Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing? Toplef10Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing? I22gcj10Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing? Toplef10Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing? I22gcj10Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing?

+2
camprn
NHGardener
6 posters

Go down

Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing? Empty Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing?

Post  NHGardener 7/15/2011, 3:42 pm

I have one zucchini plant that is amazingly huge and deep green. The squash plants are coming right along, and one laggard zucchini plant. I have had a lot of blossoms and took maybe 3 small squashes and 3 small zucchinis off the plant and they were tasty. But since then - nothing. I'm thinking the blossoms might be falling off without producing anything. What makes squash slow down like this? I've even had a toss a couple tiny malformed squashes/zucchinis. The plants themselves don't look diseased, the leaves aren't eaten.

2 things - one is that the weather was ultra hot last week in the 90s, and the other is that I MIGHT be overwatering them, with the landscape fabric I finagled in that bed, maybe the drainage isn't quite so good there.

Any thoughts on why this is? I expected to be covered over in them by now.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing? Empty Re: Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing?

Post  camprn 7/15/2011, 4:23 pm

It sounds like you need to take matters into your own hands and pollinate the blossoms. Do you know how to do this? there are multiple threads about pollination, but basically take a small paint brush, run it around in a male flower to pick up pollen, then run it around a female flower to deposit the pollen. You should have squash again shortly. You do have blooms right? Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing? Empty Re: Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing?

Post  littlejo 7/15/2011, 4:29 pm

Well, it could be overwatering. No more than 1 time per day at most. I'd skip a day and see if that helps.
Also, if the blooms (male and female) are opening, then they are not being pollinated. You can try to do this and see if it helps.
Do you see bees around?
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/15/2011, 6:05 pm

Mine just started too, no worries, as long as we can keep the SVB, squash beetles, striped cucumber beetles and powdery mildew away we should be awash in squash soon! Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 7/15/2011, 6:28 pm

Wow - what's with the pollination? I don't remember ever running across that before.

Yes, my blooms are opening. So they're not getting pollinated if they're opening then?

Okay. So please tell me how to tell a male from a female. rofl

Artificial insemination, here we come. Paintbrush ready. I don't want to paint 2 males together, they might not like that. HAHA.

I'm all ears.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing? Empty lots of cukes, one zuke...

Post  Square Jo 7/15/2011, 6:46 pm

I have a ton of cukes and have had only one zuke so far, although I did spy another one today in the early stages, I may try the paint brush thing… I planted a small watermelon and it has blossoms, but I don't see any fruit… if the cukes are producing everything should be getting pollinated right? This is my first square foot experience.
Square Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 7/15/2011, 7:29 pm

Along with your questions Square Jo, my cukes have open blossoms too - does that mean they're not getting pollinated either?

Altho no blossoms are open tonight - I assume they close up at night. I never really noticed before.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/15/2011, 8:49 pm

Here ya go! http://forums.organicgardening.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2241078301/m/6311004901 <~~~CLICK

Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing? Female+male

http://www.liseed.org/sqpollination.jpg
male on the left, female on right, petals removed.
Why did my squashes/zucchini stop producing? Sqpollination
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 7/15/2011, 9:05 pm

Vegetables, well, sometimes they have different insects that pollinate each kind/family of veggies.My cukes and Toms had a bumble bee do them. My zukes had a small bee, might have been a reg. honey bee. Some plants are what's called self pollinating-just shake them or maybe the wind will work.

The male blossom is just on a stem, no fruit.
The female will have the fruit behind it.
If pollination does not take place, this tiny fruit will shrink and fall off.

If I tell it wrong, someone step in and correct me!

Just use the paintbrush and run it around in the male flower, it should catch the pollen.
If there is a female open, gently, brush the brush in the female flower, ta da!
If no female is open, you can put a ziploc bag over the pollinated brush until a female flower is open.

On newly blooming plants, all the blooms that open first may be all males, female blooms will come on later.

We are having to do artificial pollinating, for the honeybees have been dying, and the overuse of insecticides is killing others off.

I hope this helps. X fingers, I've never had to do this. Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 7/15/2011, 9:10 pm

[quote="camprn"]Here ya go!
The pictures help a lot! I have a question. Does the female flower have to be open when you trim the flower to get inside? because, I've never seen the female flower open on my zukes. Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 7/15/2011, 9:33 pm

Wow. I didn't realize I'd be performing surgery on my squashes. Very Happy I think maybe I should give them a little privacy, hold up a screen or something...

Seriously tho, it bothers me that maybe there aren't enough bees around here to do the pollinating. Maybe the squashes bloomed during a rain when the bees couldn't get to them - I'm hoping that's all it was. The bees have seemed to pollinate my raspberries and blackberries tho.

Okay - tomorrow is the Big Day - we're gonna get some squash babies going here.

Thank you for the help!!
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Aub 7/15/2011, 11:14 pm

My squash and zukes will do good for a while and then all of a sudden... BAM! I've got mushy, shriveling veggies.
My hubby thinks they might be getting too much water. I turn the sprinkler on when I go to work at 9 and he doesn't turn it off until 11 or so. I'm going to get a timer so I don't have that problem any more.
Aub
Aub

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 7/16/2011, 8:42 pm

Don't forget to pollinate your blossoms in the morning. Blossoms will close in the early afternnon and stay closed at night.

I never removed the leaves on my blossoms, just used a q-tip to move pollen from a male to a female.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 7/16/2011, 11:13 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:Don't forget to pollinate your blossoms in the morning. Blossoms will close in the early afternnon and stay closed at night.

I figured that out today when I went out at 3 p.m. to help them pollinate. All the blossoms were closed. I was scratching my head but figured they must only be open in the morning.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down