't make much of a dent. The spider plants are standing knee deep.

Then there are the roses. I feel bad mauling roses, but really, they're turning into trees. And they don't have thorns, they have talons. Thorns the bigger than my thumbnail. Our reward this year is rose root runners coming up everywhere in the lawn and beds.

And finally, clover. I can't keep it out of the beds or containers. I'll not pay attention for a week and I'll have a solid blanket of clover covering my bed. Right at the moment, I'm pondering how to remove all the clover surrounding the garlic. There it is, a sea of green clover with a nice grid of garlic leaves sticking up like flagpoles. Will the clover choke the garlic?
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 3/11/2013, 11:36 pm

Coelli,
Beautiful garden - I am also so jealous! Very Happy
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 3/12/2013, 12:28 am

No_Such_Reality wrote:I'm way behind. I haven't started any seeds. I guess I'll just have to break down and go get seedlings from the nursery.

I do have one surviving tomato plant that made it through the winter. It got pretty ratty with the February cold snap but seems to be bouncing back.

The apple tree is blossoming. The plum tree too. The onion and garlic in the containers seem to be doing okay, but a little slow. The Shallots not doing too well for some reason.

Now for my problems. Everything I haven't planted is growing like gangbusters. I can't keep up. My rosemary plant needs a trim, it's in ground and currently 4 feet high and 3 feet around. Covered in little purple flowers the bees love. The lavender plant is even bigger. Both are getting pretty woody with thumb thick stems sprouting from the base. The prior owners had planted asparagus fern and spider plants below the orange trees. They had gone wild before we bought the place but now are just insane. I went on a plant execution spree and filled a large portion of the green waste container, but didn't make much of a dent. The spider plants are standing knee deep.

Then there are the roses. I feel bad mauling roses, but really, they're turning into trees. And they don't have thorns, they have talons. Thorns the bigger than my thumbnail. Our reward this year is rose root runners coming up everywhere in the lawn and beds.

And finally, clover. I can't keep it out of the beds or containers. I'll not pay attention for a week and I'll have a solid blanket of clover covering my bed. Right at the moment, I'm pondering how to remove all the clover surrounding the garlic. There it is, a sea of green clover with a nice grid of garlic leaves sticking up like flagpoles. Will the clover choke the garlic?

I don't think it's too late to start seeds, since we have such a long growing season. Smile It depends on how much of a head start you want! I am still seeding - I just planted pole beans this weekend, and will be re-seeding a few things that didn't come up, and am thinking about re-starting some peppers to replace ones that aren't thriving. I just wanted a big head start on my tomatoes and I think I got too much of one, though 10 of the 12 are now in their buckets.

If you have clover, if it's not seeding I wonder could you treat it like a cover crop and dig it down into the beds that don't have garlic? You'll probably just have to keep pulling it around the garlic. Sad When did you plant your garlic btw? I think I want to grow some but I can never find the right time to plant it when I have room.

Your lavender and rosemary sound amazing. Smile I make rosemary garlic beef jerky - i just dry the rosemary, grind it in a mortar really quick, and throw it in the mix. It's really good that way. I'm looking forward to growing my own.

And I'll trade you roses for beaugainvillea. That stuff is HORRIBLE, and the spines are a good 1" long and needle sharp. We've had them go right through the soles of shoes. We're slowly but surely eradicating it from the yard, but it is tenacious and persistent.

I just covered the 3x12 with tulle to keep the bugs and oleander seeds out (they're everywhere) and put some more tulle over the beet and carrot seedlings in the other bed, which are getting their seed leaves eaten by something. Sad I dusted them with diatomaceous earth a couple of days ago and just got 5 (!) more pounds from Amazon in preparation of The War of the Ants, Episode 2013. The little buggers are already exploring the garden and scouting out where to farm their aphids when it gets warmer.

Are you composting? That might be a good way to put your spider plants and ferns to work. Wink

Here's the tulle'd garden:

Spring is in my garden! 582305_10151342985488339_1211728091_n

I also made a PVC frame for my strawberry bed (it's a cement mixing tub) - they're starting to flower, so I put bird netting on the frame since birds are definitely not something we lack here, living right next to a wash.
Coelli
Coelli

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 3/12/2013, 4:01 pm

planted corn, carrots, kale, lettuce, zucchini, soy beans, beets, spinach, turnips....our weather has been beautiful! wow. Hoping the stores get in the "good" tomatoes this weekend, want to get them in the ground too!! Happy gardening guys!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/12/2013, 4:34 pm

NSR .
this is how I've succeeded in getting rid of several clumps of clover before it took over the bed .
Gently ease out what clover you can without dragging your crops out .
Then with gentle use of a pair of scissors to snip it just below the surface .. again don't chop your crops .

Re the thorns on the roses . Play pick one off three times aday . Start low down and every day use a small pair of pliars to twist off several thorns ..they don't grow back .
Once you reach say six feet up the stems all the other thorns above should not matter too much.

This method is used to make " standard roses " . Where there is a thornless, leaf free stick about four feet long with a bunch of grafted in roses at the top .

Note
Apparently rose thorns grow a particularly nasty toxic fungus .

Here in the UK several gardening people a year die from the toxic posioning of rose thorn particles in their hands , finger tips or feet .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 3/14/2013, 11:51 pm

Well, my basil starts appeared to be damping off in the box (it's not draining very well) so I pulled it today and just seeded directly in-ground. Also re-seeded some things that didn't come up and planted 4 curly kale starts that may or may not make it (they've been in the house and honestly, I didn't feel like hardening them off - at worst, I re-seed and lose a couple of weeks).

Potted up another Scotch Bonnet too, and am waiting for the shadow of the house to be off the lower bed so I can get the sweet peppers in there, and seed some jalapenos. Mustard Habanero and Ghost Pepper will go in pots.

My peas are looking good and I'm hoping we get some before it gets too hot. One of the Chinese Noodle Beans has emerged so the rest must be following in short order.

The tulle seems to be helping my seedlings from getting eaten - poor things were getting beheaded, and I still need to re-seed a bunch of beets and carrots if they don't survive.

The tomatoes in their buckets seem to be doing well, although I still have two more to plant (ran out of mix). That will make a total of 12 which seems a little excessive... but I'll figure out what to do with them. Smile I am especially looking forward to tasting Blue Berry Blend and Cherokee Purple, which everyone raves about.

The strawberries have more flowers now too! Might be time to think about a permanent bed somewhere...

Looking at the forecast, I think it's going to be smooth sailing for the next couple of months until the shade cloth has to come out. Wink
Coelli
Coelli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down