Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
critter - Invasion of the Unkown Critter Toplef10critter - Invasion of the Unkown Critter 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

critter - Invasion of the Unkown Critter I22gcj10critter - Invasion of the Unkown Critter 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
critter - Invasion of the Unkown Critter Toplef10critter - Invasion of the Unkown Critter 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

critter - Invasion of the Unkown Critter I22gcj10critter - Invasion of the Unkown Critter 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Invasion of the Unkown Critter

+5
camprn
littlejo
Nymiko
FamilyGardening
JackieB999
9 posters

Go down

critter - Invasion of the Unkown Critter Empty Invasion of the Unkown Critter

Post  JackieB999 1/29/2013, 11:19 pm

Hi... I dont know what kind of bug I have!

I planted some potatoes in a big bucket, and I remember when I was planting them that inside my cow manure bag there was some yellowish clumps of something, perhaps a fungus. I tossed out a good portion of it, but I'm sure some of it remained in the compost. I wish now I threw the whole bag away, but I'm new to this and thought it was natural.

Everything was fine for a few weeks. Yesterday I noticed some sand/dirt up around the outside rim of the potato bucket. I thought, that's odd, there's no sand around here and I'm sure I didnt splash container when watering.

Upon closer inspection, this was hundreds, if not thousands, of tiny white/yellow critters! They are too small to see what they really look like. I dont think it's an ant, but maybe an aphid from the pictures I found online. I inspected my other plants and they have invaded them also, but the potato bucket appears to be the source.

The thing is, they appear to be coming OUT of the dirt and like hanging out on the outside of the pot and rim.

I bought some EcoFriendly Garden Killer, which is organic Rosemary, Peppermint and Clove oils. I sprayed it and they died on contact. But today they were back in high numbers. Eeeek. I sprayed again. I dont think the spray has any lasting affect and is only good for direct, wet contact. I will see what tomorrow brings.

Has anyone had a similar problem? What do you think they are? Should I treat the potaotes with anything?

JackieB999
JackieB999

Female Posts : 125

Back to top Go down

critter - Invasion of the Unkown Critter Empty Re: Invasion of the Unkown Critter

Post  FamilyGardening 1/30/2013, 12:55 am

can you take a picture of the critters and post it?
that would help us to see what you are talking about Very Happy

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

critter - Invasion of the Unkown Critter Empty Re: Invasion of the Unkown Critter

Post  Nymiko 1/30/2013, 2:49 am

Sounds scary... I'm in Florida too and let me tell you about the variety of critters here. I hear it'll get worst in the summer time. I covered my sfg with a tulle hoop and I still get bugs inside?! Lol
Nymiko
Nymiko

Female Posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 1/30/2013, 6:39 am

That yellow stuff may have been eggs of some bug! Can you fill the bucket with water, then let it drain? If so, I'd put some dish soap then water the bucket well. Maybe this can at least bring them out.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/30/2013, 7:25 am

I recommend to contact your local County Cooperative Extension Service for ID and proper treatment options, if any are needed.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

critter - Invasion of the Unkown Critter WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieB999 1/30/2013, 8:49 am

Here's a picture of them. They just look like sand, but they move. This was this morning, so I'm on my 3rd day of spraying them. It appears to be a lower count today, but I'm still curious what they are.

critter - Invasion of the Unkown Critter Bugs11
JackieB999
JackieB999

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/30/2013, 8:54 am

Yeah, I have no idea. Take your photo and a sample if you can get it and head on over to your County Extension Service. Let us know what they have to say.

http://solutionsforyourlife.com/lawn_and_garden/calendar/#central

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

critter - Invasion of the Unkown Critter WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/30/2013, 9:02 am

I'm no expert but those look just like mites, which come in different colors. If you get a magnifying glass and count the # of legs it will help your extension service person identify it.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieB999 1/30/2013, 9:03 am

Well poop. My country extension service is about 20 miles away from me. I know I wont be making that trip anytime soon. Maybe somebody else has seen these? I will try to get a magnifying glass and look closer.
JackieB999
JackieB999

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/30/2013, 9:08 am

If they are mites I wouldn't be too concerned as they are a normal part of decomposition. They simply come and go with the food source availability.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 1/30/2013, 9:18 am

JackieB999 wrote:Well poop. My country extension service is about 20 miles away from me. I know I wont be making that trip anytime soon. Maybe somebody else has seen these? I will try to get a magnifying glass and look closer.

Contact your agent. Many times, they will come out to your place. They can answer many questions about your area. Not only about bugs, but other critters, planting times, noxious weeds, grasses, food preservation, etc. They may even provide you with an email address that you can send your photo to.
They are paid with your tax dollars. Don't be afraid to pick their brains a little.

critter - Invasion of the Unkown Critter Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/30/2013, 9:34 am

llama momma wrote:I'm no expert but those look just like mites, which come in different colors. If you get a magnifying glass and count the # of legs it will help your extension service person identify it.
I didn't think mites, I thought that perhaps they were some various life stage of a bug.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740

I echo calling the Ag Agent. Maybe you can send a sample to the entomologists for ID.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/30/2013, 9:42 am

At one point I had mites in my worm bin. The picture immediately reminded me of those. Smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/30/2013, 9:47 am

Ooh! Ooh! Check out this site with pictures of compost mites, scroll down for the pictures. http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycwasteless/downloads/pdf/materials/tipsheet-decomposerID.pdf
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/30/2013, 10:08 am

llama momma wrote:Ooh! Ooh! Check out this site with pictures of compost mites, scroll down for the pictures. http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycwasteless/downloads/pdf/materials/tipsheet-decomposerID.pdf

Great factoid sheet! Saved to my 'puter!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieB999 1/30/2013, 1:41 pm

Thanks llama... I'm feeling like they're compost mites now too, because of the yellowish clups I found in the cow manure. I will keep spraying them with my organic spray for a few days, and if they keep coming back I will call the CES and see what they have to say. Thanks everyone!
JackieB999
JackieB999

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieB999 1/30/2013, 1:44 pm

Another strange thing is that they like being on the plastic. There is plenty of dirt/manure right there if they wanted to jump in. Ya know?
JackieB999
JackieB999

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/30/2013, 1:51 pm

Worm bin mites like to gather up on top of the plastic lid too. Some kind of social festival I suppose Razz

llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/30/2013, 2:23 pm

If you can find the life cycle of said compost mite you may find the answer.... I have never heard of compost mites.............. And if you find some interesting facts about this critter please post for the rest of us.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/30/2013, 2:33 pm

llama momma wrote:Worm bin mites like to gather up on top of the plastic lid too. Some kind of social festival I suppose Razz

lol!

smiles

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/30/2013, 4:22 pm

camprn wrote:If you can find the life cycle of said compost mite you may find the answer.... I have never heard of compost mites.............. And if you find some interesting facts about this critter please post for the rest of us.

On the other post I offered the link from Cornell. Honestly I'm not terribly interested in the life cycle, but the chart lists 3 types of compost mites if someone wants to google them. All I know is they either eat, and/or become eaten and they are a normal part of the compost process. Cool? Smile

Family Gardening - sometimes I think I'm the only one that gets my goofy jokes, but I'm sure glad you got it too critter - Invasion of the Unkown Critter 3170584802
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieB999 1/30/2013, 6:03 pm

LOL... I got it too, llama! I thought it was cute.

funny post

JackieB999
JackieB999

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/30/2013, 6:06 pm

Yay! jocolor geek
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 1/30/2013, 10:01 pm

http://www.happydranch.com/articles/Mite.htm

Compost mites~
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieB999 1/31/2013, 12:29 pm

Thank you Cheyanne! I think they are those white compost mites. Good to hear that they work themselves out in a few weeks because I was loaded with them again this morning.

One other thing concerns me... it says in that article that if we put melon rind or cut POTATOES around the bin, that the mites will be attracted to that. The thing is... I'm trying to grow potaotes in there... so there are cut potatoes down below. I hope they dont damage the crop Sad
JackieB999
JackieB999

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down