Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. Toplef10strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. I22gcj10strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. Toplef10strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. I22gcj10strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 10:20 am

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year.

+8
GWN
RoOsTeR
CapeCoddess
cheyannarach
Turan
meatburner
yolos
Glencoe12
12 posters

Go down

strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. Empty Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year.

Post  Glencoe12 2/5/2013, 9:08 pm

I want to grow stawberries and eat them the first year. Everyone says I can't until the third year. Does anyone know of any types that can do this? strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. 3085260134
Glencoe12
Glencoe12

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. Empty Re: Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year.

Post  yolos 2/5/2013, 9:13 pm

I planted mine and ate the berries in the first year. I have 6 to 7 months between last and first frost. I feel that is enough time to pick the strawberries and then let them concentrate on developing a good root system. Hope I am right.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. Empty Re: Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year.

Post  meatburner 2/5/2013, 9:41 pm

I think Denver is more like zone 5/6 so GA growing season will be much different. Wish you luck and maybe someone else can help with what you want. Just might be a real challenge though.
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 2/5/2013, 11:39 pm

I am north of you in zone 4b. I have planted bare root strawberries in the early spring and then eaten berries from them in the summer. The old time standards for hardiness are Fort Laramie (everbearing) and Honeoye (June bearing). I have a mixed bed of these. You won't get a lot of berries the first year, but you should get some if you plant early enough and the roots are big enough to start with. Maybe that 3 year thing is if starting from seed, not bare roots?

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 2/6/2013, 1:44 am

I bought bare roots last year and in the planting instructions they said they eat them first year! They were Quinalts. We have about the same growing season, so they should work for you!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/6/2013, 7:24 am

Last April I got 2 little plants called Allstar from HD. They said June bearing but still, I was pleasantly shocked to get a few berries a few weeks after planting them, then again late summer. Now I have 3 or 4 baby shoots coming off of them. What a Face

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/6/2013, 7:32 am

Hmm, I've always heard to replace strawberries every three years for best production thinking
Anyway, here's some great information about strawberries that's actually very fitting for our area.
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/Garden/07000.html

strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/6/2013, 10:28 am

All of mine are "gifts" from other gardens and they all produced well in first year. Mine seem to be a mixture of june bearing and everbearing.... The suckers (or baby plants) seem to quickly fill up all the spaces.
Mine were planted 2 years ago in 2011 and I have gotten enough runners (from the first bed) to create a few more strawberry beds.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 2/6/2013, 10:38 am

In my former life as a professional strawberry picker (ages 7-15), I observed that the largest, most abundant berries appeared in year three. My assumption was that Year One was the year they were planted. In Year Four, the yield began to diminish.

This year, I'm facing the same dilema. My thought is that if I plant second-year plants, availability permitting, I should be able to harvest and eat berries this year, and without having to pick off the blossoms! It may well be that smaller, younger plants should be shorn of their blooms, however, that first year.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 2/6/2013, 10:41 am

GWN,

Is "overbearing" a new type of strawberry that takes over and strangles everything else in a garden? strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. 889526
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 2/6/2013, 10:59 am

donnainzone10 wrote:GWN,

Is "overbearing" a new type of strawberry that takes over and strangles everything else in a garden? strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. 889526

Razz
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/6/2013, 11:22 am

Quinalts are nice, large juicy berries but mine didn't bear fruits til the 2nd year, and then only marginally. The 3rd yr was a bonanza. The runners from the years before are the ones that will produce later so you can have your patch going forever if you remove the 'mother' plant after the 3rd yr and let the runners from the earlier 2 yrs produce the new fruits.
I find that I needed a long strawberry patch for this to work right so mine runs along one side of my garden beds in a raised berm 3 feet wide.
strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. Row_co13
If you don't want the birds to harvest your berries, be sure to cover them with light row cover when they start to ripen.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/6/2013, 11:39 am

I'm in 6a zone, not sure of your zone. Below is last years thread where I journaled my first time strawberry experience with new starts. You might find it helpful.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t13734-2012-pictures-of-birth-of-new-strawberry-bed-through-1st-renovation?highlight=strawberry+starts
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/6/2013, 12:47 pm

GWN,

Is "overbearing" a new type of strawberry that takes over and strangles everything else in a garden?
yahoo
Actually it is one of those things that the computer "EDITS" for you ..... I saw it and thought.... overbearing better describes my strawberries. I DO have to say we got a lot more berries in the second year, and at the end of the first year the bed was so full of weeds, I renovated it at the end of the year, basically pulling up all of the plants, getting rid of weeds and replanting. So in many ways the second year ones were basically first year ones.
This last year I planted 10 squares of SFG with strawbs as well, so anxious to see how they do this year.

Oh and I wanted to add that I grew up north of here in zone 3 and they seemed to grow quite well there too.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 2/6/2013, 1:39 pm

I NEVER trust computer spell checkers to do much of anything! Especially cognates, similar words, grammar, and punctuation! The only value I find there is to catch typos.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/6/2013, 1:51 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:I NEVER trust computer spell checkers to do much of anything! Especially cognates, similar words, grammar, and punctuation! The only value I find there is to catch typos.

Lol, so true! I turn off the auto correct features so I can control what is actually corrected. Names are a killer Laughing

strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/6/2013, 3:20 pm

Glencoe12 wrote:I want to grow stawberries and eat them the first year. Everyone says I can't until the third year. Does anyone know of any types that can do this? strawberries - Want to plant and Eat Strawberries the first year. 3085260134

If your using runners it should be feasable to pot them ,grow to say 4 inches tall , then take out of pots shake off the soil and put them in a polybag in the freezer for 24 hrs. Done to try and fool the plants into reacting as though they have been overwintered. Plant back in pots in nice sun warmed tip top quality MM and see if it works .

The rest of us on site will not hold our breaths in anticipation of them cropping that year . Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/6/2013, 3:49 pm

Boy, you know ALL the tricks, Plantoid. Know wonder you have such great veggies....they don't stand a chance to misbehave! Razz

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down