Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Winter squashes and melons producing one fruit at a time? Toplef10Winter squashes and melons producing one fruit at a time? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Winter squashes and melons producing one fruit at a time? I22gcj10Winter squashes and melons producing one fruit at a time? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Winter squashes and melons producing one fruit at a time? Toplef10Winter squashes and melons producing one fruit at a time? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Winter squashes and melons producing one fruit at a time? I22gcj10Winter squashes and melons producing one fruit at a time? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:52 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:25 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/15/2024, 9:52 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:20 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Winter squashes and melons producing one fruit at a time?

3 posters

Go down

Winter squashes and melons producing one fruit at a time? Empty Winter squashes and melons producing one fruit at a time?

Post  ksbmom 11/1/2012, 6:35 pm

After looking around online, I decided to come and ask here because I know there will be lots of answers! My acorn and delicata squash plants are growing nicely and each has one fruit on the vine. There were two acorn squashes, but they were right next to each other and the smaller one eventually shriveled up and dropped off. My question is, is it normal for these vines to produce one at a time? I was hoping for a few at once! The pumpkin has two babies right now and was planted later. The plants themselves seem vigorous - some white fly damage, though not severe. Am I just being impatient? This is the first time growing these. Sorry no pictures! Will try to post some tomorrow.

Sue
ksbmom
ksbmom

Female Posts : 144

Back to top Go down

Winter squashes and melons producing one fruit at a time? Empty Re: Winter squashes and melons producing one fruit at a time?

Post  Lindacol 11/1/2012, 6:56 pm

The delicata I have was also not very vigorous. I only got 1 or 2 squash total per vine. I want to try a different variety next year as my daughter really like delicata squash.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Winter squashes and melons producing one fruit at a time? Empty Re: Winter squashes and melons producing one fruit at a time?

Post  ksbmom 11/1/2012, 8:50 pm

Lindacol, do you know what variety yours was? My seed packet just says "Delicata squash" on it. It's from Ferry Morse. I know poor pollination can be a factor, but I've seen a lot more bees in the garden this season than I have in a long time. I'm wondering if I prune back the vines if more energy will go into fruit production?
ksbmom
ksbmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 11/1/2012, 8:58 pm

ksbmom wrote:Lindacol, do you know what variety yours was? My seed packet just says "Delicata squash" on it. It's from Ferry Morse. I know poor pollination can be a factor, but I've seen a lot more bees in the garden this season than I have in a long time. I'm wondering if I prune back the vines if more energy will go into fruit production?

Not sure if I still have the packet but I think it might be the same. It just said delicata squash with no variety or strain listed. Others on this forum have liked the honeyboat delicata and I think that is what I will try next year. My delicata vines were not as hardy as the other squash (butternut & yellow summer) which did fine.

We have lots and lots of bees and other pollinators this year - my daughter had a pollinator garden and has been documenting and taking pictures of all kinds of pollinators.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 11/2/2012, 12:03 am

all of our winter squash did the same thing this year....our pumpkins produced between 1-4 per vine....the squash only 1 per plant....

we had/have a lot of bee's in and out pretty well thru the summer....we are in the PNW so our summer garden is over .....

our squash did the same thing last year too....we thought/think its because we dont have a long hot spell here....so felt blessed to get a few.....

our summer squash didnt produce as much as last year either..... :scratch:

i know not much help.....just wanted to share we had problems too....

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2422

Back to top Go down

Post  ksbmom 11/2/2012, 8:39 am

Thanks, Rose - it's always nice to know you're not the only one having problems! I look at my garden as a big experiment. Every time I grow anything I learn a lot about what to do or not do. Like this season I definitely decided that if I grow bush beans again, they need their own bed (or at least half a bed!) I know I planted other things in that bed, but the beans have taken over and I can't see whatever else it was I put in there. I gave up trying to tie them up!
ksbmom
ksbmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down